Anyone else sad Mickey+Minnie's houses are going?

mharrington

Good idea, and I think it would give Circusland some more substance. Circuses travel from city to city around the country. How about the circus has made its way to Mickey's town and the gang is invited to join in on the fun ... hence The Great Goofini. Mickey could be a lion tamer with Pluto dressed as a lion, etc. Circusland seems silly and cheesy enough, so having the original Mickey Mouse gang included seems like a natural fit.

Nah, maybe having the gang joining in might be overdoing it.

PhilharMagician

I used to think the houses should stay, but after seeing them in december, they looked like they had passed their time, like the rest of toontown.

it is time for something new.

Yeah, the houses need a lot of TLC. I cannot see them being moved in there current state. I was really surprised at the amount of rotten wood on both houses. It is time to go.

PurpleRose

I am a big supporter of the idea of getting a real Toon Town at Hollywood Studios. I do look at the photos of Toon Town from DL and get jealous. It would be awesome to have something like that here.

mharrington

I am a big supporter of the idea of getting a real Toon Town at Hollywood Studios. I do look at the photos of Toon Town from DL and get jealous. It would be awesome to have something like that here.

But what about the Magic Kingdom, the most kid-friendly of the parks? I will tell you about my idea that the Magic Kingdom should have a reliable spot for Mickey and the gang there. It is inspired by what a book says (albeit one not necessarily endorsed by Disney itself). It's called "Mouse Under Glass". Actually, this section where I got what I'm to say is more about the inspiration for the Roger Rabbit ride, so I'm just going to do the first paragraph (there are six in all):

The inspiration for the Roger Rabbit-influenced Mickey's Toontown traces back to Mickey's Starland at Walt Disney World, itself engendered by two interrelated problems at the theme parks. Here was Mickey Mouse, Disney's most famous, most beloved character, and in 30 years of theme parks, he didn't have his own attraction. Neither did his pals, Minnie, Donald, Pluto and Goofy. Furthermore, for small children the highlight of a trip to Disneyland or Disney World is getting the chance to meet the characters, especially Mickey, yet there was no place to reliably find him. Mickey's Starland was developed as a collection of cartoon-style homes and shops where guests could meet the costumed characters. It was always planned as a temporary area since the concept was so limited. About all there was to do was shake a few furry hands and snap a few photos.

There you have it, the first paragraph. In any case, if you noticed the italicized words, you would notice that that pretty much seals it that WDW's Magic Kingdom simply must have a reliable spot for Mickey and the gang.

PurpleRose

The characters aren't going anywhere. Just the homes that should have disappeared years ago. There will still be a reliable place to see the Fab 6 in the park. Aren't they still going to Main Street?

S

stphnbogert

The characters aren't going anywhere. Just the homes that should have disappeared years ago. There will still be a reliable place to see the Fab 6 in the park. Aren't they still going to Main Street?

They are. It's funny cause everyone complained about Toontown and how it was suppose to be temporary and now that its going, we now need a place for the fab 6. I don't think they need a place to call "home" because the fab 6 deserve more than a street with a few houses on it. in my opinion the 5th gate should be for the fab 6. 6 different lands (one for each character and throw in some classic disney characters (who aren't or barely in the other parks) to intertwine with their storylines. i think it would be cool if they did something like that.

PurpleRose

The overall point to me is that TT in DL isn't just where Mickey lives. There is soooo much to it. It's substantial. There's so much more to do there. The only thing I really enjoyed about TTF is the Goofy coaster (for my niece, she LOVES Goofy), the paintings in Minnie's house, and the mailboxes. I love Minnie and Mickey's mail boxes. I lament that we don't have a full TT, not the loss of the homes.

CrescentLake

They are. It's funny cause everyone complained about Toontown and how it was suppose to be temporary and now that its going, we now need a place for the fab 6. I don't think they need a place to call "home" because the fab 6 deserve more than a street with a few houses on it. in my opinion the 5th gate should be for the fab 6. 6 different lands (one for each character and throw in some classic disney characters (who aren't or barely in the other parks) to intertwine with their storylines. i think it would be cool if they did something like that.

I agree 100%. Although that would be my idea for a 6th gate, the 5th being a "Port Disney" type thing. Two things about that though: 1) I would be worried about the detail and immersiveness and TDO doing it "on the cheap." and 2) We really need to get the other 4 gates up to par before another park is made.

Anyways, I'm both sad and happy to see Toontown go. I really liked the idea, just not the execution. I will miss it, especially the background music.

S

stphnbogert

I agree 100%. Although that would be my idea for a 6th gate, the 5th being a "Port Disney" type thing. Two things about that though: 1) I would be worried about the detail and immersiveness and TDO doing it "on the cheap." and 2) We really need to get the other 4 gates up to par before another park is made.

Anyways, I'm both sad and happy to see Toontown go. I really liked the idea, just not the execution. I will miss it, especially the background music.

what do you mean a port disney? like tokyo's disney sea? in that case YES! i think we need a BIG water park but bigger than typhoon lagoon or blizzard beach. its bittersweet that toontown is going but we just gotta remember that some good is coming out of it. disney is spending money on new attractions...its a sign of better things to come.

CrescentLake

what do you mean a port disney? like tokyo's disney sea? in that case YES! i think we need a BIG water park but bigger than typhoon lagoon or blizzard beach. its bittersweet that toontown is going but we just gotta remember that some good is coming out of it. disney is spending money on new attractions...its a sign of better things to come.

I suppose so, yeah. I saw the idea on the imagineering forum here on my lurking days. But something like Tokyo Disney Sea...

I agree. As long as we have progress in the parks I can't complain. I'm sure Mickey and his pals will get some attraction eventually...

mharrington

I just think it's a wasted idea to just put the characters in the Exposition Hall just for the convenience of the guests and nothing more. And besides, the building is also a bit of an awkward location: right near the park entrance.

Timon

I just think it's a wasted idea to just put the characters in the Exposition Hall just for the convenience of the guests and nothing more. And besides, the building is also a bit of an awkward location: right near the park entrance.

I agree it certainly less than ideal. As there are limits to every budget I think Disney realized they had to have a Mickey & Friends MnG somewhere in the MK. Exhibition Hall was kind of under utilized so why not until a permanent, creative and quality solution is funded and built.

It ain't perfect but hopefully something better will be added later.

mharrington

I agree it certainly less than ideal. As there are limits to every budget I think Disney realized they had to have a Mickey & Friends MnG somewhere in the MK. Exhibition Hall was kind of under utilized so why not until a permanent, creative and quality solution is funded and built.

It ain't perfect but hopefully something better will be added later.

I would have utilized that space differently.

RunnerEd

I've always thought that the space between the back of Main Street and Tomorrowland where the Galaxy Theater used to be would be a great location for a new ToonTown type area. There's plenty of space and it's pretty much a parking lot now anyway.

Timon

I've always thought that the space between the back of Main Street and Tomorrowland where the Galaxy Theater used to be would be a great location for a new ToonTown type area. There's plenty of space and it's pretty much a parking lot now anyway.

There's room for a Carousel of Progress sized attraction but much bigger and you'd block the Railroad underpass. The parking lot is actually a special events staging area for press events, Christmas TV Parade production trucks, Grad Night buses, etc. There's also deliveries for six or so restaurants and outdoor foods.

If you want space, rebuild the raceway so the electric powered vehicle load/unload is down by the Peoplemover and the track runs under the RR beyond the berm to a new show building next to Space Mt. That would free up several in-berm acres from the present day Toontown south to the new speedway load unload and blend nicely from Fatasyland

Scar Junior

I guess theoretically I mind... But so long as the space is put to better use I'm okay with it. Just like I'm okay with the removal of TSI, the Speedway and the Backlot Tour... Sure, everyone would love to see a full-land Toontown but I think those days are passed us - unless it magically transforms at DHS...

It's not like they're eliminating Mickey... He'll still be in Mainstreet. Not the best use of space IMHO - I think One Man's Dream should be there... But I don't understand this childish insistence that WDW is not complete without cartoon houses that were never utilized and took up space.

inluvwithbeast

As a little kid, I always preferred to imagine that Mickey had a lovely house tucked away on-property, hidden from view. Lol.

I will not miss the houses that much. You didn't even meet Mickey in the actual house. You met him inside a tent, a very unmagical tent.

Disneykidder

I am soooooo upset about the removal of the homes. Kids and adults love to go and see it. Kids get a kick out of seeing where the fab duo live. I have been saying this since the announcement of the expansion that I think Fanttasyland will be lovely, but seems more female oriented. As a mommy of all boys this bumbs me out. B&tB seems to be taking over (my fav movie so I am cool with it) but for boys...not so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom