Anyone else disappointed...that they expand FANTASYLAND?

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I have to confess, I am generally disappointed by the entire decision to expand Fantasyland und in detail by the plans for the expansion.

I know in Fantasyland there ist most of available area for an expansion due to the demolishing of 20.000 Leagues. And the kind of provisoric character Mickeys Toontown Fair always had (at least to me).
But if you know about the projects in the line for the MK in the last 20 or so years again, IMHO, they chose one of the most lame projects. They didn't even include Villains Mountain into the expansion plans but instead design a complete new E-ticket that doesn't sound too thrilling to me.

I would have liked the plans for a larger Adventureland to be chosen instead, especially for Fire Mountain as the new E-Ticket reverse coaster in my favorite land.

What do you think?

Ignohippo

I think the idea with the FLE is quite simply to right the wrongs from the original construction of MK. Fantasyland is the center of the MK experience and what makes it different from the other parks. The Fantasyland at MK is almost non-existent.

Nearly any ride you would put into Adventureland, Tomorrowland, etc. would also fit in any of the other Disney Parks. Fantasyland is different.

Those other projects may come to be at some point, but the FLE is the project that will define the MK for generations to come.

Lucky

I don't really think about whether they could have done something even better. I just think the park will be a lot better with the FL expansion than it is now, and that's enough for me.

If I could change anything about WDW, it would be something else, like slow bus service or unwillingness to do enough about badly-behaving guests.

DonaldDoleWhip

Honestly, I'm ok with the idea of expanding Fantasyland. For decades, people have criticized MK's Fantasyland for its cheap carnival look, especially compared to the lavish, marvelously themed FL's of Disneyland and Disneyland Paris.

And now, Disney's doing something to change that. The new expansion will be heavily themed, and although I wish it featured more rides (and less pixies), it's far better than what was there before (DL's sub ride didn't amaze me, and Toontown/Pooh playground were cheap fillers). And although we originally thought West Fantasyland wouldn't change at all, at least Disney's doing exterior refurbishments and other things to keep the area fresh.

For me personally, I would have preferred Fire Mountain in Adventureland, a properly updated Space Mountain, or even more rides in FL. But when this is done, our Fantasyland should compare to the others around the world, which I guess will please a lot of people.

And I'm really looking forward to TLM. It's one of my favorite Disney movies (and I'm a guy), up there with Lion King.

eeyoremum

I am very excited about the expansion. I think Fantasy Land needed something. I am however disappointed that Disney has chosen not to add more of a male element to the expansion. Changing the name of a carrousel is not really cutting it. Toon town was more of a gender neutral space. It looks to me that Fantasy Land is going to be all girly and not appealing to my sons and husband. I do realise that parents of girls likely spend more. I mean with BBB and all the princess items in the parks that must be the case. My guys are beyond stuffed toys and there are only so many Disney t-shirts and hats they can own.

Mikk(y)'sMinnie

I am very excited about the expansion. I think Fantasy Land needed something. I am however disappointed that Disney has chosen not to add more of a male element to the expansion. Changing the name of a carrousel is not really cutting it. Toon town was more of a gender neutral space. It looks to me that Fantasy Land is going to be all girly and not appealing to my sons and husband. I do realise that parents of girls likely spend more. I mean with BBB and all the princess items in the parks that must be the case. My guys are beyond stuffed toys and there are only so many Disney t-shirts and hats they can own.

I think you are exactly right about this and my husband is all ready complaining. My husband is a huge Disney nut, we go often and he is excited about the FLE but he says there is absolutely nothing for boys in the new expansion and from what I have heard you are both right. I guess the dumbo attraction is gender neutral but there should be something else fitting for just the boys or at least something a little more gender neutral.

Mr.Skunkape

One thing that I do like about the new addition is that it looks to have much more water,grass, and trees in the area compared to the rest of the magic kingdom that is a pavement jungle. But I do think they could have added more rides.

DonaldDoleWhip

To be fair, a large chunk of MK is geared towards boys: pirates, adventure, cowboys, space, etc. And while you could say some girls like these things, the same could be said about some boys liking princesses.

Honestly, a lot of boys like meeting the princesses. I still remember Cinderella kissing me on the cheek on the lower level of the castle (before you had to pay obscene prices to take a picture with her as part of a meal package), and while little boys probably don't want princess merch, the experience of meeting the princesses and exploring their castles (and going under the sea) could still be enjoyable.

One thing that I do like about the new addition is that it looks to have much more water,grass, and trees in the area compared to the rest of the magic kingdom that is a pavement jungle. But I do think they could have added more rides.
I agree - even though I didn't like the subs, I always liked looking at the lagoon. It just added some color and nature to that area of the park. Now we're getting some water again, as well as a beautifully themed forest area.

floridabill

I don't really think about whether they could have done something even better. I just think the park will be a lot better with the FL expansion than it is now, and that's enough for me.

If I could change anything about WDW, it would be something else, like slow bus service or unwillingness to do enough about badly-behaving guests.

Bus service I get it! But what can you do about bad behaving guests??:shrug: reprimand them? then they'll never come back lol. Sadly people will still do as they please.

DisneyWeather!

As a father of two girls (2 visits) and a boy (0 visits), I am excited for the new addition. The scenery should be ultra Disney and add to the Magic. For me, its about the Magic on my kids faces. The girls love Ariel and Belle so adding these two areas is awesome for us. And lets face it, everybody loves the Little Mermaid with Sebastian singing. I just wish it would all be done sooner than scheduled. As noted above, most of the rest of the MK is more male oriented if you break it all down.

JafarMaleficent

I actully can't wait for the new fantasyland. I'm a guy and i love the princesses. I think the meet and greets are going to be cool. I just wish they added more rides.

dvcnut39

I think they had to expand FL. Busiest land in the busiest park in the world. Plus, let's not forget, that MK is by far, the smallest of all the WDW parks.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
OK i got it

OK I got it, I am nearly the only one. :lookaroun

I have been away from wdwmagic for quite some time so I have so far only the basics about the FLE.

Am I getting it right that the entire FLE features only ONE new Ride? The Little Mermaid? And the entire rest of it is only a gargantuan meet and greet area plus some new restaurants (which are alos partially meet and greet).

Does anyone know why they didn't at least take Villain Mountain as the new E-Ticket in the FLE and why they planned the largest expansion in the history of the MK with an absolute minimum of new rides or other non-meet-and-greet attractions?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am dissappointed by FLE. In fact I am utterly underwhelmed. I am however excited for the new landscape. We need trees and bushes and water in that area of the park. So that will be great.

Testtrack321

I always thought that "Villain Mountain" was a Jim Hill pie in sky WDI thought, never a fully developed idea.

There will ALWAYS be people disappointed. We're getting a better looking FL and people complain. They add another country to WS and someone will complain. They expand the monorail and someone will want more rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom