Any Updates on Test Track Redo?

baymenxpac

I know most people have you on ignore at this point, so I'm not sure if my response will even show up for them. I do agree with you though regarding RSR. I haven't been on it, it looks incredible, and I would ride it if it was in Florida. Having said that, I would much prefer something unique in Florida. Based on early response, I would think a Carsland in Florida would probably be RSR and Tow Mater's but no Flying Tires. I also think that it would have to be substantially less detailed than DCA's version. It would seem silly to clone absolutely everything.

What happens to fanboys is that they want they know. Historically, Disney excelled by bringing us stuff that we didn't know we wanted. It's been a problem for a while now that this has changed. "Oh, this is popular here, let's reproduce it here people will love it!" In many cases, this approach is successful but it doesn't make it right. Rehashing the same concepts is the quickest way for something to become stale.

agreed. we all bemoan something as small as generic merch that's co-branded with WDW and DLR on the tag, but then we clamor for the latest DLR attraction to come to WDW? seems silly. honestly, i have no real interest in carsland in florida. don't get me wrong, i'd never turn my nose up at the addition of a new ticket. but i'd much rather something unique.

Californian Elitist

NO RSR AT WDW PLEASE! It is just a short plane ride to experience RSR so why clone it in the states? I can see clones of lesser attractions but not something like RSR and Carsland. It is much better to get an entirely unique one of a kind major addition when talking about a land and attraction of this magnitude.

How about Star Wars on a CarsLand scale? Or LotR? Or Avatar? Oh wait, I guess we are getting that. Or Discovery Bay? Or Tomorrowland on a CarsLand scale? Or WRE? Unlimited possibilities.

Agreed, we JUST got this at DCA and people want it to be cloned for WDW. Why? Wouldn't people rather see a fresh and new idea be brought to the parks? Cars Land should stay in California and something original should be brought to Florida.

TP2000

Interestingly, the "big new ride" for Florida this year is a clone from DCA that opened in California in 2011; The Little Mermaid. And Mermaid is still a walk-on in DCA, even after its May rehab with a new hairdo and new spefx added. I suppose if you force people to get Fastpasses or NextGen Xpasses for Mermaid in WDW, you can build up a forced Standby queue and thus justify the nicer queue Mermaid is getting in WDW. But at DCA, this Ominmover ride has a 5 minute wait at most and the little garden switchback it uses on "busy" days is perfectly nice in the lovely SoCal climate.

Cars Land at WDW? It'll never happen, at least not with those currently in power in TDO. I think TDO knows they need to pour money into a few key areas, most likely DHS, DAK and targeted areas of Epcot and MK. They can't be that blind.

But with some very dark storm clouds now moving in over Europe, impacting a huge chunk of the WDW customer demographic, I'm not sure the first half of this decade will be able to launch anything on the scale of Cars Land for WDW.

ChrisM

While something original would be dandy, I'd gladly take a clone over absolutely nothing.

While DHS appears to be completely lost as a park and a concept the powers that be would get a huge thumbs up from me if they ripped out the stunt show and the mouldering remains of the backlot tour and wedged some facsimilie of Carsland in there. Something like that would be vastly preferable to a crappy show and a closed section of the park.

jt04

I know most people have you on ignore at this point, so I'm not sure if my response will even show up for them. I do agree with you though regarding RSR. I haven't been on it, it looks incredible, and I would ride it if it was in Florida. Having said that, I would much prefer something unique in Florida. Based on early response, I would think a Carsland in Florida would probably be RSR and Tow Mater's but no Flying Tires. I also think that it would have to be substantially less detailed than DCA's version. It would seem silly to clone absolutely everything.

What happens to fanboys is that they want they know. Historically, Disney excelled by bringing us stuff that we didn't know we wanted. It's been a problem for a while now that this has changed. "Oh, this is popular here, let's reproduce it here people will love it!" In many cases, this approach is successful but it doesn't make it right. Rehashing the same concepts is the quickest way for something to become stale.

I am for unique new offerings to 'anchor' a land. Like I said, cloning lesser attractions makes sense but duplicating RSR in Florida seems pointless. Although it would make perfect sense in someplace like China.

PS I know "most people" do not use the ignore function as it is beneath most adults to engage in such a childish tactic. Mostly it is the exact same people who have tried it three other times before. Almost all of them are "Potterites" who can't stomach having their boy Potter dissed.

As I said before I post mostly for the sake of a number of people who prefer to just lurk rather than take any incoming fire for expressing a contrary view.

jt04

Agreed, we JUST got this at DCA and people want it to be cloned for WDW. Why? Wouldn't people rather see a fresh and new idea be brought to the parks? Cars Land should stay in California and something original should be brought to Florida.

Exactly and I would be very shocked to hear of a clone at DHS. Especially since they are plussing Test Track for the long term.

WDW1974

Finally dawning I was right huh?

Right?

About what? Are you gonna crow about Carsland looking great? ... because I always expected it to be, but that has absolutely nothing to do with WDW. You know that. Just like you know many (most?) here won't ever set foot in Anaheim.

BTW, have you ever been to DLR? ... How about UNI (either CA or FL)? ... What about WDW? When did you last visit those parks/resorts? Did you stay at Disney hotels?

Or do you exist here just to perpetuate circular arguments that generally crow about Disney management being so wonderful?

(Yes, I do realize I am engaging the JT!)

WDW1974

DLR is Lasseter's own personal playland, WDW isn't. They have so much stuff in the pipeline it's ridiculous. WDW is still the ugly stepchild. The only way we'll get change: Stagg's moves to Florida and brings Lasseter with him.

You are going to bash JL for going to bat for a place he loves and worked at?

Maybe the stuff that is happening at DLR is because they have a more savvy visitor and are located in the media/entertainment capital of the world?

Maybe it isn't happening here because of lousy management mixed with a fanbase of returnees who think WDW has never been better?

Oh, and you wanna bet Staggs is out of the company when Iger goes?

WDW1974

agreed. we all bemoan something as small as generic merch that's co-branded with WDW and DLR on the tag, but then we clamor for the latest DLR attraction to come to WDW? seems silly. honestly, i have no real interest in carsland in florida. don't get me wrong, i'd never turn my nose up at the addition of a new ticket. but i'd much rather something unique.

Don't worry. The closest thing to Cars Land in FLA is the new Cars section of the Art of Animation hotel.

But I also wouldn't get excited about anything coming to WDW in the near term (either announced or not).

Californian Elitist

Maybe the stuff that is happening at DLR is because they have a more savvy visitor and are located in the media/entertainment capital of the world?

Maybe it isn't happening here because of lousy management mixed with a fanbase of returnees who think WDW has never been better?

Exactly. You can't blame Lasseter for loving Disneyland so much. Lasseter is big on Disney history, so of course he's head over heels about Disneyland. Not to mention he worked there. If I worked for the parks I'd give a lot of love to Disneyland too, one of the reasons being I was a former CM. I'm sure a former WDW CM would do the exact same thing for WDW and it's totally understanadble.

jt04

Right?

About what? Are you gonna crow about Carsland looking great? ... because I always expected it to be, but that has absolutely nothing to do with WDW. You know that. Just like you know many (most?) here won't ever set foot in Anaheim.

BTW, have you ever been to DLR? ... How about UNI (either CA or FL)? ... What about WDW? When did you last visit those parks/resorts? Did you stay at Disney hotels?

Or do you exist here just to perpetuate circular arguments that generally crow about Disney management being so wonderful?

(Yes, I do realize I am engaging the JT!)

Been to all the parks you mention. Stayed in many resorts at WDW across the spectrum. Moot point.

My point these past few years you have been here (looooong before you) was that Iger was turning around the way business is done and that they would only likely approve things like Carsland and BVS and the FLE. Not exactly the level of quality of what we were seeing after Frank Wells passed.

It is OK to admit you were wrong. And if you can't at this point (which I imagine you find nearly impossible in your everyday life also) the day is coming soon where it won't matter as everyone will realize I was right all along. And then you will sulk back to your 'happy place'. (enter waving smiley here)

jt04

Exactly. You can't blame Lasseter for loving Disneyland so much. Lasseter is big on Disney history, so of course he's head over heels about Disneyland. Not to mention he worked there. If I worked for the parks I'd give a lot of love to Disneyland too, one of the reasons being I was a former CM. I'm sure a former WDW CM would do the exact same thing for WDW and it's totally understanadble.

My hunch is that the 'meme' of Lasseter not really caring about WDW is going to be completetly discredited. Especially if DCA is the success I think it will be.

And yes I know others were mostly responsible for things like Carsland but team Iger/Lasseter are the 'change agents' in this storybook turnaround. No doubt about it.

jt04

Oh, and as evidence that the future also belongs to WDW, just compare the train station of Mickey's Birthday Starland and Country Fair to the new train station. Simple as that.

misterID

Not bashing him at all.

If he can do it, more power to him.

My point was WDW doesn't have a John Lasseter.

baymenxpac

Don't worry. The closest thing to Cars Land in FLA is the new Cars section of the Art of Animation hotel.

But I also wouldn't get excited about anything coming to WDW in the near term (either announced or not).

sigh. spirit, when does it all change?

btw, in the midst of planning my first trip to the west coast, so DLR, here i come!

RSoxNo1

Disneyland fans are smarter than Disney World fans.

RSoxNo1

Disneyland fans are smarter than Disney World fans.
What do you mean?
I probably should have said Disneyland guests are smarter than Disney World guests. Fans implies I'm talking about the people on this forum. The average Disneyland guest has a better understanding of the layout of the parks than your average Disney World guest. The average Disneyland guest has certain expectations that are higher than that of your average Disney World guest.

Disney is aware of this. They don't put Fastpass on as many attractions over there because part of the system's effectiveness is the people that don't know how to use it. Disney has to cater to Annual Passholders with many more special events that aren't offered to Disney World guests.

Californian Elitist

I probably should have said Disneyland guests are smarter than Disney World guests. Fans implies I'm talking about the people on this forum. The average Disneyland guest has a better understanding of the layout of the parks than your average Disney World guest. The average Disneyland guest has certain expectations that are higher than that of your average Disney World guest.

Disney is aware of this. They don't put Fastpass on as many attractions over there because part of the system's effectiveness is the people that don't know how to use it. Disney has to cater to Annual Passholders with many more special events that aren't offered to Disney World guests.

Oooohhhh. I see what you're saying.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Don't agree. The FP issue out west is mostly space.. combined with lack of demand. Simply put.. DL lines are shorter than WDW.. almost universally. DL's cramped spaces makes FP a significant burden.

I would also make the distinction between 'average' and 'dominate'. The average as in 'model customer' is generally the same.. in fact in many ways has lower expectations than a WDW guest. They aren't expected that 'end to end' experience of the WDW resort.. they treat DL as a day or two thing.. they don't plan their trips out months in advance, etc. That is not the same as the DOMINATE by volume customer.. which is that 'I've been to the parks more times than I can count..' AP who grew up with the parks.

The model customer and dominate customer have different views on FP.. and generally it's because the 'hit the park for a few hours' guy has more negative than positives from FP. FP's implementation out there is mostly a function of form and lack of demand there. 45mins is a 'major' wait to DLR. The dominate demographic makes it so waits don't generally swell up because they just pass over the ride.. so lines rarely get huge. Without major lines.. FP has less value to the park. DL hasn't held back on FP because they are afraid of APs maxing it out... they simply don't want the hassle of it.

DL isn't afraid of that 'average' (by volume) AP customer abusing FP... its just in less demand out there due to the lower average waits and the hassles are significantly more for them. Why go through all the hassle when your dominate population doesn't really need it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom