Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disnyfan89

All I can say is they better be giving this the same care and attention they gave Great Moments with Lincoln when they finally held true to their promise of bringing it back at Disneyland.

SeaCastle

All I can say is they better be giving this the same care and attention they gave Great Moments with Lincoln when they finally held true to their promise of bringing it back at Disneyland.

I second this. If they're going to re-install the old show, they might as well maintain it. Towards the end of Under New Management's life there had been reports of everything being covered in dust and a lot of broken animatronics. I hope they give the classic show the attention it deserves.

Thrill Seeker

Discussion Kingdom did a WDW Photo Update with this refurb sign that's now outside the Tiki Room. Notice no Iago or Zazu!

dsc05206m.jpg

That wasn't there a couple days ago. Before they just had the Tiki Room roped off with the show times listed as closed.

LudwigVonDrake

I second this. If they're going to re-install the old show, they might as well maintain it. Towards the end of Under New Management's life there had been reports of everything being covered in dust and a lot of broken animatronics. I hope they give the classic show the attention it deserves.

When I saw the show in July, Jose was absolutely covered in dust. To use a popular phrase around here, "It was Bad show".

aladdin2007

Does anyone know if maybe all along they had planned to close the show in spring for bringing the original back, but just ended up starting sooner cause of the fire? ...OR was it really an over night last minute oh we might as well reluctant choice because of the fire?

Does anyone know if maybe all along they had planned to close the show in spring for bringing the original back, but just ended up starting sooner cause of the fire? ...OR was it really an over night last minute oh we might as well reluctant choice because of the fire?

I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was solely because of the fire, however.

SeaCastle

There had been plans for a while to update the Under New Management show. I believe it was tirian who said that Carousel of Progress and the Tiki Room were due for updates for the 40th but those plans were shelved.

However, I wouldn't totally throw out the possibility that the Tiki Room was going to receive a refurbishment, fire or not. I guess it could explain why it will take only six months to change the show back to Tropical Serenade while it took seven-eight months to update Under New Management. I have read on Discussion Kingdom (and have re-posted here) that it's more beneficial for Disney to completely refurbish the show like they're doing now, in part due to the show mechanics and hardware.

lazyboy97o

It seems it was not so much a reluctant choice, but a cheaper and easier choice.

There had been plans for a while to update the Under New Management show. I believe it was tirian who said that Carousel of Progress and the Tiki Room were due for updates for the 40th but those plans were shelved.

However, I wouldn't totally throw out the possibility that the Tiki Room was going to receive a refurbishment, fire or not. I guess it could explain why it will take only six months to change the show back to Tropical Serenade while it took seven-eight months to update Under New Management. I have read on Discussion Kingdom (and have re-posted here) that it's more beneficial for Disney to completely refurbish the show like they're doing now, in part due to the show mechanics and hardware.
I think the quicker change over time has more to do with the new technology employed. If they already work on how to update the show, they they know what is needed and since programming is digital, the initial big work can be copied. Also, Under New Management featured the addition of four new animatronics plus the new lighting package. Removing, or just leaving hidden, that equipment is a lot easier than putting it into place.

Scuttle

I freaking love all the new stuff that's happening at the MK. I have realistically been to the MK 200 times in my life. When the FLE is complete it's going to give me that first time feeling again and I am so ridiculously excited about that! Plus the Tiki room is coming back this is incredible. I'm starting to think the MK is going to give DL a run for what park is superior when the FLE is done. I mean come on EO and now the birds what's next? Dare I say Toad? Ok it's not going to happen, but these changes do give us hope.

I freaking love all the new stuff that's happening at the MK. I have realistically been to the MK 200 times in my life. When the FLE is complete it's going to give me that first time feeling again and I am so ridiculously excited about that! Plus the Tiki room is coming back this is incredible. I'm starting to think the MK is going to give DL a run for what park is superior when the FLE is done. I mean come on EO and now the birds what's next? Dare I say Toad? Ok it's not going to happen, but these changes do give us hope.

Nice to see some enthusiasm on here. I think if TL could get fixed, MK would be in pretty amazing shape.

Disneyfanman

A friend of mine who works as a CM called me a while ago and said he had the "inside word" on the Tiki Room. I have absolutely no proof of this but thought it would be fun to post as a total rumor. He HAS tipped me on a few things that have ended up happening (i.e. the ghosts changing at the HM) but has been wrong multiple times as well. Here's what he said:

Disney had shelved the actual update for awhile due to budget, but that they have had plans ready to go for awhile. The rumor mill had it on again off again for the last year or so.

They want to be able to market a "New Show", but also to keep costs at a bare minimum. That means leveraging existing show productions currently in existence, but adding in enough to call it "New".

The idea is to use "classic elements" such as the opening tune, magic fountain, tiki driven finale, rain storm, etc, but to not return the entire show which was judged as poor on surveys in the years before it left. These are already show produced and would only require a minimum of refreshening

Some elements of the Tokyo show would be used due to it's popularity and the fact that the elements are already show produced. A few new show elements would be produced new. Most would be transplants or existing.

Here's the interesting piece. The show would have random elements that changed each time. So, like the new Star Tours, there would be a random middle element and ending element. The computer would select and "blend" the three portions for a seamless show. WDW could market that element as a "40th anniversary extra" or something like that.

They were NOT ready to fund the changes until the fire. But the incident forced their hand, and with the recovery of insurance the opportunity was too good to pass by. He also said that information seems to be changing all the time and he can't always separate rumors from facts, but that's what THEY hear is happening.

Last he said that the animatronics were being repaired, not replaced. Nothing new mechanically unless absolutely necessary. He said that there was pretty extensive damage to things like speakers, lighting, etc and that stuff was going to be replaced so they anticipated a much more up to date sound and lighting system, but repaired animatronics only. No Zazu or Iago. (One of them was damaged beyond repair and the other will be removed)

So two things before I finish. I have no "inside contacts" at WDW beyond my friend. He could be totally wrong or "munching" on random rumors. He is a pretty big DisneyGeek so his excitement could be getting away from him.

But wouldn't it be cool if he was right?

Then again, he also told me several years ago that replacing the entire track at Space Mountain was a "done deal".

Neverland

The idea is to use "classic elements" such as the opening tune, magic fountain, tiki driven finale, rain storm, etc, but to not return the entire show which was judged as poor on surveys in the years before it left. These are already show produced and would only require a minimum of refreshening

Some elements of the Tokyo show would be used due to it's popularity and the fact that the elements are already show produced. A few new show elements would be produced new. Most would be transplants or existing.

Here's the interesting piece. The show would have random elements that changed each time. So, like the new Star Tours, there would be a random middle element and ending element. The computer would select and "blend" the three portions for a seamless show. WDW could market that element as a "40th anniversary extra" or something like that.

I could be very happy with exactly that. That sounds like the old show, but refreshed with the whole random element. Very cool sounding, I think.

Which elements from Tokyo? I do like their show, but I prefer the Tiki Room un-synergized, and given the Magic Kingdom's track record with Stitch attractions... Well... :lookaroun

Buried20KLeague

A friend of mine who works as a CM called me a while ago and said he had the "inside word" on the Tiki Room. I have absolutely no proof of this but thought it would be fun to post as a total rumor. He HAS tipped me on a few things that have ended up happening (i.e. the ghosts changing at the HM) but has been wrong multiple times as well. Here's what he said:

Disney had shelved the actual update for awhile due to budget, but that they have had plans ready to go for awhile. The rumor mill had it on again off again for the last year or so.

They want to be able to market a "New Show", but also to keep costs at a bare minimum. That means leveraging existing show productions currently in existence, but adding in enough to call it "New".

They were NOT ready to fund the changes until the fire. But the incident forced their hand, and with the recovery of insurance the opportunity was too good to pass by. He also said that information seems to be changing all the time and he can't always separate rumors from facts, but that's what THEY hear is happening.

Last he said that the animatronics were being repaired, not replaced. Nothing new mechanically unless absolutely necessary. He said that there was pretty extensive damage to things like speakers, lighting, etc and that stuff was going to be replaced so they anticipated a much more up to date sound and lighting system, but repaired animatronics only. No Zazu or Iago. (One of them was damaged beyond repair and the other will be removed)

So two things before I finish. I have no "inside contacts" at WDW beyond my friend. He could be totally wrong or "munching" on random rumors. He is a pretty big DisneyGeek so his excitement could be getting away from him.

Then again, he also told me several years ago that replacing the entire track at Space Mountain was a "done deal".

While this all sounds like it would be great... A couple things stand out.

First off, the idea of "insurance money" was discussed when the fire initially happened, and those in the know said attractions at the parks are "self insured"... Meaning Disney doesn't get a check from somebody when something like this happens.

Second, I think you're probably correct with the whole "keeping costs to a minimum"... Which would lead me to believe any possibility of varying experiences would be far-fetched.

sublimesting

that all sounds rather logical. Now if we could get a structure fire at COP...

aladdin2007

So they dont want to spend a dime, but what exactly is it they are doing then, dusting, fixing lights and speakers, doing away with three of the animatronics, (iago, zazu, goddess) restoring the fountain, a couple of the songs, yet integrating a couple new songs? So we will basically get a mish mash of this and that? A bit confusing,,,but I can see where this would be an exclusive tiki room show something not found anywhere else which is cool, and the fact that a song or two can change in the middle via computers sounds fun too. But it sounds like they are just throwing something together on a whim? Im not sure thats going to turn out so well.:shrug: paging Magicot, Martin, anyone else? :wave:

TinkerBell9988

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I find it hard to believe this... I have an 'inside source' who is not a 'cast member', and he/she told me that all original elements are returning. Nothing totally new, other than re-establishing the original show from 1971.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom