Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buried20KLeague

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I find it hard to believe this... I have an 'inside source' who is not a 'cast member', and he/she told me that all original elements are returning. Nothing totally new, other than re-establishing the original show from 1971.

Which, to me, is the best news I've heard all day. :wave:

Disneyfanman

The original show would be just fine with me too. I think CMs get carried away with their own rumors. That's why I thought was interesting, but I have plenty of my own doubts.

Hakuna Matata

devoy1701

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I find it hard to believe this... I have an 'inside source' who is not a 'cast member', and he/she told me that all original elements are returning. Nothing totally new, other than re-establishing the original show from 1971.

Which, to me, is the best news I've heard all day. :wave:

A friend of mine who works as a CM called me a while ago and said he had the "inside word" on the Tiki Room. I have absolutely no proof of this but thought it would be fun to post as a total rumor. He HAS tipped me on a few things that have ended up happening (i.e. the ghosts changing at the HM) but has been wrong multiple times as well. Here's what he said:

Disney had shelved the actual update for awhile due to budget, but that they have had plans ready to go for awhile. The rumor mill had it on again off again for the last year or so.

They want to be able to market a "New Show", but also to keep costs at a bare minimum. That means leveraging existing show productions currently in existence, but adding in enough to call it "New".

The idea is to use "classic elements" such as the opening tune, magic fountain, tiki driven finale, rain storm, etc, but to not return the entire show which was judged as poor on surveys in the years before it left. These are already show produced and would only require a minimum of refreshening

Some elements of the Tokyo show would be used due to it's popularity and the fact that the elements are already show produced. A few new show elements would be produced new. Most would be transplants or existing.

Here's the interesting piece. The show would have random elements that changed each time. So, like the new Star Tours, there would be a random middle element and ending element. The computer would select and "blend" the three portions for a seamless show. WDW could market that element as a "40th anniversary extra" or something like that.

They were NOT ready to fund the changes until the fire. But the incident forced their hand, and with the recovery of insurance the opportunity was too good to pass by. He also said that information seems to be changing all the time and he can't always separate rumors from facts, but that's what THEY hear is happening.

Last he said that the animatronics were being repaired, not replaced. Nothing new mechanically unless absolutely necessary. He said that there was pretty extensive damage to things like speakers, lighting, etc and that stuff was going to be replaced so they anticipated a much more up to date sound and lighting system, but repaired animatronics only. No Zazu or Iago. (One of them was damaged beyond repair and the other will be removed)

So two things before I finish. I have no "inside contacts" at WDW beyond my friend. He could be totally wrong or "munching" on random rumors. He is a pretty big DisneyGeek so his excitement could be getting away from him.

But wouldn't it be cool if he was right?

Then again, he also told me several years ago that replacing the entire track at Space Mountain was a "done deal".

Interesting point that I'm sure has been made before....but...we're all looking for the original show to come back ( I saw it at DL in 09 and thought it was much better than UNM), but as DisneyFanMan pointed out...there was a reason our show was updated to UNM in the first place...was it because the original show was getting poor ratings? And if it was, is it really going to be that great getting it back? I get that us diehards are going to love it, but to the average guest is it just going to be another Country Bear Jamboree that people see as staying past it's prime? This attraction needs to become a solid C ticket and pull somewhat of a line (atleast start filling up the theater) again.

I for one like the idea of going back to the original show in spirit, completely ridding the attraction of Zazu and Iago, and bringing in some new elements as well. And the idea of having a few different experiences always sounds great as well.

aladdin2007

Just passing along something fun...In this months Los Angeles magazine (available in most bookstores) there is a great feature article about Imagineer Rolly Crump and the Tiki Room. Disneylands of course, but still. Page 106.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
A show with randomly-changing elements would be consistent with the push for repeat riders. A show that changes would seem to greatly increase the change of repeat trips throught the attraction during a visit or on subsequent visits.

I like the idea, although the execution has a bit nervous, if they do attempt it.

As for "self-insurance" -- for those who are confused by this idea, it is a euphemism for not having insurance. My experience is certainly that large corporations with unique assets like theme-park attractions tend to forgo insurance (or maintain insurance with a very high deductible, so it covers complete catastrophes only), because the cost of insuring such unique and meticulously-constructed assets is often prohibitive.

The Duck

From what I can remember, the part of the original Tiki show that had the most walkouts was "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing". Even as a 13 year old in 1975 (first visit) I thought that the song was corny and apparently it didn't age well. If they replace that entire sequence with something new it could be the shot in the arm that the show needs. The rest of the show is fine.

Magicot

So they dont want to spend a dime, but what exactly is it they are doing then, dusting, fixing lights and speakers, doing away with three of the animatronics, (iago, zazu, goddess) restoring the fountain, a couple of the songs, yet integrating a couple new songs? So we will basically get a mish mash of this and that? A bit confusing,,,but I can see where this would be an exclusive tiki room show something not found anywhere else which is cool, and the fact that a song or two can change in the middle via computers sounds fun too. But it sounds like they are just throwing something together on a whim? Im not sure thats going to turn out so well.:shrug: paging Magicot, Martin, anyone else? :wave:
Original show. No mish-mash nonsense. Trust.

Silver Figment

I just think it would be nice to go back to the original for a while. I won't be there to see whatever it opens up as anymore for a while. My trip is from May 27 to June 4.

Figment82

Just passing along something fun...In this months Los Angeles magazine (available in most bookstores) there is a great feature article about Imagineer Rolly Crump and the Tiki Room. Disneylands of course, but still. Page 106.

With awesome artwork by Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily too! :)

Tiki's pre-show doors were open this weekend, and William and Morris are missing from their perches.

Rich1

I hope it isn't back to the same old stuff that it was years ago. The fanboys on here might enjoy it but the majority of the crowds will just use it as another nap area. TDO could do so much better. I'm not liking this whole WDW turning into a museum direction. Museums are not doing well this day and age.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I hope it isn't back to the same old stuff that it was years ago. The fanboys on here might enjoy it but the majority of the crowds will just use it as another nap area. TDO could do so much better. I'm not liking this whole WDW turning into a museum direction. Museums are not doing well this day and age.
Possibly expect a hybrid version like DLs; a 2011 version of a 1971 show...

puntagordabob

From what I can remember, the part of the original Tiki show that had the most walkouts was "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing". Even as a 13 year old in 1975 (first visit) I thought that the song was corny and apparently it didn't age well. If they replace that entire sequence with something new it could be the shot in the arm that the show needs. The rest of the show is fine.

No....the Offenbach number is the one responsible ....the unfortunate truth is the Lets all Sing like the Birdies Sing has the misfortune of following the Offenbach number.... This is the reason Disneyland cut the Offenbach tune out of the show....and it seems to be a very favorable change out there.....

would it be the Disneyland show...or different? If so, how?

TinkerBell9988

That seems like what is going to happen. Perhaps no Offenbach; the original show was rather lengthy, and I can see a version similar to DL's coming to our MK.

I just want to sing like the birdies sing... ;)

wolf359

I sincerely hope the rumor of variable show scenes comes to pass. Certainly the technology should be able to handle it, it just comes down to taking the time to program several extra scenes.

I really think all of the animatronic-based stage shows could benefit from a little "random" variation built into the show to increase repeat viewings. As the years pass the stage shows seem to be losing more and more viewers and I think the best way to save them is to bring in some random elements.

RSoxNo1

I sincerely hope the rumor of variable show scenes comes to pass. Certainly the technology should be able to handle it, it just comes down to taking the time to program several extra scenes.

I really think all of the animatronic-based stage shows could benefit from a little "random" variation built into the show to increase repeat viewings. As the years pass the stage shows seem to be losing more and more viewers and I think the best way to save them is to bring in some random elements.

I agree. Something like JIYIWF would be vastle improved if the scent scene had legimately random scents.

JustPlainBill

If they do bring this attraction back to it's former glory, It would make me very happy. Having brought my daughters to the Magic Kingdom for the first time and having them been subjected to that abomination was a disappointing experience! Is revolted too strong a word to use? My kids didn't like it either. After that first time, we never went back to that attraction again out of spite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom