Another Bus Crash 4/3

20009551sc

It was just reported that the 81 year old bus driver was cited for careless driving. Simple question: why is there an 81 year old bus driver?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It was just reported that the 81 year old bus driver was cited for careless driving. Simple question: why is there an 81 year old bus driver?

Because he is a licensed bus driver. His age should not be a factor. The same thing could have happened to a 25 year old bus driver. :rolleyes:

20009551sc

I would hope that the reaction time of a 25 year old would be better then that of the 81 year old driver. Age should not be a factor, but here in Florida I can't tell you how many close encounters I and my family have had with elderly drivers. Most recently was an senior who was in my lane of traffic because she pulled out of a parking lot the wrong way.Many senior are competent drivers and im sure that that goes for some of the bus drivers. I do believe that senior drivers should be tested more often. My grandmother at the age of 78 gave up the keys to her car because she felt that she could no longer drive safely. This was hard for her because this was a large peice of her independence. She just didn't want to be a danger to others. I was proud of her for that. People are forced to work longer in life due to the economy. You may see more of this as time goes on. It just may force tougher standards.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would hope that the reaction time of a 25 year old would be better then that of the 81 year old driver. Age should not be a factor, but here in Florida I can't tell you how many close encounters I and my family have had with elderly drivers. Most recently was an senior who was in my lane of traffic because she pulled out of a parking lot the wrong way.Many senior are competent drivers and im sure that that goes for some of the bus drivers. I do believe that senior drivers should be tested more often. My grandmother at the age of 78 gave up the keys to her car because she felt that she could no longer drive safely. This was hard for her because this was a large peice of her independence. She just didn't want to be a danger to others. I was proud of her for that. People are forced to work longer in life due to the economy. You may see more of this as time goes on. It just may force tougher standards.

At the risk of repeating myself AGAIN.

You have to take it on a person by person case.

Some 80 y.o.'s are just as capable as you are at most things.

Tom

Beta Return

There in Florida, you're 500% more likely to have an encounter with an elderly driver than a non-elderly driver - based on demographics alone :p

cdunbar

There in Florida, you're 500% more likely to have an encounter with an elderly driver than a non-elderly driver - based on demographics alone :p
Exactly because, like I said earlier in thread, at least half of the year individuals over the age of 65 make up a large portion of the population in Florida. And you also in the state of Florida, like I said earlier in the thread, cannot be removed from a job based soley on your age, because like both Dug, Edward, and myself said earlier in the thread it's discrimination. :rolleyes:

wdwmomof3

I hated to read this today, but we all have to keep in mind that accidents happen everyday all over the world. It just hits home, and seems so sad when something happens at Disney World.

MarkTwain

Update from the DisneyBlog:

A Disboards community member thought the name of the driver who was cited in yesterday’s accident was familiar. Turns out she reported him for reckless driving last summer. I’ll quote a small bit of her comment here,
We had a driver named Fred. He was driving so fast he ramped 3 curbs even after people told him to slow down. One time he ramped one a kids head nailed the window and he started crying and screaming. He took off at one point and shut the door when people were standing up trying to exit the bus and they almost all fell over like dominos. At this point Tim and another guys said “hey, DUDE, you have people trying to get off back here and you’re taking off and they are falling down, open your eyes!” To which he said “You want to drive the bus buddy!!!”
It gets worse from there. The rest is available at Disboards. The did report the driver to the front desk of their hotel. Obviously, one report isn’t enough to get a driver fired with a union grievance system in place, but we don’t know how many other guests have filed complaints. Disney should know and it will be interesting to hear that side of the story should this go to court.

redkoala245

I'm sorry to say this but after WDW having 58745785974859 bus crashes, I think they need to have monorails all around WDW or have another form of transportation.

miles1

No matter what side of this you come down on, it really undermines the guest experience in a tangible way. One of Disney's main theme park principles dating back to the days of Walt is Safety.

Interesting that you should bring up Walt. If the property had been developed according to his original vision, the motor vehicle/visitor interaction would have been minimal at best. Everyone would be moving by wedway or monorail, and motor vehicle traffic would be relagated to underground and and outlying areas. Maybe he was on to something, even way back then?

Just an oberservation.

Hrudey3032

I'm sorry to say this but after WDW having 58745785974859 bus crashes, I think they need to have monorails all around WDW or have another form of transportation.

Seriously??? Where do people come up with the idea that WDW has had tons of accidents?? If people want WDW to get rid of busses then fine rent a car and drive yourself since you think WDW is so dang unsafe.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Seriously??? Where do people come up with the idea that WDW has had tons of accidents?? If people want WDW to get rid of busses then fine rent a car and drive yourself since you think WDW is so dang unsafe.
:lookaroun

I think they were being facetious... :shrug:

Hrudey3032

I know Monty but it just grates on me when people make stuff up for there agendas. My point is if WDW didn't have busses then we would have more serious accidents on property as there are way to many impatient people that drive and others who don't know where they are at and will cut across 3 lanes of traffic to not miss their exit. While WDW should look into changing some things(it never hurts to look into better safer ways on anything) the bus system is safer than what alternatives there are.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I know Monty but it just grates on me when people make stuff up for there agendas. My point is if WDW didn't have busses then we would have more serious accidents on property as there are way to many impatient people that drive and others who don't know where they are at and will cut across 3 lanes of traffic to not miss their exit. While WDW should look into changing some things(it never hurts to look into better safer ways on anything) the bus system is safer than what alternatives there are.
Agreed!

HMF

Just to bring some optimism here. I really think Tom Staggs gets it and cares and that things might change for the better soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom