Another Bus Crash 4/3

peter11435

So you find Guests deaths and injuries & damage to their property acceptable?

.... Thats right, its the MEDIA's FAULT that Disney has accidents. Clearly if the MEDIA WASNT INVOLVED that Nine-year-old boy would still be alive. Obviously the MEDIA trains transportation and creates internal management policies at Disney.

I never said nor did I imply that guest deaths and injuries were acceptable. I also never said that the media was to blame for the accididents.

What I said was that these types of accidents have always happened, I’m not saying that makes it ok just that these recent incidents do not indicate that Disney transportation is suddenly unsafe. This has nothing to do with recent management changes, modified training procedures, or anything else that has been thrown around here. Accidents happen; they always have and the always will. Even on Disney property. The only thing a company like Disney can do is do everything in their power to minimize their occurrence.

As for the media; like I said these types of accidents happen and have happened routinely throughout Disney Worlds existence. You however were not consciously aware of their occurrence each and every time. With the expansion of the Internet and the medias decision to make a national story out of every fender bender you are now aware. I am not blaming the media for any of these accidents. I am however blaming the media for creating fear and paranoia out of nothing.

fireworkz

Everyone parks outside of the property. There will be ABSOLUTELY no other means of transportation allowed on property except what is offered by Disney.

Sarcasm yes, but what you said got me thinking. With the amount of traffic on property nowadays I'm surprised Disney doesn't have designated bus lanes for it's own vehicles. If they had them it might help prevent some accidents and improve keeping the buses on time.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Sarcasm yes, but what you said got me thinking. With the amount of traffic on property nowadays I'm surprised Disney doesn't have designated bus lanes for it's own vehicles. If they had them it might help prevent some accidents and improve keeping the buses on time.
The way people drive around WDW bus lanes wouldn't help. As has been mentioned, tourists [and locals in my experience] seem to turn off their brains when they're driving within WDW. They'd need whole bus transitways separate from the regular roads and building that level of infrastructure would be a very expensive way to avoid a few accidents.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
How about testing those 81 year old reflexes and not just telling him to retire at a certain age no matter what. Also, usually jobs that have mandatory retirement ages are jobs that no 81 year old could perform, like being an astronaut.
John Glenn flew on Discovery at age 77.

Tom

Beta Return

THAT....is not a bad idea!

dsnyfreak

im sorry about the tragedy but 81 years old!!!????????:hammer: noone that old should be driving anyway!!!
A Disney bus driver is charged with careless driving after two passenger vehicles were struck by the bus shortly before noon on Saturday.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, bus driver Fredrick Cassens, 81, struck the back of a 2009 Chevy sport utility vehicle after failing to see that the car was stopped at a stoplight. That impact caused the Chevy to hit the back of a 1999 GMC van, also a Disney vehicle.

The accident occurred at E East Buena Vista Drive and World Drive.

There are no reports of injuries, and WESH.com is reporting that 19 people were on board the Disney bus.

The crash is the third such event on the theme park's property the past two weeks, with the most recent involving a 9-year-old Pinellas County boy, who was killed Thursday after his bicycle drifted into the side of a Disney bus at Fort Wilderness.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-crash-disney-bus-chevy-20100403,0,4415113.story

If the age of the driver is correct, I think that something really might be wrong with Disney's standards. There is a good percentage of 80 year olds that have trouble driving their own passenger cars, not buses.

cdunbar

many professions have mandatory retirement ages, why shouldn't a bus driver carrying mass amounts of people?
It's not unreasonable to believe that an 81 year old persons reflexes haven't diminished at least somewhat.
I don't disagree with your statement but I mean you have to understand in Florida, where a great majority of the population for a good half of the year is over the age of 65, the laws benefit the employee and not the employer. I'll give you an excellent example, I know of an individual in a particular branch of my county government that should no longer be employed by them because they just can't do the job and anymore just doesn't even try, so the individual was released from their position. Said individual took themself down to the EOFE (Equal Opportunity for Employment) office and low and behold EOFE told that individual that they were terminated illegally. How were they terminated illegally you ask? Well the individual was over the recommended retirement age of 65 and had a physical handicap. Turns out because the individuals handicap benefits were not enough for them to continue the lifestyle which they were acustom to, the firing was found to be illegal and the individual was re-instated. So you see this is why Disney is in the predicament it's in. Florida laws do not benefit the employeer but the employeed.

Overall responsibility for the safety of the bus system falls on the shoulders of Jim Vendur, who took over transportation operations from Kevin Lansberry last September in addition to his existing oversight of transportation maintenance, utilities and telecommunications. http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=657

(also.. what happened to the other thread? did it get moved to another part of the forum :confused: )

Probably got shut down for being either too personal or too political.....
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!

Similar to the direction this thread is heading......
And will be closed before this evening, if it keeps up this pace...:rolleyes:

That is actually a very good idea, I actually never understood why they didn't do that, it would prevent accidents like yesterday's from occuring.

DisneyLeo18

The way people drive around WDW bus lanes wouldn't help. As has been mentioned, tourists [and locals in my experience] seem to turn off their brains when they're driving within WDW. They'd need whole bus transitways separate from the regular roads and building that level of infrastructure would be a very expensive way to avoid a few accidents.

I'm not quite sure how this would work. Even if you had bus lane (far left for arguements sake) how would it be designed if the bus needs to make a right? Maybe I'm just not familiar with this because I have never seen it, but there would still be buses changing lanes, turning, speeding up/slowing down or even running lights.

I have rented a car in WDW my last two trips and while I think I'm a great driver here in NY, I am a little lost when down there. I don't know the area so its tough, but I don't think I endanger anyone.. However a lot of people do.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't disagree with your statement but I mean you have to understand in Florida, where a great majority of the population for a good half of the year is over the age of 65, the laws benefit the employee and not the employer. I'll give you an excellent example, I know of an individual in a particular branch of my county government that should no longer be employed by them because they just can't do the job and anymore just doesn't even try, so the individual was released from their position. Said individual took themself down to the EOFE (Equal Opportunity for Employment) office and low and behold EOFE told that individual that they were terminated illegally. How were they terminated illegally you ask? Well the individual was over the recommended retirement age of 65 and had a physical handicap. Turns out because the individuals handicap benefits were not enough for them to continue the lifestyle which they were acustom to, the firing was found to be illegal and the individual was re-instated. So you see this is why Disney is in the predicament it's in. Florida laws do not benefit the employeer but the employeed.

The great thing about Indiana is that it's an "employment-at-will" state. You can be fired for any reason, as long as it's a reason that masks discrimination. (i.e. we had to fire a woman once - from our construction company. Not because she was a woman, but because she spent all day flirting with guys and not getting any work done. She had no claim against us!)

However, when HIRING someone, you don't get the luxury of that loophole, anywhere. :(

cdunbar

The great thing about Indiana is that it's an "employment-at-will" state. You can be fired for any reason, as long as it's a reason that masks discrimination. (i.e. we had to fire a woman once - from our construction company. Not because she was a woman, but because she spent all day flirting with guys and not getting any work done. She had no claim against us!)

However, when HIRING someone, you don't get the luxury of that loophole, anywhere. :(
No, no you don't.

kimmychad

How about testing those 81 year old reflexes and not just telling him to retire at a certain age no matter what. Also, usually jobs that have mandatory retirement ages are jobs that no 81 year old could perform, like being an astronaut.

actually, the military, air traffic controllers, and airline pilots all have mandatory retirement ages. In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Paul VI introduced a mandatory retirement age of 70 for priests and 75 for bishops and archbishops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom