Another Bus Crash 4/3

lazyboy97o

Interesting that you should bring up Walt. If the property had been developed according to his original vision, the motor vehicle/visitor interaction would have been minimal at best. Everyone would be moving by wedway or monorail, and motor vehicle traffic would be relagated to underground and and outlying areas. Maybe he was on to something, even way back then?

Just an oberservation.
Walt was not alone. A lot of planners, architects, etc. have talked about this. Even a lot of future city designs bear a striking resemblance to EPCOT.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I'm sorry to say this but after WDW having 58745785974859 bus crashes, I think they need to have monorails all around WDW or have another form of transportation.
Haven't you seen The Simpsons? Monorails all over property would be anarchy! :eek:

mono-rail.jpg

TimNRA757

Yawn...
So I'm to believe the laws of probability and chance don't happen at Disney... You really only had 2 accidents in the last 2 weeks. I can't tell you have many times I've seen WDW buses get hit by careless guests. I was one one that did get rear ended. You'll never hear me scream bloody murder about it, I was more upset about being late for an ADR but everything worked out. In the end it all comes down to individual professionalism and skill, and of course because it's Disney guest service.
Just because you signed someone off last week when they were performing absolutely spot on doesn't mean I can promise they'll do the same today. Same with aviation. God forbid one of my students that got a certificate I signed them off for or did a proficiency review for happened to crash or something, I'm prepared to go to court or the NTSB and show them I did absolutely everything before signing that line. You just can't have a fool proof system.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
yeah I know there is, especially with the current situation of the church. I didn't even quote the UK, they have a law that allows for terminating or just not hiring anyone over the age of 65 without any reason at all.

Compulsory retirement is is being challenged, but thats more to do with falling birth rates and ageing population with a massive pension deficit. Driving is far tighter controlled, to keep my licence for truck driving which I got in the military I would have had to go through a medical, which I have to pay for and do some compulsory retraining, PSV (passenger service vehicles) is even tighter controlled, but it still doesnt stop accidents. My father in law drove buses for his last few working years, he must have had an accident every few months. Some of it was down to statistical likelihood based on time and miles driven, others were down to the fact hes a clummsy old git.

The Mom

Premium Member
I know I may be asking the impossible, but could we please stay on topic, and discuss the issue politely?

Dwarful

We just returned from a week long stay at WDW 03-27 to 04-03. We used the buses every day. We had no direct issues, but we sure noticed a lot of things.

The day after the little boy died CM's in bright yellow safety vests were out in force making sure buses were arriving, boarding and departing safely.

The one thing we noticed was human error. On at least four different bus rides the driver honked the horn at least once at cars pulling out in front of the bus. We saw people run through stop signs, fly through red lights and change lanes w/o signals at hte last minute. People who aren't familiar with the area make sudden lane changes, buses need more stop room than cars, mini van or pick up trucks, its an accident waiting to happen. It would be nice if they had bus only lanes, this would eliminate car/bus accidents. I don't know how long the shift was where the 81 yr old man had the accident. Was the driver tired and not following all safety rules? Was the car he hit always in that lane, or had it suddenly cut in front of him, leaving him without enough stop room? For me, there are too many unknowns to place blame.

fosse76

We just returned from a week long stay at WDW 03-27 to 04-03. We used the buses every day. We had no direct issues, but we sure noticed a lot of things.

The one thing we noticed was human error. On at least four different bus rides the driver honked the horn at least once at cars pulling out in front of the bus. We saw people run through stop signs, fly through red lights and change lanes w/o signals at hte last minute. People who aren't familiar with the area make sudden lane changes, buses need more stop room than cars, mini van or pick up trucks, its an accident waiting to happen. It would be nice if they had bus only lanes, this would eliminate car/bus accidents. I don't know how long the shift was where the 81 yr old man had the accident. Was the driver tired and not following all safety rules? Was the car he hit always in that lane, or had it suddenly cut in front of him, leaving him without enough stop room? For me, there are too many unknowns to place blame.

I think the issue for Disney isn't safety and training, but ENFORCEMENT and OVERSIGHT, which seems to be lacking. Perhaps if they better monitored their bus drivers, these incidents can be prevented (since two of the last three accidents were the fault of the bus driver). They also need better enforcement on the roads for traffic violations committed by guests.

hokielutz

I think the issue for Disney isn't safety and training, but ENFORCEMENT and OVERSIGHT, which seems to be lacking. Perhaps if they better monitored their bus drivers, these incidents can be prevented (since two of the last three accidents were the fault of the bus driver). They also need better enforcement on the roads for traffic violations committed by guests.

But at the same time, I would rather there not be a larger increase in presence of security/police on property than there already is.

Monorail_Orange

I'm in Dug's camp on this one. It should be a case-by-case analysis based on the individual, regardless of age. If the driver can handle the vehicle competently (whatever vehicle, be it a steam train or a hovercraft), then age is no reason to remove them from the driver's seat.

Mistakes happen. Mistakes cause accidents - and that's what this was, clearly. Does it suck? For Disney, you betcha.

I also think these 3 bus accidents are coincidental.

And I will say this again too: These accidents show the need for a long-term plan to replace the bus system. For those who have already voiced the bus system is perfectly fine, no need to overhaul - I am not disagreeing with you in the short-to-medium-term (i.e. 5-10 years). But, for those of you who do not pre-date the opening of Caribbean Beach and TPFKaMGM, the bus system was supposed to be....(drumroll)...TEMPORARY!

I know it can't be done in a day, or for several years. But a replacement transportation system had been long overdue for WDW. It's time to develop a plan for replacing the buses (and no, not new buses), and begin work on the new system, whatever it may be.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I'm in Dug's camp on this one. It should be a case-by-case analysis based on the individual, regardless of age. If the driver can handle the vehicle competently (whatever vehicle, be it a steam train or a hovercraft), then age is no reason to remove them from the driver's seat.

Mistakes happen. Mistakes cause accidents - and that's what this was, clearly. Does it suck? For Disney, you betcha.

I also think these 3 bus accidents are coincidental.

And I will say this again too: These accidents show the need for a long-term plan to replace the bus system. For those who have already voiced the bus system is perfectly fine, no need to overhaul - I am not disagreeing with you in the short-to-medium-term (i.e. 5-10 years). But, for those of you who do not pre-date the opening of Caribbean Beach and TPFKaMGM, the bus system was supposed to be....(drumroll)...TEMPORARY!

I know it can't be done in a day, or for several years. But a replacement transportation system had been long overdue for WDW. It's time to develop a plan for replacing the buses (and no, not new buses), and begin work on the new system, whatever it may be.
YouBetcha.jpg

Sorry... Every single time I see/hear that, I immediately think of her. :lol:

fosse76

But at the same time, I would rather there not be a larger increase in presence of security/police on property than there already is.

Most of what I notice is at the park gates, where it really isn't needed and doesn't really do anything t keep guests safe. However, if the police can hide on a regular interstate, then they should be able to hide on Disney property.

As for monitoring buses, I'm sure someone can/has develop(ed) software that record the buses speed at any time, or perhap hidden cameras placed/angled on the buses that can see out the driver's window that can be reviewed for suspect drivers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom