News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

HmmmmmMMMmm

It's going to be a carousel. And it'll have three hour lines for two years. Because that's how the Orlando Disney community operates... Disneyland locals at least know how to vote with their money when Disneyland adds new attractions that they don't like.... Disney World locals have to keep up appearances on Instagram.

James J

In the Parks
No
The popularity of a remake doesn’t even have to be tied to nostalgia. I’ve never seen the original Aladdin (although hubby says we still have a VHS copy and the kids watched it a thousand times), and yet I saw the live action version at the theatres six times this summer.

It wasn’t nostalgia pulling me back into the theatres, it was a visually stunning movie, likeable characters, great acting, catchy tunes, and mostly Will Smith’s portrayal of Genie.

I’ve since seen dozens of side by side comparisons of Robin Williams’ Genie to Will Smith’s Genie on YT, and I’ll say it again ... Robin who?

Please, please watch the original. It's hard to make a good comparison from out of context clips in a Youtube video. I love Will Smith and have done ever since The Fresh Prince, but as much as I like his genie portrayal it just doesn't hit the same notes for me.

brihow

Disneyland locals at least know how to vote with their money when Disneyland adds new attractions that they don't like.... Disney World locals have to keep up appearances on Instagram.

Isn't the newest ride at Disneyland that repurposed spinner from Bug's Land that they just threw into Pixar Pier?

Spash007

It's going to be a carousel. And it'll have three hour lines for two years. Because that's how the Orlando Disney community operates... Disneyland locals at least know how to vote with their money when Disneyland adds new attractions that they don't like.... Disney World locals have to keep up appearances on Instagram.

I think that over simplifies it a bit. WDW is also more tourist heavy, and people coming from out of town will want to go on something new they haven't done before.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
:rolleyes:

Wonder why your introduction to this board hasn't gone as you would have liked (Tom)....

FigmentFan82

I think that over simplifies it a bit. WDW is also more tourist heavy, and people coming from out of town will want to go on something new they haven't done before.
Yeah I think he's being a little blunt in the assesment, but not entirely off base. Same reason why DHS SW:GE will be viewed as a hit, because people have already booked their trips to WDW years out. The people are coming, regardless of what's there.

Steph15251

I am a local and I can say I am far from what you say.I h
I live in Florida and I am far from what you say.

Steph15251

Yeah I think he's being a little blunt in the assesment, but not entirely off base. Same reason why DHS SW:GE will be viewed as a hit, because people have already booked their trips to WDW years out. The people are coming, regardless of what's there.
I really do not think SW,GE is bad I liked MF but it really needs ROtR to be open.

FigmentFan82

I really do not think SW,GE is bad I liked MF but it really needs ROtR to be open.
I'm booked for Dec when all is open at SW:GE. From what I've seen I agree it's not bad, but clearly the DL local crowd decided to wait out the initial rush. Even if the WDW locals hold back, DHS will still be flooded by the ongoing stream of visitors it always gets

Sir_Cliff

MPR was decent enough. Ms. Blunt was quite good. Not a fan of Lin Miranda... whatever his name is, though. I hope whatever this ride eventually is, it encompasses a healthy dose of the original movie while throwing in a few nods to the sequel.
I think this would honestly be a good way to go: a mix of both, leaning far more heavily on the classic songs from the original.

Finally just saw MPR on a long flight and enjoyed it. Seems strange to me that Disney traditionalists wouldn't like it, as this film is about as close in spirit as you are going to get to a classic Disney musical from back in Walt's time. Even in terms of how it was all paced, and in this regard I think they were fairly brave in making a film with the same general rhythm as the original (and film musicals from that time). Only things that jarred a little for me were that I think the British slang seemed a little overdone/forced at times, and I did think the original Mary was a far more convincing and consistent character. Still, I think it's a really nice sequel that could easily be combined with the original in any attraction.

nickys

Premium Member
so one poster on another site attached this picture from the movie of the changes. That person thought this could be a mad hatter tea party in UK, wonder if this is true, and we might be getting more add to UK than we thought?

On the poster for the U.K., there was Mary Poppins, the white rabbit from Alice and a Bagpiper. Plus the tea party above, which someone said was the mad hatter tea party that Shanghai has (I thought it could equally well have been Pooh and friend).

So that’s 4 possible additions!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
On the poster for the U.K., there was Mary Poppins, the white rabbit from Alice and a Bagpiper. Plus the tea party above, which someone said was the mad hatter tea party that Shanghai has (I thought it could equally well have been Pooh and friend).

Poppins, the white rabbit and Alice all currently do M&Gs at the pavilion...so maybe don't read too much into that.

FigmentJedi

so one poster on another site attached this picture from the movie of the changes. That person thought this could be a mad hatter tea party in UK, wonder if this is true, and we might be getting more add to UK than we thought?

Could be a revival of the Enchanted Forest concept they had in the 90s. Would also explain why Mary Poppins would only just get the Carousel too.
tumblr_o69cd1wzzn1t0xyebo3_1280.jpg

stuart

Could be a revival of the Enchanted Forest concept they had in the 90s. Would also explain why Mary Poppins would only just get the Carousel too.
tumblr_o69cd1wzzn1t0xyebo3_1280.jpg

Some enchanted forest with the wisps from Brave being projected and associated sound effects would be smart. Admittedly would only really work at night, or enough tree cover to provide some dark shade, but it would be neat to see.

justintheharris

So let's see, Iger builds two massive underwhelming Star Wars lands and is planning a Star Wars hotel with a hefty price tag, making it inaccessible to most guests...

...while Mary Poppins, Walt's crown jewel film, which was a massive worldwide hit, was nominated for 13 Oscars - the most for ANY Disney film, and which won 5...gets a carousel.

A dinky carousel. With likely no theming around it. No Cherry Tree Lane. No Admiral Boom. Just...a carousel.

Well, I guess that's pretty good for Iger, who hates Disney, thinks of Walt as "that old dead guy" and his films as "that old junk"...

...but he's still a pig. Thank god he's getting tons of bad press right now. Not entirely for ALL the right reasons, but he's getting slammed, and that's so gratifying to see.

I doubt that anything D23 announces will interest me, from the speculation I've read. Epcot gets some pretty new landscaping, whee! And more festival stuff and bars and lots of other things that aren't attractions. Spaceship Earth will probably get turned into a Death Star (why not?). MAYBE Figment will come back (not hoping much for Dreamfinder, who TDO hates for some reason). We'll see. Hope to be surprised. But I doubt it.
To be fair, it's a little hard to build an entire land around Mary Poppins given that it partially takes place in the real world and if built, would look rather mundane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom