American Pavilion in Epcot is a Joke

LowesChevy

A regular continental restaurant offering a variety of flavors from each region of our country would be great. There is always a need for more TS restaurants, especially with the dining plan. I love elaborate theming, but sometimes you just want a casual place to eat. I do not always want to stand in a line to get my food-I did that for 13 years in school :ROFLOL:.

Sherrybaby

The American Adventure is history as told to 3rd graders so they are not terrified by the horrific slavery stories and the killing of the various ethnic people coming over by boat to NY and being killed and/or starved. It's a Disney-fied version of our history, but you are at Disney so what do you expect??? We are not going to get the true American story at Disney. Pick up a history book to learn about how we killed all the Indians and hung the "witches" and mistreated women (and still do). I'm sure people from other countries also realize that we are putting on a good false "show" here about "our" history. It's like someone writing a biography and omitting the negativity that happened in their life.

The fast food is ok--that's what we do here--eat fast food and that's why so many of us are obese and unhealthy. The fast food is at least honest--keep that.

I only browsed the store once and found it small and boring so I can't comment much on it.

The Voices of Liberty are very talented. I also say keep that because it shows the true mentality of Americans as well--push people as far and as hard as you can until you can get a front row viewing.

Oh and another thing about American Adventure--I have been there a few times to take visitors who just "had" to see it and the "move all the way to the end of the row direction is just crazy. If everyone did that then no one would have a good view because the theatre has never been even half full all the times I have been there. When there are tons of seats left and people want to get ticked because everyone is in the middle when they are coming in 5 mins late then that's just too bad--show up on time.

How's that for American realism??

Sherry

buckybeaver

Merchandise worth buying

They should sell shirts with the current World Series Champions, next month's Super Bowl Champions, and the next NBA Champions.

SpectroMan

I am hoping this is just a sarcastic post, but knowing people today, I am going to argue against it: What country in World Showcase is giving the full story?

Should France speak of its bloody Revolution? Should Germany emphasize the Pre-World War II era? Should China praise the glory of its over-abundant population where millions of abortions happen a year?

The point of all these countries is to give a glimpse at the best in their country, not give the full history of it. If you want that, go to the country itself.

I think the American Adventure is the only pavilion that discusses some problems: while not mentioned slavery is part of the Civil War, and Chief Joseph's speech captures the essence of those horrible actions of America.

Now on to an arguement about why the American Adventure is the way it is.

All of the countries in World Showcase cater to the American tourist. Norway was built for Americans to go to the actual country. France has a specific "American" wine tasting. I could give instances of this in each country.

Therefore, the American Adventure does the same thing. The show is an uplifting, patriotic extravaganza that assumes that most audience members already know American history. These audience members want to feel good about their country, and for the non-Americans in the audience, we want to show them that we are the best. (That's why the American pavilion is the tallest and biggest in World Showcase).

The Quick Service restaurant also caters to Americans. Where else in World Showcase can you get a hamburger or chicken tenders? There is need for a less adventurous quick service restaurant in the 1.3 miles that encompases World Showcase.

Now, we can finally talk about the location and style of the architecture at the American Adventure. The original intent of the Imagineers was to place the American Adventure between Future World and World Showcase (look how Canada and Mexico set up this design). The building would have beend designed much like the modern buildings of Future World. This created, again, the "America is best" idea with the American pavilion bridging the future to the past with technology in one direction and the old countries in the other.

When they finally decided to create the American Adventure show, they realized that the show really couldn't take place in such a modern building. They changed the style of architecture, and to make it fit in, they moved across the lagoon, making it the host pavilion and crown jewel of World Showcase.

The American Adventure is created to inspire Americans about their nation, but also to give a reprieve from the exotic natures of the other nations in World Showcase.

Captain Sparrow

Clarification

Amen, Spectroman.

And phichi17, I was referring to Sherry's "history lesson," not your post. Sorry for any confusion. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Disney05

I have to agree about the David Beckham jersey. That is really odd. Maybe the England pavilion didn't want it anymore.

kcw

and if they want fast food, plop down an In-N-Out. Nothing more American than that.

oh I would love nothing more than to have an in-n-out over in Florida- it was the first place I went when I moved back home! (not kidding- straight from the airport!!) Most of those east coasters don't know what they're missing out on- I even had someone say, "what's in-n-out ? :brick:

While everybody has the burger and the hot dog, most parts of the US have their own brand of fast food. Chicago (where I live now) has the Italian Beef and the Chicago hot dog with a million things on it (some of which I'm pretty sure aren't actually food). Detroit (where I grew up) has the Coney Island and sliders. Cincinnati has it's special kind of chili. Philly has the cheesesteak. Hawaii has the plate lunch. New York has overflowing corned beef sandwiches and rude service (just a joke!).

I guess it shows how diverse the food across our country really is- I don't even know what half of those things are!

- Change the costumes to something more appealing.

to what? jeans sagging with boxers hanging out? backwards baseball hats and big gold chains? skimpy tops and mini skirts? I say keep the costumes how they are. Something tells me that current American fashion wouldn't pass Disney Look.

haveyoumetmark

The American Adventure is history as told to 3rd graders so they are not terrified by the horrific slavery stories and the killing of the various ethnic people coming over by boat to NY and being killed and/or starved. It's a Disney-fied version of our history, but you are at Disney so what do you expect??? We are not going to get the true American story at Disney. Pick up a history book to learn about how we killed all the Indians and hung the "witches" and mistreated women (and still do). I'm sure people from other countries also realize that we are putting on a good false "show" here about "our" history. It's like someone writing a biography and omitting the negativity that happened in their life.

The fast food is ok--that's what we do here--eat fast food and that's why so many of us are obese and unhealthy. The fast food is at least honest--keep that.

I only browsed the store once and found it small and boring so I can't comment much on it.

The Voices of Liberty are very talented. I also say keep that because it shows the true mentality of Americans as well--push people as far and as hard as you can until you can get a front row viewing.

Oh and another thing about American Adventure--I have been there a few times to take visitors who just "had" to see it and the "move all the way to the end of the row direction is just crazy. If everyone did that then no one would have a good view because the theatre has never been even half full all the times I have been there. When there are tons of seats left and people want to get ticked because everyone is in the middle when they are coming in 5 mins late then that's just too bad--show up on time.

Sherry

I suppose they should build a knock-off store with DVD's and purses in China. How about street vendors, I hope we get some of those to add to the streetmosphere... :rolleyes:

Your post is absurd.

Anyway, the only thing missing from the American Adventure pavilion is a Chinese take-out place. :lol:

hpyhnt 1000

The show is an uplifting, patriotic extravaganza that assumes that most audience members already know American history.

Unfourtunately, I'm not sure that is an assumption you can make these days...:lookaroun
Otherwise, well put SpectroMan.:sohappy:

For me, the American Pavilion, while simple from the outside, represents what people think of when they think of American architecture. Every country has skyscrapers and other national monuments that are equally impressive. Colonial = America for most people, and it was the dominant architecture for early America. Remember, our country is only 231 years old. As far as the world is concerned, that is a very short existence, especially when you look at places like France, Morocco, and China, whch existed in some form long before we did. There is a lot more to showcase for these countries in terms of history and culture than the U.S. Could there be more to see with the AA? Yes, but what is there represents America, and sure looks impressive from across World Showcase Lagoon.

As far as the choice of food goes in the American Pavilion, yes, it is lacking. All the same, fast food is distinctly American. Ask anyone from another country what they think of when you ask them about American cuisine. Bet they'll say fast food like hot dogs and hamburgers. Could the AA do more to expand people's view of our country? Sure. But is it an altogether untrue representation of America? No.

Overall, when you look at every other pavilion in World Showcase, I would say The American Adventure is no worst than any other. At least it has a show to display its history and culture. I feel that the weakest pavilions are those with no attraction other than shopping and dining. With those countries, you see the cuisine, but not necessarily the culture of the people who live there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just to add to Spectromans description, the orignal pavilion was to gave been a giant, circular shaped building between Motion (Test Track for the kids) and Imagination. It was to have been on legs, with guests walking under it for Showcase, or having to ascend up into the show building. This was deemed too arrogant and rude for the rest of the world to have to walk beneath or climb upto the US, so it moved to its current location, and was redesigned to match the Showcase theme - and placed central to act as the anchoring host nation. Quite a lot of planning.

To me, a UK citizen, the AA building gives me what I want - my picture perfect image of an American icon. Skyscrapers? We have them too. Olde worlde Colonial mansions, Capitol buildings and White Houses? Strictly the US. I bet a lot of you guys think England as 200 year old pubs, chip shops, castles and stone buildings with town squares? Yep, we have tonnes of them.

As for food, to a Brit American cuisine is Hamburgers or hot dogs. Not strictly accurate I know, but it`s what we think and would expect to find. Just be thankful there isn`t a golden arch over the building!

sknydave

The Beckham jerseys make total sense when you consider the huge amount of UK guests that pass through those turnstiles

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom