American Idol details plus concept art

Disney MDACK

Disney can find something better to use their money with. The best part of AI is the early stages of the show where the worst singers come out to play. I can see this going the same route as WWTBAM.

Dingle66

While the idea is unoriginal, it will likely be a hit just like the show which seems to be gaining viewers after 7 seasons, not losing them. American Idol is THE most watched reality show for several reasons. It allows average Joe's the chance of a lifetime, it provides drama (which people love) and it allows everyone to be a critic and have an opinion. It's subjectivity allows for many healthy discussions, and even arguments! Again, not sure how it connects with Disney but if anyone can make it work Disney can.

This is the worst idea Disney has had in a long time.

Once this thing goes up im never stepping foot in MGM or whatever the hell its called now again.

CrashNet

I cannot stand American Idol. It's a cop-out and for the most part only waters down an already weakening music industry. Their park though, and I'm guessing it will be hugely successful.

I really don't understand why everyone is complaining so much. Yes, American Idol is unoriginal, but it is extremely popular and will be well-received by guests and those who wish to try and win the opportunity to be guaranteed an audition on the real show. I personally do not care for the attraction, but I will probably go once just to check it out and that would be fine with me. But outside the show, there is nothing else like this or an opportunity like this. Most of you are also complaining that the show only has maybe 3-5 years left. So what! At the very least the ABC theater will be completed renovated and will be a great venue/show facility. So when Idol has run its course, they will re-theme the exterior to match the new show, it's not that difficult. I am just very happy to see a new show that will be very popular with guests for a few years in a beautiful venue rather than dead space with a rotting rarely-used theater IMHO. And here's hoping that the building in the concept art is as big as it looks and will require using the Sounds Dangerous theater as well. (THANK GOD IF THAT SHOW GOES). Maybe now that the Studios has a new permanent show they can finally add some new rides!!! I mean Playhouse Disney, American Idol, LMA, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones. Time for more rides!

There have been so many comments both negative and positive. I think it is best summed up this way. The people on these boards will not enjoy this show. The purist will not enjoy this show. But for two years at least this thing will be huge. During Spring break, Summer, Pop Warner, I can see a line all the way out to the gates. Now the family that goes to Sea World, Universal, the beach,MK, will make a day to go to the studios and have Hillary, Britney, Kaylee, Kylee, Kaylin, or Kyla get her shot at American Idol. If you live in North Carolina, North Dakota, Michigan, and have not got your chance to go try out for American Idol, this is your chance. Can't you see the show fast passes gone by 9:15. Seriously! I am not a fan of the show, the judges, the "musicians" who come off of the show, but this will pack em in grooves. Then some of the stuff we have wanted, can see some light. How many families will try to decide between Harry Potter or American Idol? Not the best idea, not the most original, but a definite spike in attendance for DHS. BTW, you know for season 8, there will be a tryout at DHS. Can you even imagine the logistics? That is a MK, EC, or AK day for sure.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Wow, you guys all seem to really be hateful towards an idea that it doesn't even sound like you read the information about. If you read the anouncement linked from the main page, it clearly says that there are preliminary auditions with a show producer, not in front of a theatre full of park guests. It also states that the people chosen from the auditions will be given some time to work with a vocal coach prior to their performance.

Do you really think Disney would allow a child to stand in front of hundreds of people and sing without screening them first?? Get real! :brick: What makes you think they have not thought of all of these issues and more? Are we really that much smarter that the people Disney pays to create and execute these ideas? You may think so, but look where they are, and now look where you are.

Sorry if this sounds harsh-I'm just kinda irritated by the negativity that seems to be stemming from a lack of people taking time to read the information that Disney put out about the attraction. No, I don't like the idea. I personally think it is rather rediculous. But there are probably 100k people that love the idea for every one of us that hates it.

I think at this point I am agreeing with the concept of "it's better than an empty building" and "it takes people out of line for other attractions." :D

Heck, I may even go audition, just for the heck of it. It's Disney!! Loosen up! :hammer:

(I really do love y'all and your opinions though! Keep 'em coming!):wave:
Well said...
I think a lot of people are missing the boat on this one. Why do some people think it will be just like the actual American Idol? It will be Disneyfied in some way I'm sure. You are going to be at DISNEY WORLD not Hollywood California...so there will not be the same pressure on whoever tries out. It is make believe...and for some people who would never try out for the REAL AI would maybe get up enough guts to try out for this and actually be on the stage that looks exactly like the one they see on tv. It might fulfill a dream for some people..
I really don't think people are going to be crying and yelling because someone may say they aren't that great. They know they are on vacation and it is just a game. At the end of the day the contestants know they will not be winning a recording contract or a ticket to Hollywood. Aren't a lot of the visitors to WDW ones that maybe only visit once every 5 years or so? It may not be a repeat attraction for the locals but great for people that visit every so often.
Also this is a relatively easy addition to DHS. There is no ride to build. All they have to do is make the inside look like the theatre that AI is filmed in and change the outside a little. So what if it doesn't last for 10 years. It is going to be so much nicer than seeing the outdated ABC theatre. :shrug:

jt04

YAWN :snore: One huge step backwards for Disney. It will be dead in a few years after people realize thats 30 mins they will never get back.

I am so glad Steve saves these threads. It will be fun to see how the critics react if this is a hit. (and I personally think it will be):D

netenyahoo

I'm sure it will be a hit at least for a couple years. I may go see it once, but not again as it seems like a time consuming show that really isn't worth my time.

I also ditto all the comments about what a shame Disney is using a Fox show when they have so many of their own on ABC. I'm sure the execs at ABC aren't happy about this.

CJR

I'm just glad a rather popular show (at least, I think it will be) is going in there. That means more time for me to enjoy attractions I actually care about. While tons of people are sitting in the theater watching a complete stranger sing, I'll be on The Great Movie Ride or Star Tours taking advantage of the low lines.

Thanks Disney, you're doing us fans a real favor! :sohappy:

jt04

I'm sure it will be a hit at least for a couple years. I may go see it once, but not again as it seems like a time consuming show that really isn't worth my time.

I also ditto all the comments about what a shame Disney is using a Fox show when they have so many of their own on ABC. I'm sure the execs at ABC aren't happy about this.

Stay tuned :lookaroun

Delly

I am going to go against popular opinion here and say I can't wait to visit this attraction. I absoultly love AI and no I am not a geek ar teenage girl!!!!!
Compared to the show we have here in Engalnd- The X Factor- AI is far superior and the talent so much better- so for someone from England who can only get the the world once every 2 years a visit to an attraction like this is a must, especially as I would have to go to California for the real thing- this is the next best thing.
OK I Understand that you would probably have to be a fan of the show to really enjoy but I just don't think it's as bad an idea as everyone thinks.
I mean it was only last year that I bought an AI t-shirt from Epcot!!!!!!!!!

EpcotServo

I am so glad Steve saves these threads. It will be fun to see how the critics react if this is a hit. (and I personally think it will be):D

oh no, gotta' stop this here. Note how nobody is saying that this show will be a flop when it opens. The problems of this show go beyond that, into the realm of how this IDEA and this BRAND are NOT good for Disney. Lucasfilms, Muppets, all of those go well with the fantasy and themes of Disney. But American Idol? What's next? "Survivor-Live!" at Animal Kingdom? "Deal or no Deal? The ride! at Epcot? "The Biggest Loser" Castle stage show?

It may be popular, but it just ain't right. Tell me in all honesty that these things go together...

American Idol......Walt Disney.
:hammer:

I don't think so...

dizpins14

oh no, gotta' stop this here. Note how nobody is saying that this show will be a flop when it opens. The problems of this show go beyond that, into the realm of how this IDEA and this BRAND are NOT good for Disney. Lucasfilms, Muppets, all of those go well with the fantasy and themes of Disney.

It may be popular, but it just ain't right. Tell me in all honesty that these things go together...

American Idol......Walt Disney.
:hammer:

I don't think so...

That sums it up the best. It's not an issue of whether or not it will be popular or not; I hope it is not popular so we do not see unimaginative attractions populate Disney World. To some extent I would say Toy Story Mania is not imaginative for Disney Hollywood Studios...it does not fit the theme of Hollywood.

EpcotServo

The real question is: WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST BRING BACK SUPERSTAR TELEVISION!?!?!?!

They could of put lost and all the ABC junk I hate in it, and it still would be better than Idol because atleast it would have been SuperStar TV!

And WHO IS MERITTT STONNEEEEE?!?!?!?!?

:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom