American Idol details plus concept art

SirNim

This is the most insane development in WDW since a hulking semicircle of a DVC Resort/Hotel was approved for placement in the Contemporary Resort complex. :lookaroun

brkgnews

Face it, the most likely people to take part in the show are teenage girls and drunks.

Being that none of them are in a short commodity, you're looking at a successful attraction.

I believe many will only be voters, but few will actually play. Which may be a good a thing.
Maybe it'll get a few screamers and pukers out of the line for RnRC and ToT for a while at least. :lookaroun

Pirate665

Oh it's going to be VERY popular when it opens. The only problem is that it's not going to be popular for very long...my group of hard working ivy-league professors in the Servotronic Science & Technology Update Division have dubbed this..."The Millionaire Effect."

:lol:

Okay, that's good. And so true...

>Steve

P.S.: I'm hoping it tanks in the first year of operation.

dandaman

Dear American Idol,

Please stop shoving yourself down the throats of all global inhabitants and possibly Space Station crew. Global domination should be left to warring politicians, not reality television.

Thank you.

Concerned/Riled Advocacy Partners

askmike1

I just have a few comments on this...
  • To say that Idol is going away anytime soon (ie, anytime in the next 3 years or so) is just wrong. Idol is still averaging roughly 30 million viewers, easily making it the biggest thing on TV. (The Oscars... usually the 2nd biggest thing on any given year.... averages roughly 40 million). And further more, outside of House and AI, there biggest show only averages 12 million. So in short, AI isn't going anywhere so long as it continues to average over 20 million.
  • That said, this may not have been the best long term decision for Disney. While AI's ratings are indeed huge.... the show has peaked. Each season since Season 5 or so, ratings have gone down as a whole.
    Season 5 finale: 36.38m
    Season 6 finale: 30.74m
    Season 7 premiere: 33.4m (4.3m down from last season's premiere)
    Like I said though, it is still a huge show and will likely continue to be huge until at least 2012
  • As for the concept art itself, I love parts and don't others. I love the entire left portion. The red carpet and very Hollywood-like entrance is really nice (and I will love it if they have spotlights on all day). However, I do not like the right part at all. I think it's going to completely clash with the GMR/Surrounding area. I also think it is too Idol-specific. I also do not like how they are just blatently naming this 'American Idol.' Couldn't they come up with a more Disney-like name to better fit in? How about 'Disney Idol' or 'Hollywood Idol?'
  • As for the attraction itself, I think they can get themselves into a lot of trouble having Audience members be the judges (not to mention the possibility of idiots in the audience booing child singers). I think it would have been better to have a constantly changing set of Disney characters. Or maybe have one audience member (representing Randy), one Disney Princess (representing Paula) and one Disney Villain (representing Simon). I just have to give Disney, at least with what we know right now, two thumbs down for originality and creativity.

dizniz6

NOOO! I am very upset about this. I heard the rumors but dismissed them because I didnt actually think disney would make an attraction like this. I don't think American Idol is what DHS needs at this time.:cry:

The MaD Hatter

Oh it's going to be VERY popular when it opens. The only problem is that it's not going to be popular for very long...my group of hard working ivy-league professors in the Servotronic Science & Technology Update Division have dubbed this..."The Millionaire Effect."

I agree, this attraction will have the staying power of a 16-year-old boy. :lol:

MKMICKEYFAN#1

Ok, I can see everyone's frustration and all about this announcement, and hey its not my idea of the best attraction to fill that space, but why does everyone have to say such things as "i hope it fails" Isnt this Disney in which we love and we want to do well? Yeah so you may not like the attraction....dont go to it then! No one is forcing you to go and participate. The thing is even though AI is in its 7th season, it is still hugely popular. This year when it came to audition time in Philly, they had one of the biggest crowds ever for their auditions. It says something when a show like this can bring out those numbers and fill arenas and stadiums. Seriously, I hope this attraction does well despite it not being "Disney" or even the most popular idea on wdwmagic.com. It just bugs me that you complain about the theater laying empty then when they announce that they will be putting something in, its not good enough because its not what member: so and so on wdwmagic.com wants.

My only real concern with the attraction is that in the concept art it seems to have the red carpet/entrance to the attraction just where the area with the busts of Walt, Barbara Walters, Oprah and others is located...will this be relocated? taken out? I sure hope they decide to relocate rather then get rid of.

Biff215

I guess I can't say I'm shocked by some of the negativity we're hearing already, considering how quick everyone is to pass judgment on anything these days.

I know there are a lot of Idol-haters out there, and I respect that. While it's not everyone's cup of tea, it obviously appeals to a large group of people out there considering Idol's popularity worldwide. Everyone is quick to point to decreasing ratings and contestants who don't make it, but it's still drawing a hefty audience and selling millions of albums. I know it's hard to admit for some people, but the show is an amazing success and would be considered so even if it ended its run right now.

The reality is that even if Disney only gets five or so years out of the idea, I think you have to admit that time would be a huge improvement for that theater. For nearly a decade all we've seen there is Doug Live and the occasional ABC preview. At least that area of the park is getting some much needed attention, with what looks to be a very unique and well-designed theme park experience.

Don't like AI? Skip the show, and enjoy the fact that the former ABC Theater is actually helping with crowd control on your other Studio favorites. But for the millions of viewers of the show who are interested in such an experience, this should be a slam dunk for Disney.

Good for them for not letting this go someplace else. It might not be Harry Potter, but at least some new things are headed to the Studios!

Pirate665

This is going to destroy so many dreams of children and people. At least WWTBAM didn't destroy dreams. I see many people never coming back to the parks again because of this. And that is what kills me. I think a shirt and a pin doesn't make up for the fact that entire crowd just judged you and then booed you. This is really gonna go down in history as the least magical experience EVER.

>Steve

uklad79

I also think it is too Idol-specific. I also do not like how they are just blatently naming this 'American Idol.' Couldn't they come up with a more Disney-like name to better fit in? How about 'Disney Idol' or 'Hollywood Idol?'
Idol Live
Idol your the star
Idol Play It!
Or something equally as bad.

As for the attraction itself, I think they can get themselves into a lot of trouble having Audience members be the judges (not to mention the possibility of idiots in the audience booing child singers). I think it would have been better to have a constantly changing set of Disney characters. Or maybe have one audience member (representing Randy), one Disney Princess (representing Paula) and one Disney Villain (representing Simon). I just have to give Disney, at least with what we know right now, two thumbs down for originality and creativity.
Why not add a screen as we know Disney are loving them right now and have a few insults from Simon, some dumb comments from Paula or her just looking vauge, and Randy saying some lines with "dog" somewhere in them and then a CM can play them out to fit in with the performance. Or turn Simon, Randy & Paula into animations and do the whole crush thing.

askmike1

It's really not fair comparing it to Who Wants to be a Millionaire. There are many differences....
  1. Millionaire was on all season long, AI is only on for half a season
  2. Millionaire was on (at its peak) 4 days a week (on a weekly basis), American Idol is only on two days a weak (with the occasional 3rd day thrown in early in the season)
  3. Millionaire was on for a total of 3 seasons (only one of which it has been #1 overall). American Idol is in its 7th season and so far no other series has toppled its claim of #1 overall.
  4. Besides for the over saturation, another big reason Millionaire tanked was because of its Celebrity Weeks.... aside from the once-a-year AI 'In Need' special, the show has yet to have charity weeks overtake the regular show.

nanna

and remember, i think the audiences will be deciding the winner. Wasn't there a post a while back that 'millionaire-like' technology would be put into the theatre? As in, instead of answering the question, you could vote for person A, B, C or D?

askmike1

I see many people never coming back to the parks again because of this. And that is what kills me. I think a shirt and a pin doesn't make up for the fact that entire crowd just judged you and then booed you. This is really gonna go down in history as the least magical experience EVER.
That was either incredible sarcasm or a relative of Chicken Little. :)

and Randy saying some lines with "dog" somewhere in them
I believe you mean 'dawg.' ;)

Wasn't there a post a while back that 'millionaire-like' technology would be put into the theatre? As in, instead of answering the question, you could vote for person A, B, C or D?
It's not really 'technology'... it's just pressing a button when they are lit up. :) They would be different buttons of course (given that the already sold the Millionaire ones).

EpcotServo

It's really not fair comparing it to Who Wants to be a Millionaire. There are many differences....
  1. Millionaire was on all season long, AI is only on for half a season
  2. Millionaire was on (at its peak) 4 days a week (on a weekly basis), American Idol is only on two days a weak (with the occasional 3rd day thrown in early in the season)
  3. Millionaire was on for a total of 3 seasons (only one of which it has been #1 overall). American Idol is in its 7th season and so far no other series has toppled its claim of #1 overall.
  4. Besides for the over saturation, another big reason Millionaire tanked was because of its Celebrity Weeks.... aside from the once-a-year AI 'In Need' special, the show has yet to have charity weeks overtake the regular show.

"The Mllionaire Effect" is that the show will be very popular for one to two years before you have to struggle to fill up a show. (This will be worse seeing that ABC Theatre is WAYYY bigger than Millionaire.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom