Am I the only who ignores Universal?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I loved Universal as a teenager but now I'm older I gravitate more to Disney.

I get what you're saying in all your posts. I still always go to Universal but every holiday for the last few years have gone from 4 days to 3 to 2 and this year may possibly only do one. As controversial as it sounds I'm not a huge fan of IOA and prefer the original park. Now that so many old classics have gone (BTTF, Kong, Jaws) I just don't know if I want to swap a guaranteed great day in Disney for a hit and miss one in Universal.

For some reason fans of IOA/Uni get very defensive over it *shrugs*

I do love City Walk though and will make a few trips there.

Good on you for remaining so polite. I would have got chucked off for using rude words at certain people by now ;)
Yeah it really makes someone think twice about giving an opinion that is not the majority but I do anyway as this is what the boards are for. If someone asks a question in their post I give my honest answer and base on my own personal experiences and give everyone else a chance to have their opinion as well. But sometimes you want to do this ..:banghead:o_O Lol

Since1976

Disney gets by a lot on the loyalty of its mega-fans (of which I consider myself), and they certainly know that there is a segment that would not drive within half a mile of their competition "just because." However, I think word has gotten out that Universal is stepping up its game, and even the most devoted Disney fans can't ignore it.

Me? I want Disney to get uneasy about its competition, because it will force them to respond in kind with their own new attractions, lands and upgrades. As a dad with two kids who have been to WDW every year since they were born, I welcome anything that Disney puts out that will keep my growing children invested in their unique brand of magic. If this competition for tourist dollars means that WDW gets knocked down a couple of pegs in the end-of-year listings, so be it. They'll bounce back because they're Disney, while I and my fellow fans of great theme park experiences come out winners.

Runmyhorse

I have personally seen fights break out at Universal twice, and I wouldn't put it past that they were both gang related. Universal and Six Flags appeal to the same audience and that could be a huge factor why they don't have the attendance of WDW in comparison because of that stigma.

Universal, while improving, is just not family friendly.

Jimmy Thick- Let them work on it.

Sorry I have to say this disney isnt much better on family friendly. How many I have personally seen several non friendly thing's happrn at disney

Californian Elitist

Just because people say it's not "Disney" does not mean we did not give it a fair chance to enjoy it in its own right. I have enjoyed other theme parks before other than Disney but Disney for whatever reason even though we are younger adults (30's) with no children keeps us wanting to come back. Uni and IOA (even with HP being there) did not make us feel like we wanted to go back. Others like us did give it a fair chance and it fell short for many reasons not b/c it was NOT DISNEY!! We are not close minded people and really wanted to enjoy it just like the others that have said negative things that have gone that I know. We may go back one day but not in the foreseeable future. :)

I'm talking to those who've specifically stated they don't like Uni, Six Flags, etc. because they weren't Disney, which is ignorant, IMO.

Goofyernmost

My kids were under 10 years old on our first three trips there. They had a blast.
Assuming that you are talking about Universal/IOA here, I will say this. My personal thought about IOA is that it was a park for toddlers to late teens. That's why I didn't go very often. I felt that Universal was more for grownups. IOA and a couple of big coasters and Jurassic Park, but other then that all I saw was little kid stuff. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but the cartoon section just never struck me as anything but little kid stuff.

KB LUVS MGM

Will be in Disney in November and DW and I are going to Universal to see the Harry Potter area. That's the only reason we are going. Kinda looking forward to it however for a five day trip, that leaves only four days in my favorite place.:(

BryceM

Will be in Disney in November and DW and I are going to Universal to see the Harry Potter area. That's the only reason we are going. Kinda looking forward to it however for a five day trip, that leaves only four days in my favorite place.:(
Will you be doing a park hopper, or only going to Islands of Adventure? I hope you have fun in my favorite place! :)

If you have any questions about Islands of Adventure, feel free to PM me! I know that park like the back of my hand.

Mickey_777

Every couple of years or so we'll go to Uni while we are in O-town. Last month was one of those times though we only hit IOA. But we do hit CityWalk on almost every Orlando visit. In other words Uni isn't a must do for us ike WDW is. But we like it. So sometimes we ignore it and sometimes we don't.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't understand why some of you go into different theme/amusement parks expecting them to be Disney. That doesn't make sense. All theme parks are different and unique. I'm glad my Disney visits have completely tainted my tastes. I'm happy I can have a ton of fun at Disney, Universal, Sea World, Six Flags, Knott's or wherever else. I went to the Santa Monica Pier this summer and I greatly enjoyed myself.
I still go to SFOG and enjoy it...knowing that it's nothing like Disney.

BuddyThomas

Assuming that you are talking about Universal/IOA here, I will say this. My personal thought about IOA is that it was a park for toddlers to late teens. That's why I didn't go very often. I felt that Universal was more for grownups. IOA and a couple of big coasters and Jurassic Park, but other then that all I saw was little kid stuff. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but the cartoon section just never struck me as anything but little kid stuff.
Very sorry to disagree but IOA is anything BUT a toddler park.

jensenrick

I don't understand why some of you go into different theme/amusement parks expecting them to be Disney. That doesn't make sense. All theme parks are different and unique. I'm glad my Disney visits have completely tainted my tastes. I'm happy I can have a ton of fun at Disney, Universal, Sea World, Six Flags, Knott's or wherever else. I went to the Santa Monica Pier this summer and I greatly enjoyed myself.

Excellently well put, Raven. I'd even say it's given me a greater appreciation of real places to go.

acishere

I really think its worth the extra money to add onto my WDW trip and spend a couple days there. Spiderman and Potter are the best dark rides I've seen. Terminator is just a great show. Even in its old age it hold up as well as the earlier films.

If Universal is on the same level as Six Flags, I want to go to your Six Flags.

jensenrick

Been to Great America countless times and Universal as well, in fact I was just there last month. Just because I see a similarity to Six Flags and Universal don't mean you have to as well. Its just my opinion but its a popular one among people who have actually been to both from the people I meet and my friends and family. Too bad Iam not the only person who has pointed this out or feels this way.

Look at the Halloween shows both offer. Universal Halloween Horror Nights and Six Flags Frightfest are practically the same thing concept wise but Universal's is far superior, buts its basically the same thing offered to the same kind of audience.

"If you don't like the parks, or think they are below some mythical standard, why are you going and spending thousands of dollars? You should not go, seriously, you should make a point and take your vacation dollar elsewhere."

Computer Magic

I've been on this forum for a long time now, and it seems as though everyone here seems to think that Universal is stealing away people from WDW. Maybe it's true, but it seems like I'm the only one who would just continue to go to only WDW and just ignore Universal. Every time my family and I plan a trip to Florida, we always fold WDW into the proceedings, but never Universal. Considering all the talk on here about WDW vs. Universal, am I the only one here who doesn't even think about Universal when we do a trip to Florida?
Would have liked to see a poll on this. We have never went to Universal. I have thought about it but Disney tactics making leaving property difficult has won. We don't rent a car and it too much work.

We did go to Sea Word in SD and have a Disneyland trip plan.

Megalodumb

I remember when it was called Tales From The Okefenokee.
I'm feeling nostalgic now. So many fond memories at that park.

And while it may not be up to Disney/BGW/Dollywood standards as far as scenery & landscaping goes, it's certainly not bad for Six Flags. I've always enjoyed the wooded feel & hilly terrain in many areas of the place. For a regional park, there is certainly a lot to appreciate here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom