Am I the only who ignores Universal?

BryceM

I'm feeling nostalgic now. So many fond memories at that park.

And while it may not be up to Disney/BGW/Dollywood standards as far as scenery & landscaping goes, it's certainly not bad for Six Flags. I've always enjoyed the wooded feel & hilly terrain in many areas of the place. For a regional park, there is certainly a lot to appreciate here.
If definitely seems to be one of the prettier Six Flags, and actually the only one I've ever been to.

Bairstow

I'm feeling nostalgic now. So many fond memories at that park.

And while it may not be up to Disney/BGW/Dollywood standards as far as scenery & landscaping goes, it's certainly not bad for Six Flags. I've always enjoyed the wooded feel & hilly terrain in many areas of the place. For a regional park, there is certainly a lot to appreciate here.

Ugh. Six Flags Over Georgia is definitely on my avoid list for a while. I love what Goddard did with the Monster Plantation ride and they've got some decent B&M Coasters out there, but the constantly degrading conditions and nonexistent crowd control over there makes me lose faith in humanity whenever I visit. Anyone who complains about FastPass and MyMagicPlus needs to spend a day watching what "FlashPass" does to a queue for one of their coasters. It somehow manages to combine the corporate antagonism of a pay-per-line-jumping system with all the chaos of actual line-jumping.

Dollywood, on the other hand, is hand-on-heart better than Disney in almost every single way. They have the best-motivated, most eager-to-please workforce of any theme park I've ever been to, the best food (sorry EPCOT), and some of the best-selected attractions you'll find anywhere. You could drop Mystery Mine into Frontierland tomorrow morning and the entire Disney internet fan community would be crowing about how Imagineering has finally found their way again.

Megalodumb

You could drop Mystery Mine into Frontierland tomorrow morning and the entire Disney internet fan community would be crowing about how Imagineering has finally found their way again.
I like your Frontierland idea much better, but when I first rode MM, my thought was: This would go great at DHS, and themed to Indiana Jones. (Not sure why Indy was the first thing that came to my mind, but it did).

mickeymatt

Seriously. I'm going to New York this winter. I've been before, but it's been years. I haven't been this excited to go somewhere in a long time. I'm trying to get to Yosemite next spring... Hopefully that happens.
Yosemite is awesome! I went when I was in college and it has always been a place I want to go back and take my family. I hope the recent wildfires have not done too much damage. But the sheer magnitude and beauty of that place is breathtaking.

draybook

I've only been to Six Flags Magic Mountain (in the 80's/early 90-91) and Six Flags St. Louis. I liked SFSL and we've been three times, since it's only a 4 hour drive.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I've been to Universal/IOA multiple times and even though a lot of the rides are fantastic (namely Spiderman, Minion Mayhem, and Simpsons for me) it's no comparison to Disney in my opinion. They're fun parks, but I'm never begging to go to Universal. I go along when a group of my friends are going and such, but it's never my idea to go there.

dhsaddict83

I've been on this forum for a long time now, and it seems as though everyone here seems to think that Universal is stealing away people from WDW. Maybe it's true, but it seems like I'm the only one who would just continue to go to only WDW and just ignore Universal. Every time my family and I plan a trip to Florida, we always fold WDW into the proceedings, but never Universal. Considering all the talk on here about WDW vs. Universal, am I the only one here who doesn't even think about Universal when we do a trip to Florida?

You're not alone. I'm a local (WDW annual passholder) and I only go to Disney; I never go to Universal.

Californian Elitist

Yosemite is awesome! I went when I was in college and it has always been a place I want to go back and take my family. I hope the recent wildfires have not done too much damage. But the sheer magnitude and beauty of that place is breathtaking.

I can't wait to see for myself! I'm a native Californian (Angeleno) and I probably haven't seen even a percent of this state. It's time to go explore.

BryceM

You're not alone. I'm a local (WDW annual passholder) and I only go to Disney; I never go to Universal.
I'm the exact opposite. I'm a Universal Orlando annual passholder and I hardly ever go to WDW. Though I do love WDW, the pass is way too expensive and I love Universal Orlando just as much, possibly more.

rob45

We've been to Universal, and Sea World during a few Disney trips. Universal is okay, I enjoy Sea World better. Our last Universal trip was in 2000. We'll probably take our grandchildren there when they get a little older. After 2 trips to Universal I just soon stay on Disney property and enjoy the 4 parks.

jdnetone

We were at Universal IOA for one day in 2000 with a few bus loads of high school band students. It was fun but we had no desire to go back until this year we wanted to see the WWOHP and do a quick run of the parks to check it out with tickets to see Blue Man group. This year we are going to go two Universal for one day of our trip about the middle of our stay. I hope I can get the transportation work out OK from Port Orleans Riverside and back. I am planning on using a taxi most likely Mears we are flying in and using Magic Express.

Speaking of the cost WOW it is very expensive for just one day but we wanted to check it out on this trip so I booked all the tickets anyway.

Jo DeVil

We find the two are totally different, we go to WDW for 14 nights and 3 nights to Uni, we have two different experiences. We never compare the two and just except them for what they are. It works well for us.

AndyGator

But what if I have a soft spot for amazing dark rides, classic films (such as E.T., Men In Black, Terminator, etc.), an interest in the art of film making and special effects (Disaster!, Twister, Universal's Horror Make-Up Show)? Or what if I love literature, and love immersively themed theme parks (all of Universal's Islands of Adventure)? Oh wait, I can go to Universal Orlando.

Your assessment of Universal being roller coasters, Shrek and pre-teen pop culture is shallow. I don't care if you don't like going there because it isn't Disney, but give it more credit.

I'm glad you like it. I'm sure there is some cool stuff. But overall, I've never been impressed.

I haven't been in a few years. What is the beer situation like in Universal? Do they only have the butter and Duff varieties?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom