Am I the only who ignores Universal?

AndyGator

I've been a few times, when forced. Its just not the same experience as Disney world. If you have a soft spot for roller coasters, Shrek, and pre-teen pop culture humor, check it out. All of the city walk restaurants I've been to are awful. I completely ignore Universal. I hope they steal more and more attendance from Disney World so that the crowds lighten up and the prices stabilize.

Jimmy Thick

My local Six Flags is a Frightfest year round - at Universal I don't have to worry about a gang war breaking out around me.

I have personally seen fights break out at Universal twice, and I wouldn't put it past that they were both gang related. Universal and Six Flags appeal to the same audience and that could be a huge factor why they don't have the attendance of WDW in comparison because of that stigma.

Universal, while improving, is just not family friendly.

Jimmy Thick- Let them work on it.

Jimmy Thick

I've been a few times, when forced. Its just not the same experience as Disney world. If you have a soft spot for roller coasters, Shrek, and pre-teen pop culture humor, check it out. All of the city walk restaurants I've been to are awful. I completely ignore Universal. I hope they steal more and more attendance from Disney World so that the crowds lighten up and the prices stabilize.

Emeril's in City Walk is terrible. Mytho's in IOA is stupendous.

Jimmy Thick- Honestly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have personally seen fights break out at Universal twice, and I wouldn't put it past that they were both gang related. Universal and Six Flags appeal to the same audience and that could be a huge factor why they don't have the attendance of WDW in comparison because of that stigma.

Universal, while improving, is just not family friendly.

Jimmy Thick- Let them work on it.

Universal is not a great option if your kids are little (under 10). They are allegedly trying to address this with Potter 2.0 with more family friendly rides. Is that a great move? Could be, but it could backfire too. Your bread and butter is the teen and young adult crowd. Universal may make a big push for families with young kids, but that will lead to tons of strollers and more meet and greets and less intense rides. Open space and park benches will be replaced by stroller parking. It surprises me when current Universal fans (especially in the teen and young adult without kids camps) talk positively about Universal adding family friendly rides. Keep the ankle biters with their dripping noses, giant strollers and crying tantrums over at the MK.

Californian Elitist

Been to Great America countless times and Universal as well, in fact I was just there last month. Just because I see a similarity to Six Flags and Universal don't mean you have to as well. Its just my opinion but its a popular one among people who have actually been to both from the people I meet and my friends and family. Too bad Iam not the only person who has pointed this out or feels this way.

Look at the Halloween shows both offer. Universal Halloween Horror Nights and Six Flags Frightfest are practically the same thing concept wise but Universal's is far superior, buts its basically the same thing offered to the same kind of audience.

That's just one thing, there are an awful lot more I can think of but its really not that important because these rational, factual thoughts are apparently not supposed to happen because it hurts peoples feelings pointing out the obvious. Iam not inclined to do that.

Jimmy Thick- Reality is a hard master sometimes.

The only similarity you've mentioned is Fright Fest and Horror Nights, and of course you'd mention a season similarity. Give some significant similarities that are year round and really make Six Flags and Universal seem very much alike.

Jimmy Thick

Potential for violence:
1). EPCOT during F&W
2). Six Flags
3). Universal
4). Sea World (PETA protesters;))

I think Epcot during F&W is a popular misconception for being violent. There has been one recent example but if it has been constant year after year, it would have been front page news. Universal and Six Flags and Cedar Point would be much more prone to violence do to the type of crowd those parks attract. I would tie those 3 parks for first without hesitation.

Jimmy Thick- Not the kind of parks to let teens wonder about by themselves, too much potential for trouble.

draybook

Going in expecting Disney could be your problem.

Californian Elitist

I don't understand why some of you go into different theme/amusement parks expecting them to be Disney. That doesn't make sense. All theme parks are different and unique. I'm glad my Disney visits have completely tainted my tastes. I'm happy I can have a ton of fun at Disney, Universal, Sea World, Six Flags, Knott's or wherever else. I went to the Santa Monica Pier this summer and I greatly enjoyed myself.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I don't understand why some of you go into different theme/amusement parks expecting them to be Disney. That doesn't make sense. All theme parks are different and unique. I'm glad my Disney visits have completely tainted my tastes. I'm happy I can have a ton of fun at Disney, Universal, Sea World, Six Flags, Knott's or wherever else. I went to the Santa Monica Pier this summer and I greatly enjoyed myself.
Just because people say it's not "Disney" does not mean we did not give it a fair chance to enjoy it in its own right. I have enjoyed other theme parks before other than Disney but Disney for whatever reason even though we are younger adults (30's) with no children keeps us wanting to come back. Uni and IOA (even with HP being there) did not make us feel like we wanted to go back. Others like us did give it a fair chance and it fell short for many reasons not b/c it was NOT DISNEY!! We are not close minded people and really wanted to enjoy it just like the others that have said negative things that have gone that I know. We may go back one day but not in the foreseeable future. :)

BryceM

But what if I have a soft spot for amazing dark rides, classic films (such as E.T., Men In Black, Terminator, etc.), an interest in the art of film making and special effects (Disaster!, Twister, Universal's Horror Make-Up Show)? Or what if I love literature, and love immersively themed theme parks (all of Universal's Islands of Adventure)? Oh wait, I can go to Universal Orlando.

Your assessment of Universal being roller coasters, Shrek and pre-teen pop culture is shallow. I don't care if you don't like going there because it isn't Disney, but give it more credit.

ToyStorygirl

Just because people say it's not "Disney" does not mean we did not give it a fair chance to enjoy it in its own right. I have enjoyed other theme parks before other than Disney but Disney for whatever reason even though we are younger adults (30's) with no children keeps us wanting to come back. Uni and IOA (even with HP being there) did not make us feel like we wanted to go back. Others like us did give it a fair chance and it fell short for many reasons not b/c it was NOT DISNEY!! We are not close minded people and really wanted to enjoy it just like the others that have said negative things that have gone that I know. We may go back one day but not in the foreseeable future. :)
I loved Universal as a teenager but now I'm older I gravitate more to Disney.

I get what you're saying in all your posts. I still always go to Universal but every holiday for the last few years have gone from 4 days to 3 to 2 and this year may possibly only do one. As controversial as it sounds I'm not a huge fan of IOA and prefer the original park. Now that so many old classics have gone (BTTF, Kong, Jaws) I just don't know if I want to swap a guaranteed great day in Disney for a hit and miss one in Universal.

For some reason fans of IOA/Uni get very defensive over it *shrugs*

I do love City Walk though and will make a few trips there.

Good on you for remaining so polite. I would have got chucked off for using rude words at certain people by now ;)

BrittanyRose428

I haven't been to Universal and I usually don't consider it when planning a trip to WDW. My parents always try to "sell" me on it, saying that some parts of it are better than Disney, as if they're trying to start a fight with me or something, which I find very strange. Just because I love Disney doesn't mean I absolute hate anything that could be considered competition, and I can't form an opinion on a place I haven't been, so I think its very strange when people try to push Universal on me. My reasoning for not going is simply that I love Disney, if I'm saving up money to go to WDW once every couple of years, that's just how I want to spend my vacation. I feel like theres so many things in WDW that I still haven't seen or done, so I look forward to doing those things while I'm in Florida. I don't have any particular problem with Universal, I just enjoy going to WDW. If I lived in the Orlando area, or was able to go more often, I would definitely go to Universal. But since I'm not there that often, I'd rather just stick to what I look forward to most.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For anyone who went pre 2010, try again. You may be surprised.

For anyone who won't go, your loss. Each to their own. You are missing out on some of the best theme park attractions in the (real) world.

And you know I'm not too easily impressed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom