Am I the only person who is not a fan of Pool Hopping???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwitkus

Let me first start by saying that I do not mean any disrespect to anyone with this thread, but I have to say that the idea of pool hopping really bothers me!!

The last thing I want when I go to my resort pool is to find the place crowded both on land and in the water.. I hate getting there and finding no chairs available or so many people in the water that you can't move without swimming into someone or getting kicked by someone as they are swimming..

Granted I always assumed this was a result of a crowded resort, but now I must ask, is this a result of pool hoppers? And if it is, I have to say I would like to see more control of the pool areas to keep them limited to those guests who are paying for the priveledge of swimming there...

Am I the only person who feels this way???

:veryconfu :veryconfu

Tramp

The numbers add up

Apparently 20% of the members who voted think everyone should pool hop...extrapolate that to include the total number of guests on Disney property in a given day and the 'potential' for serious pool capacity problems is not unimaginable.

Upvote 0

emmagata

Originally posted by garyhoov
Look at it this way. Some people grab extra ketchup packets when they're in McDonalds to take home and use later. It's wrong, but it's not a capital offense. Nobody is going to make a big deal about people who do it, but if someone gets on a soap-box and claims it's their "right" to do it, they're saying something that is going to get a response from people.

Taking extra ketchup (or is that catsup?) not a big issue?

You've never visited a Burger King then. Most of them don't have ketchup other than what they give you from behind the counter. The one in Berwick Pa asks you how many you want. I think it's even on the receipt.

Also, some fast food places use big tubs of ketchup with little cups to hold it. Try slipping those into your pocket.

Some places are even tight with napkins and utensils

I once saw a family (a large one) eating at the Wendy's Super Bar (may it rest in peace) that would go fill up their plates piled high with stuff ,take it out to their car and come back in for more.

Taking a material item like food or a non-tangible item like a service is the same thing. If you didn't pay for it (or your share), it's stealing. That's why some people don't think that "sharing" a cable TV connection from their neighbor is stealing because they can't touch it or feel it.

Upvote 0

kaos

Let me first say that there is no way in hell that I am reading 13 pages of this.

Having said that, I apologize if I have already brought up a point that was discussed on one of those 13 pages.

Back in the day, resort guests were encouraged via the Disney Resort closed circuit TV network to explore the other resorts and even make use of the pools. With the additions of the new resorts and the new resort pools, the trend has been to explore your own resort.

HOWEVER,
as a Disney Vacation Club member, we are told to use ANY of the resort pools that we would like. Now, I think that this is just for Vacation Club members, and indeed, when asked to produce ny resort ID and also my Vacation Club ID at the Wilderness Lodge, everything was all good.

Upvote 0

JungleJim

Account Suspended
Originally posted by kaos
Let me first say that there is no way in hell that I am reading 13 pages of this.

Having said that, I apologize if I have already brought up a point that was discussed on one of those 13 pages.

Back in the day, resort guests were encouraged via the Disney Resort closed circuit TV network to explore the other resorts and even make use of the pools. With the additions of the new resorts and the new resort pools, the trend has been to explore your own resort.

HOWEVER,
as a Disney Vacation Club member, we are told to use ANY of the resort pools that we would like. Now, I think that this is just for Vacation Club members, and indeed, when asked to produce ny resort ID and also my Vacation Club ID at the Wilderness Lodge, everything was all good.

I wouldn’t admit you are a DVC member on this board! Someone might call you a Howell!

Your Pal,
Gaston

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
I.P. Freely!

Here's a new twist. I have some friends that just booked at the WL and the information provided to them by their travel agent states, "As a WDW guest, you are welcome to use the pool facilities at any of the resorts.". I just found out tonight that a relative of mine is going to WDW for a convention at CS (during the same time our family will be there...it's a small world...sorry). He told me the same thing. I attempted to tell them that they must have been provided with old promotional packages, but my relative checked the date on the literature and it was 2002! Boy, and I was doing everything I could to try and stay out of the WDW pools. I want to spend my time in the parks rather than swimming with a bunch of children urinating in the pool all day (also, I'm the incontinent one, not the children).:lol:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Merlin

I normally agree with The Mom, but I have to say that I don't think this would be the best "solution" to the problem. In fact, I think it would actually make the pools more crowded with non-guests. By having a system where non-guests can pay to swim there, the company is basically extending the invitation to a larger number of people to come swim there. My friend told me they keep track of how many guests versus non-guests are using it on any given day, and the non-guest percentage is something like 70%. Bottom line: Charging a price would not discourage, it would encourage.

Merlin, as I posted, when the hotel is at full capacity, no wristbands are sold to non-guests. If it's 50% capacity, and the waterpark could hold, say 1,000 guests (just pulling a figure out of air), then up to 500 wristbands would be sold.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I was curious to know Disney's official stance on pool hopping. So I emailed guest relations. Here is the email I recieved in response:

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

We appreciate your interest in learning about Walt Disney World Resort recreation pool facilities. Our research has indicated that most of our guests feel it is more important to have swimming space available at the resort in which they are staying, rather than to swim at another resort. We would like to mention that guests are able to enjoy the pools located at the resort in which
they are residing. Our swimming areas are designed to accommodate the number of guests staying at each particular resort. Consequently, the total number of guests staying at the Walt Disney World Resort could potentially create crowded conditions at some of our more popular swimming facilities.

Due to issues related to capacity and guest satisfaction, the pool hopping program for Stormalong Bay, the main feature pool at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts, was discontinued effective July 1, 2002. Disney Vacation Club Members will no longer be able to pool hop to Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts, UNLESS they are staying at these resorts or at Disney's Beach Club Villas. The current pool hopping program at the Walt Disney World Resort hotel pools will continue to be available to Members with the exception of certain restricted dates and/or further capacity issues.

We hope this information will be helpful.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
If anyone has a brochure, etc. produced and printed BY WDW giving them permission to use ANY pool at any resort....that's great! However, I would advise them to bring it along with them while attempting to use Stormalong Bay (in particular, unless they're staying at BC, BCV, or YC) as they might run into a CM who hasn't heard about this exception and might give them a hard time.

BTW...thanks, Eeyore...that looks pretty definitve to me! ;)

Upvote 0

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Re: I.P. Freely!

Originally posted by Talsonic
Here's a new twist. I have some friends that just booked at the WL and the information provided to them by their travel agent states, "As a WDW guest, you are welcome to use the pool facilities at any of the resorts.". I just found out tonight that a relative of mine is going to WDW for a convention at CS (during the same time our family will be there...it's a small world...sorry). He told me the same thing. I attempted to tell them that they must have been provided with old promotional packages, but my relative checked the date on the literature and it was 2002! Boy, and I was doing everything I could to try and stay out of the WDW pools. I want to spend my time in the parks rather than swimming with a bunch of children urinating in the pool all day (also, I'm the incontinent one, not the children).:lol:

Well....well.....well....isn't this certainly very interesting? Disney is, in fact, ENCOURAGING guests to pool hop. I see the point in not allowing non-WDW resort guests to do this, but those staying on-property are paying for pool upkeep regardless of where they're actually staying, thus aren't 'stealing' anything by swimming in another resort's pool.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by emmagata

Taking extra ketchup (or is that catsup?) not a big issue?

You've never visited a Burger King then. Most of them don't have ketchup other than what they give you from behind the counter. The one in Berwick Pa asks you how many you want. I think it's even on the receipt.

Also, some fast food places use big tubs of ketchup with little cups to hold it. Try slipping those into your pocket.

Some places are even tight with napkins and utensils

I once saw a family (a large one) eating at the Wendy's Super Bar (may it rest in peace) that would go fill up their plates piled high with stuff ,take it out to their car and come back in for more.

Taking a material item like food or a non-tangible item like a service is the same thing. If you didn't pay for it (or your share), it's stealing. That's why some people don't think that "sharing" a cable TV connection from their neighbor is stealing because they can't touch it or feel it.

I've even run into fast food places that will charge you extra for ketchup above a certain number of packets! :eek: I don't suppose people grabbing enough packets for several families at one time had anything to do with that, do you? ;)

Let's face it, the people taking the attitude of "if they don't seem to care how many I take, I'll take as many as I can" punish others who take only what they need, and what is reasonable. If I have a toddler with me, I'll probably need more than one or two napkins. If I'm by myself, one should be enough. If I take 12, and use the rest at home (instead of buying them) I'm abusing the system. Does "everyone" do this? Perhaps. Is it really so bad? Not really. But when you have to beg for extra ketchup, or find yourself having to pull out your resort ID everytime you turn around, you can blame "everyone." ;)

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Re: Re: I.P. Freely!

Originally posted by YankeeFan

but those staying on-property are paying for pool upkeep regardless of where they're actually staying, thus aren't 'stealing' anything by swimming in another resort's pool.

I fail to understand how this can be.

Lets assume you pay $100 for your one night stay at a resort. And lets say 1% of that payment is for the upkeep of the pool. Therefore you have paid $1 towards the pools running cost.

Now lets assume you pool hop. Your $1 contribution is now being split across 2 resorts, meaning you are contributing the same $1, but are now using 2 pools.

Therefore you are not contributing towards the running costs.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Re: Re: I.P. Freely!

Originally posted by YankeeFan

Well....well.....well....isn't this certainly very interesting? Disney is, in fact, ENCOURAGING guests to pool hop. I see the point in not allowing non-WDW resort guests to do this, but those staying on-property are paying for pool upkeep regardless of where they're actually staying, thus aren't 'stealing' anything by swimming in another resort's pool.

The poster states that the brochure was provided by his TRAVEL AGENT, and not Disney CRO. Travel agents are notorious for providing incorrect information (either deliberately or through misunderstandings or outdated info). At the end of the day, Travel Agents can say whatever they feel like, whether it is endorsed by Disney or not.

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

Re: ?????????????

Originally posted by aust
May I ask what in the world you are talking about (pool hopping)
don't you mean park hopper?
sorry I don't understand Iam not the smartest guy around.:confused:

Disneyworld here I come October 3 year in a row !!!
(don't you love it?)

No... its pool hopping -- its when you go from resort to resort and use their pool.

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

I may have missed it in the 13 pages of posts but you most definately need a wrist band to swim in the pool at The Yacht & Beach Clubs. They need to see a room key when you enter the pool area, if you don't have a key for that resort you don't get into the pool. It's that simple. Why should you pay $300 a night to stay at a deluxe resort and have everyone under the sun in your pool?? You pay for what you get so if you stay at a value resort you get that pool. Who has time to go swimming anyways!!:) :hammer: :hammer:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Watch out,SnowWhite! The masses will start chasing you, calling you an elitist snob for not wanting the folks staying in the cheaper hotels sharing your deluxe facilities....they don't care that you paid more; you should share!! Run, before they set up the guillotine in front of the castle and behead people who dare to think they should have exclusive use of their deluxe resort's pool, just because they've paid through the nose to stay there!! :lol:

Upvote 0

maureen ashton

Are you pool hopping people the same people who stop/park in no stop/parking zones, park in front of department/grocery stores waiting for your other half to come out etc. etc. you should be ashamed. My favourite saying lately has been "What makes you so much more important than the rest of us?" I would have thought we as humans would have become more considerate after 9/11, but I have found the opposite to be true and this has been confirmed in the many posts on this sight regarding the rude humans you have encountered. If you don't like the pool you have try the water parks they are great fun. Sorry for ranting but I needed to get this off my chest.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by maureen ashton
If you don't like the pool you have try the water parks they are great fun.

I agree totally with you, Maureen.

But, see, the thing with pool hoppers is not just that they're inconsiderate, or think that rules of polite society do not apply to them, they are also cheapskates!!!!

They don't want to pay $30 for a water park, so they sneak over to Stormalong Bay for the next best thing.

Upvote 0

Tramp

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes

...they are also cheapskates!!!!

LMAO...well, someone had to say it...ya call it like ya see it!

...so, put on your flak jacket, strap on your helmet and get in this foxhole with me...:lol: :lol: :lol: ... "INCOMING"

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by celticdog
Rather than posting another Cm to check Id's, the resorts could become gated communities. The only way onto the property is to have a roomkey. Those checking in for reservations will be forced to go though a manned gate and show proper ID. Once guests have keys they can go through unmanned gates.

Don't they already do this at all the WDW resorts? When you check in you tell the person at the gate and they check a list. Then after that you can go through a room key gate.

Is this what you are talking about, or are you thinking of something else?

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I think he means having gates barring access to any part of the resort grounds, except for the lobby,restaurants, and shops. That way you would have to use a room key to unlock a gate or door to get to the pool.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom