Am I the only person who is not a fan of Pool Hopping???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwitkus

Let me first start by saying that I do not mean any disrespect to anyone with this thread, but I have to say that the idea of pool hopping really bothers me!!

The last thing I want when I go to my resort pool is to find the place crowded both on land and in the water.. I hate getting there and finding no chairs available or so many people in the water that you can't move without swimming into someone or getting kicked by someone as they are swimming..

Granted I always assumed this was a result of a crowded resort, but now I must ask, is this a result of pool hoppers? And if it is, I have to say I would like to see more control of the pool areas to keep them limited to those guests who are paying for the priveledge of swimming there...

Am I the only person who feels this way???

:veryconfu :veryconfu

aust

?????????????

May I ask what in the world you are talking about (pool hopping)
don't you mean park hopper?
sorry I don't understand Iam not the smartest guy around.:confused:

Disneyworld here I come October 3 year in a row !!!
(don't you love it?)

Upvote 0

rmforney

Originally posted by mwitkus

:veryconfu :veryconfu

No!! I have to agree with you mwitkus, I like to come back from the resort and relax by the pool, and not have it over crowded. For those of you who don't know, pool hopping is simply going to other pools in other resorts that are not your own. Technically, you are only allowed to use the pool at the resort you are in, unless you are a Disney Vacation Club member, they have pool hopping privilages. This I have no problem with, after all, they are paying for it....

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I think it has become a problem with the "fancier", more public pools...especially Stormalong Bay, Boardwalk, Polynesian, and perhaps, Contemporary. People will see the neat slides, etc, then come back to use them. Also, these are not only resort guests doing the hopping, but also off site guests.

Way back when, ALL resort guests were allowed to use ANY resort pool, but this was when only the Polynesian, Carribean Beach, and Port Orleans resorts had "fancy" slides, etc.

When WDW added many more resorts, especially ones with "standard" pools, guests at the resorts with "fancy" pools started complaining that they couldn't utilize their own pools, and felt it was unfair, since they were paying extra for "perks" which may have included a "neat" pool.

Obviously, many people still pool hop. Is it against the rules? Of course! Is it unfair...it depends upon whether you're a guest who can't find a chair or have to wait forever to go down a slide....and how many pool hoppers are at your pool that day.

I have stayed at Atlantis (in the Bahamas) and they solved the problem by using bracelets. Guests were issued one upon presenting a valid resort card. Non-guests could purchase a certain number for around $10....it would depend upon number of registered guests, and capacity. Everyone was checked before going down a slide, into the lazy river, etc...and security would wander around checking people in lounge chairs, pool, etc. It seemed to work out fairly well. That way, non-guests could enjoy the facilities, and guests weren't denied usage.

Upvote 0

Tramp

I don't have the time to 'pool hop'

During our last stay at the Beach Club two years ago, the pool was packed with local kids...the wait on the slide was 10-15 minutes longer than it should have been and there were tons of pool chairs with a towel on them that were unoccupied by the kids...we talked with several of the kids and they openly admitted that their mom dropped them at the resort to swim and would be back later to pick them up. I don't know if this is a regular practice at the other resorts, but it sure was at the Beach Club.

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by The Mom
I have stayed at Atlantis (in the Bahamas) and they solved the problem by using bracelets. Guests were issued one upon presenting a valid resort card. Non-guests could purchase a certain number for around $10....it would depend upon number of registered guests, and capacity. Everyone was checked before going down a slide, into the lazy river, etc...and security would wander around checking people in lounge chairs, pool, etc. It seemed to work out fairly well. That way, non-guests could enjoy the facilities, and guests weren't denied usage.

I loved that hotel! I didn´t swim in there and we were only touring it, but yes, if you didn´t have the bracelet, I can assure you you wouldn´t dare to jump in the water! Security was all over!

I wouldn´t dare to pool hop because it seems like too much effort to be able to do it. I like swimming in my pool and being able to order things and charge them to my room and when I´m ready to go, go straight to my own shower, not a public one, and having to leave that other hotel to go to my own or carry my stuff with me, just feels like a hassle to me. So... nah...:animwink:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Having spent 9+ hours on a white knuckle ride just to get there Im damned if im going to waste precious park time in a pool. Ill have a dip at the end of the day, refreshing and pool thief free. Or late afternoon if going out for the evening. Come to think of it the buisiest i saw the pool at POR was late at night after the MK closed, so not getting a bed was no problem, as I didnt want to get moon stroke.

I can see that if youve parted with a large wedge that not being able to use the pool would irritate.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Originally posted by mwitkus
IMHO pool hoppers should be arrested for trespass. They are stealing a service they didn't pay for.

Whilst the recent thread on how to pool hop was entertaining, I don't feel that the practice sgould be condoned. When you pay a lot of money to stay at a resort you don't expect to have to put up with jerks who fel they have a right to use something, just because it is there and they don't feel like paying for it.

I would have no qorries about shopping anyone I found to be illegally on property, anywhere, and that includes pool hoppers.

At least at Port Orleans they have to get passed the from gate before they can even attempt it.

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
My thoughts are this....if you are a staying at a WDW resort...fine...makes sense.....since you are paying big bucks to stay on property...you should be able to go anywhere you want within reason... but dont be a d.i.c.k. about it, show some respect for the other familys and stuff... :)

....but....if you are staying at Days Inn or the best western or anywhere else off property...swim in your own pool there.... I mean...if I am staying on property...I dont go over to Jim Bob's Motel 6 and swim in your pool...and take your chair....and kick you in the gut when I am trying to swim... do I? No...

Upvote 0

GoofyMike29

I dislike Pool Hoppers ( even though I have done my fair share of pool hopping in WDW and at the Jersey Shore!)
When I stayed at the Beach Club way too many people were there, this was 3 years ago and this year they started the wrist band thing which limits the amount of pool hoppers

Upvote 0

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Personally, the only pet peeve I have where pool-hopping is concerned is with people who whine and complain about it. I've pool-hopped in the past and will continue to do so during my stays if I so desire. Disney has 3 water parks, and numerous resorts with great swimming facilities. People complaining about those who pool-hop need to just stop and find something worthwhile to complain about. Pool-hopping hurts nobody, and besides, Disney has several water parks and numerous other resorts with fine swimming facilities for people to use if they see fit. Whenever I pool-hopped in the past, I've been discreet enough to not bring 10 other people with me so that we could steal all the chairs or cause a ruckus. The groups that DO make the ruckus are the ones that deserve to be complained about.

Upvote 0

Loucifr

Disney advertises and encourages resort restaurant and bar hopping.

You know why: MONEY

They just need to figure out how to rent out pool privileges. Problem solved.

Personally I do not have a big problem with Pool hopping for other WDW resort guests. I think that the local-yokels dropping the kids off for the day, and people from
Non-Disney hotels is pretty much BS.

For the Money that it costs to stay at a Disney resort (even the cheaper ones) pool hopping should be your inalienable right.

Since you brought up Pool hopping here is one for ya. We have a house in Kissimmee so we stay off property (and no I do not pool hop) but I do rape the system here ya go: when going to MK early in the morning go to the Grand Floridian or one of the other monorail hotels. Tell the security guy you are going for breakfast. They tell you “this is not Magic Kingdom parking that they will tow your car, you can only park there for 2 hours, BLAH BLAH BLAH.”

DO NOT PARK THE CAR IN THE FREE GENERAL PARKING.

Valet park. It costs 6 bucks, the receipt from the valet can be used to valet park the car all day at any other WDW resort. So you go to Epcot in the afternoon, valet park at boardwalk (for free) and take the boat. Have done this for years have NEVER had a problem.

All Disney cares about is that they get my 6 bucks a day for parking. So I prefer to spend my 6 bucks on “full service” parking.

Upvote 0

Erika

Originally posted by YankeeFan
Personally, the only pet peeve I have where pool-hopping is concerned is with people who whine and complain about it. I've pool-hopped in the past and will continue to do so during my stays if I so desire. Disney has 3 water parks, and numerous resorts with great swimming facilities. People complaining about those who pool-hop need to just stop and find something worthwhile to complain about. Pool-hopping hurts nobody, and besides, Disney has several water parks and numerous other resorts with fine swimming facilities for people to use if they see fit.

Shouldn't that be an argument AGAINST pool-hopping?:confused: If you want a better pool, head on over to the water parks. And according to the rules, the resort pools are NOT for people to use as they see fit. They are for guests of those particular resorts.

Whenever I pool-hopped in the past, I've been discreet enough to not bring 10 other people with me so that we could steal all the chairs or cause a ruckus. The groups that DO make the ruckus are the ones that deserve to be complained about.

I don't think the point is that people are pool-hopping in big groups- 10 independant pool-hoppers use the same amount of space as a group of 10. I can understand the complaints of people who have gone to the pool and found there was no room for them, because people had wandered over from elsewhere.

Like Mom keeps saying, pool-hopping depends on the crowds. If it's pretty deserted, nobody really has a reason to complain. But when pools get crowded, that's a different story. I guess my vote is somewhere in between.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Loucifr:
They just need to figure out how to rent out pool privileges. Problem solved.
I like this idea. A higher rate for all locals and non-Disney resort guests, and a lower rate for people staying on property.

When we stayed at the Beach Club in July, we were asked for our room key cards every time we went to Stormalong Bay. I was glad, because it was crowded enough as it was, and part of the reason we were willing to pay "extra" was for the pool.

Upvote 0

JLW11Hi

I never knew they let you pool hop. I would think Disney would look down on you for doing it, but I am sure people get away with it all the time.

Personally, as much as I love the pools, I never seem to want to go in them. Mabey if I had some friends with me or something, but usually I just go with my parents and swimming aint as fun. I personally think each resort has their own "cool" pool, which should be reserved for those at the resort. So there is no need to pool hop, IMO.

What I do enjoy to do, though, is go boating in the lakes. I am pretty sure Disney doesnt mind if "outsiders" use the speedboats or water mice at other resorts, since you have to pay for them anyway.

Upvote 0

JungleJim

Account Suspended
Originally posted by YankeeFan
Personally, the only pet peeve I have where pool-hopping is concerned is with people who whine and complain about it. I've pool-hopped in the past and will continue to do so during my stays if I so desire. Disney has 3 water parks, and numerous resorts with great swimming facilities. People complaining about those who pool-hop need to just stop and find something worthwhile to complain about. Pool-hopping hurts nobody, and besides, Disney has several water parks and numerous other resorts with fine swimming facilities for people to use if they see fit. Whenever I pool-hopped in the past, I've been discreet enough to not bring 10 other people with me so that we could steal all the chairs or cause a ruckus. The groups that DO make the ruckus are the ones that deserve to be complained about.

I think its worthwhile to complain about people that steal.

Upvote 0

Loucifr

Stealing? I think that is a pretty strong term. Webster says stealing “is to take away with out right or permisson”. They may be trespassing but stealing, nope.

Personally I do not see why everyone is so ed cause people are in the pool. How do you people tell the difference between a “pool-jumper” and a registered guest? I mean if you walk up to a crowded pool do you assume it is full because of “pool-jumpers”. When the hotels are booked to capacity the pools are full anyways.

If you want a private pool BUY A HOUSE. They are hotels you have to share the pools.

Upvote 0

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Erika
Shouldn't that be an argument AGAINST pool-hopping?:confused: If you want a better pool, head on over to the water parks. And according to the rules, the resort pools are NOT for people to use as they see fit. They are for guests of those particular resorts. I don't think the point is that people are pool-hopping in big groups- 10 independant pool-hoppers use the same amount of space as a group of 10. I can understand the complaints of people who have gone to the pool and found there was no room for them, because people had wandered over from elsewhere. Like Mom keeps saying, pool-hopping depends on the crowds. If it's pretty deserted, nobody really has a reason to complain. But when pools get crowded, that's a different story. I guess my vote is somewhere in between.

No, the complaint is against people who whine about pool-hopping. "According to the rules"....blah blah blah....the same people who quote the rules are also ones who may have received speeding tickets at one point in time or another. Isn't speeding against the rules too? Disney posts these irrelevant and unenforced rules as a discouragement. They generally make no effort to stop people at every resort pool and see if they're a resort guest. And as far as the resort pools being for people as they see fit....they really are. Check any pool there for levels of urine and see how people are using them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom