All things Universal Studios Hollywood

George Lucas on a Bench

I went to Universal Studios Florida the summer it opened and each subsequent summer until the early 2000s. I considered it the best theme park I'd ever been to. They had Ghostbusters, E.T., King Kong, Back to the Future, Jaws, Alfred Hitchcock, Hanna Barbera, Nickelodeon Studios, the horror makeup show, Earthquake, the Star Trek experience where you could star in your own video. It was by far the coolest park.

Phroobar

It's pretty amazing how much of the park has changed since even 2013. Here is the park map in 2013.

UEiFFhc.jpg

Here it is now with everything that has been altered or removed.

03Czvqj.jpg

Homemade Imagineering

So the mummy guards at revenge of the mummy have been discontinued, and with this, along with many other effects on the ride being taken down over the years, could this all be a hint towards this rides possible closure? Also, the ride is 15 years old now, which is old for a stand alone attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood. Just my personal speculation, based on the rides current state. This is NOT a rumor, just my personal speculation, so please take this all with the smallest grain of salt possible. Jpland even discussed this in his latest video. Maybe some of you guys have thoughts on this?

socalifornian

So the mummy guards at revenge of the mummy have been discontinued, and with this, along with many other effects on the ride being taken down over the years, could this all be a hint towards this rides possible closure? Also, the ride is 15 years old now, which is old for a stand alone attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood. Just my personal speculation, based on the rides current state. This is NOT a rumor, just my personal speculation, so please take this all with the smallest grain of salt possible. Jpland even discussed this in his latest video. Maybe some of you guys have thoughts on this?
This is from Inside Universal:
1D30E14F-BC7A-44CC-9A6E-81663AA1EA9E.jpeg

APs came down in price too so I’d say it’s just budget cuts

Phroobar

I heard a rumor that it was going to be Gringotts but I kind of doubt it since you need the surrounding buildings to go with it. The Mummy does need to go. Too bad the Dark Cinematic Universe didn't fly. It would have made a great base for a Universal Monsters ride.

waltography

It’d be a shame if the ride closed, given that it’s one of the few rides at the park that has at least some form of practical effects/diverges from the ride vehicle in front of a screen trope. It also doesn’t seem to take much to refresh the ride either.

Phroobar

It’d be a shame if the ride closed, given that it’s one of the few rides at the park that has at least some form of practical effects/diverges from the ride vehicle in front of a screen trope. It also doesn’t seem to take much to refresh the ride either.
It's a good coaster but the IP is outdated. I wish they would refresh it and fix those missing effects.

Professortango1

It's pretty amazing how much of the park has changed since even 2013. Here is the park map in 2013.

UEiFFhc.jpg

Here it is now with everything that has been altered or removed.

03Czvqj.jpg

Jurassic Park is still there, just as Jurassic World, but the ride is the same. House of Horrors just became Walking Dead, so still essentially the same attraction. Shrek 4D is now Dreamworks Theatre, offering the same style of attraction and same building.

Homemade Imagineering

It's a good coaster but the IP is outdated. I wish they would refresh it and fix those missing effects.
I totally agree with you. Almost every time I ride it nowadays, at least one thing isn’t working, or working properly. It definitely needs a good refurb soon, and if it were to be replaced, hopefully universal builds a dark ride based off a more relevant IP.

mickEblu

I still think it's sad how Universal updated itself by getting rid of ET and Back to the Future. Both of which are in this day and age more popular than the Simpsons or the 2000s Mummy films. They should have kept those attractions.

I remember being so disappointed when I rode the Simpsons for the first time and found out it was still a simulator. The Simpson’s should have been a dark ride fun house/ coaster ride.

Phroobar

I agree. The Simpsons has so much to go off of and it would have been great to have a ride through Springfield.
We kind of got a ride through Springfield just as a screen instead. I agree, it would have made an awesome dark ride though. However, I still don't understand why the Simpsons are still on tv. But then again, I don't understand why SNL is still around either. It seems like such a dated property to have an entire land and ride based on it. <starts to humm Imperial March>

PiratesMansion

I miss Back to the Future and T2. I never got to experience them at USH, but when we went to USF in 2003, those were the attractions that MADE the park for our family, BTTF especially. I do wish we would have been able to experience the original Kongfrontation, but alas, one can't have everything.

At the same time, the last time I experienced both, BTTF felt dated (not that Simpsons is better in that regard) and I had forgotten how much of a time suck T2 was when I only had a few hours at the park. I enjoy the Simpsons ride, but the decision to animate the characters in 3D has aged poorly, and it's still ultimately inferior to what it replaced.

ET, however...I genuinely don't get the nostalgia for this ride. I suppose I never experienced it as a young child, and I haven't seen the movie in ages, but it's a ride that's always baffled me. I appreciate that it's a ride with physical sets and not screens, and the forest part of the queue is cool, but otherwise? I'd honestly rather have Mummy and Space Fantasy. Dated IP or not, I love both Mummy rides and would be disappointed if Universal got rid of them.

In modern USH's favor, at least they still have the Earthquake experience. In Hollywood's disfavor, at least in Florida the terrible Fast & Furious is easy to skip; in CA you have no choice but to tolerate it if you choose to do what is otherwise the park's best ride.

D.Silentu

I'd honestly rather have Mummy and Space Fantasy. Dated IP or not, I love both Mummy rides and would be disappointed if Universal got rid of them.
Mummy, as a coaster, is fun and unique to the park that it is in. However, as a complete ride experience, it is merely passable in every other respect. It feels like a ride you would find at a non Universal or Disney park. It never was a "must ride" experience, but after the original finale was removed it stands as one of the most obvious candidates for replacement at Universal. For whatever reason, the sister attractions at other Universal parks seem to have been better designed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom