All things Universal Studios Hollywood

MK-fan

Here’s a map I found from 20 years ago:

0BFE901B-197A-430C-98EB-ADFD38ED5000.jpeg

This has to be the best roster that the park had when it was in its first 10 years of transitioning into a theme park like it’s big brother in Florida. I feel USH went through some dark and confusing years up until 2012 and has been on a roll ever since.

MK-fan

I know that but the park was just a tour and some shows that complimented it. 1989 came and for the next 10 years brought in lots of significant additions coinciding with attraction that were opening in Florida and signified the transition of becoming more of a theme park

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I know that but the park was just a tour and some shows that complimented it. 1989 came and for the next 10 years brought in lots of significant additions coinciding with attraction that were opening in Florida and signified the transition of becoming more of a theme park

Universal became a theme park in Los Angeles starting in 1964. No matter what was going on with attractions, USH came before USO and therefore cannot be considered younger.

TP2000

Universal became a theme park in Los Angeles starting in 1964. No matter what was going on with attractions, USH came before USO and therefore cannot be considered younger.

Preach it!

Universal Studios Tour opened in 1964, featuring lovely young ladies known as the Tour Guide Corps who would narrate the 4 hour long GlamorTram ride that included several rest stops. Blazer clad young men like the one in the background actually drove the GlamorTrams while the pretty tour guide narrated, because it was 1964 and California law stated that men had to drive all things back then. :cool:

lla_306_fantasy_universal_smilingbeauties_fixed800p.jpg

Californian Elitist

Preach it!

Universal Studios Tour opened in 1964, featuring lovely young ladies known as the Tour Guide Corps who would narrate the 4 hour long GlamorTram ride that included several rest stops. Blazer clad young men like the one in the background actually drove the GlamorTrams while the pretty tour guide narrated, because it was 1964 and California law stated that men had to drive all things back then. :cool:

I live for classiness like this. As much as I enjoy the tour, I wish it was more like this.

RobWDW1971

Preach it!

Ah, the days of personal appearance standards. Like Disneyland’s Tour Guides - used to be all lovely, fit, professional young women who added an air of class and grace to the park. Now....well....

For the younger folks on this site, there was an ancient time when pride in one’s appearance and expectations for employees was not considered “shaming” or “judging” (and tour guide skirts weren’t even made in sizes above 8 (and real size 8, not Chico’s)).

Last edited:

Phroobar

Ah, the days of personal appearance standards. Like Disneyland’s Tour Guides - used to be all lovely, fit, professional young women who added an air of class and grace to the park. Now....well....

For the younger folks on this site, there was an ancient time when pride in one’s appearance and expectations for employees was not considered “shaming” or “judging”. (and tour guide skirts weren’t even made in sizes above 8 (and real size 8, not Chico’s)).
Park employees where prettier back then.

c9ff6a58297fba741e019b3e2ce561dd.jpg

Californian Elitist

yes, just like Knotts has been a theme park for 100 years.

And yet, USO will never be USH’s “older brother.” It’s absolutely absurd to think such a thing, especially considering how long the actual studio has been there. USH is older, and that’s a fact that can’t be disputed. It is the original Universal park. It is what it is. Just like Disneyland is the original Disney park, SeaWorld San Diego is the original, Busch Gardens originated in Los Angeles, etc.

I get what you’re trying to say, but it is a fact that USH is the original Universal park and therefore older than USO. 🤷🏾‍♀️

MK-fan

And yet, USO will never be USH’s “older brother.” It’s absolutely absurd to think such a thing, especially considering how long the actual studio has been there. USH is older, and that’s a fact that can’t be disputed. It is the original Universal park. It is what it is. Just like Disneyland is the original Disney park, SeaWorld San Diego is the original, Busch Gardens originated in Los Angeles, etc.

I get what you’re trying to say, but it is a fact that USH is the original Universal park and therefore older than USO. 🤷🏾‍♀️
I understand, I worded that wrong in terms of big brother, what I meant was it’s bigger, has more to do, not bigger in terms of age.

UpAllNight

USH is a fantastic park now, and imo is actually a much better, more balanced park than USO. Mario & Secret Life Of Pets will only further that gap.

I’m actually slightly concerned for USO with Epic Universe on the way. There doesn’t seem to be plan to sort out screen city entrance, or Kidzone. Large parts of the park are pretty flat but there’s some fantastic highlights in there.

Animaniac93-98

View attachment 437177
This has to be the best roster that the park had when it was in its first 10 years of transitioning into a theme park like it’s big brother in Florida. I feel USH went through some dark and confusing years up until 2012 and has been on a roll ever since.

If it's any consolation, Japan still has Terminator 2, Backdraft and the original Jurassic Park and Orlando still has E.T.

Japan also still had Back to the Future up until 2016. I wish at least one Universal still had it. I think if they brought it back with updated FX it would be very popular.

Animaniac93-98

True - that was the original, now completely abandoned, concept of “casting” on stage roles.

They still do this for characters and stage performers, but I think Disney realizes that they can't realistically operate a theme park in 2019 America with all slim and trim employees.

SuddenStorm

Forget Disney Look and "casting", I'll settle for not seeing Nemo employees in Frontierland or other egregious examples of breaking show.

Sure, sometimes it's necessary to cut through lands due to there being no backstage access, but there's no reason for a Nemo employee to ever be along the ROA.

It just feels like there's a feeling of casualness amongst CM's these days, that correlates with a decline in show, service, and a complete disregard for the standards Disneyland once had.

JD2000

View attachment 437177
USH was really something then, but never recovered from what it lost. Practical everything. Limited projections. It was up there with Disney parks. Universal should have stayed on that course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom