All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Phroobar

Wow that’s interesting. That must have all ended in the early to mid 80s? Don’t remember any of that from my trips in the late 80s. Maybe I forgot. I was pretty young.
The tram drop off ended when they built E.T. and Jurassic Park and Backdraft. Special Effects was still down there as an attraction.

The Castle theater was build for the Phantom of the Opera makeup show. They would take two audience members and turn them into Frankenstein and the Bride. There was an AA Phantom narrating the show. That show was replace for Conan when they enclosed the theater.

Pacnw

The tram drop off ended when they built E.T. and Jurassic Park and Backdraft. Special Effects was still down there as an attraction.

The Castle theater was build for the Phantom of the Opera makeup show. They would take two audience members and turn them into Frankenstein and the Bride. There was an AA Phantom narrating the show. That show was replace for Conan when they enclosed the theater.
I remember that Conan show…it was pretty spectacular for the time

Disney Analyst

Well we conquered Universal Hollywood yesterday.

Got the early access for Super Nintendo, which was worth it, simply to have access to the lower lot right away. We managed to be in the first car of the day for Mario Kart, knocked that out. Then just wandered the land, watched people play the games, met Toad, then we were in line for The Mummy (a walk on) at 8:57am I think. Knocked out Transformers and Jurassic, then went up to Wizarding World. Pretty much walked onto Forbidden Journey (twice), then had a short wait for Hippogriff.

Side note the new lockers for Forbidden Journey were very glitchy for us. Both times we used them, when we came back to scan our ticket and retrieve our stuff, it would open a new locker, not the one we had our stuff already in.

Anyway, we did all of that before 10:40 am, and then made it to the studio tour with our express from early entry before the 11am cut off.

I think our longest waits of the day were Secret Life, Minions, and Simpsons. But even then, we waited less then 35 minutes for any ride.

All in all it was a very successful day. We got all the major rides done before 11am, saw WaterWorld, chatted with some New Yorkers in the windows, and had a great day. Definitely could have left in the early evening, but I’m someone that likes to keep going… so we just rode the big stuff again.

Finally tally:

Mario Kart - 1
The Mummy - 2
Transformers - 2
Jurassic World - 2
Forbidden Journey - 4
Hippogriff - 3
Simpsons - 1
Minions - 1
Funland Spinner - 1
Pets - 1
Studio tour - 1
WaterWorld - 1

IMG_1898.jpeg
IMG_1906.jpeg
IMG_1942.jpeg
IMG_1955.jpeg
IMG_1980.jpeg
IMG_1986.jpeg

mickEblu

Universal released the overview of EU’s Dark Universe yesterday. I am very excited about this land, and hope some of it makes its way to USH in the future.

This looks very cool. I would love for a Monsters presence at USH. Only issue is the main attraction is Kuka arm from what I understand. Would that be kind of redundant in the same park as FJ especially when you consider the lack of space they have to expand? Unless of course they just start getting rid of all the soundstages it’s buy the golf course.

Rich T

This looks very cool. I would love for a Monsters presence at USH. Only issue is the main attraction is Kuka arm from what I understand. Would that be kind of redundant in the same park as FJ especially when you consider the lack of space they have to expand? Unless of course they just start getting rid of all the soundstages it’s buy the golf course.
This is just wild speculation on my part, but what if they combined The Mummy’s coaster track and scenes/AAs from Monsters Unchained into a unique USH experience?

But if they were to clone MU for California, I think the rumored absence of screen domes and different uses of the Kuka arm would make MU different enough from FJ to ensure the two could be in the same park without feeling redundant.

When Haunted Mansion opened at DL, no one minded that it had the same ride system (and the same narrator) as Adventure Thru Inner Space.

Last edited:

mickEblu

This is just wild speculation on my part, but what if they combined The Mummy’s coaster track and scenes/AAs from Monsters Unchained into a unique USH experience?

But if they were to clone MU for California, I think the rumored absence of screen domes and different uses of the Kuka arm would make MU different enough from FJ to ensure the two could be in the same park without feeling redundant.

When Haunted Mansion opened at DL, no one minded that it had the same ride system (and the same narrator) as Adventure Thru Inner Space.

That’s right, I forgot about the fact that it doesn’t have the screen domes. It might be different enough.

I’m not sure about that HM/ ATIS comparison though. Not only does USH only have like 5 rides but Haunted Mansion is much different than a science-y edutainment ride. Potter is a kuka arm dark ride with monsters ( dementors / dragons ) and Monsters is kuka arm dark ride with monsters ( Frankenstein/ Dracula etc)

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

That’s right, I forgot about the fact that it doesn’t have the screen domes. It might be different enough.

I’m not sure about that HM/ ATIS comparison though. Not only does USH only have like 5 rides but Haunted Mansion is much different than a science-y edutainment ride. Potter is a kuka arm dark ride with monsters ( dementors / dragons ) and Monsters is kuka arm dark ride with monsters ( Frankenstein/ Dracula etc)

Not to mention Forbidden Journey itself was evolved from a Kuka ride based on Van Helsing. They both even have the big castle/manor facade.

ThemeParkTraveller

That large of a footprint for one ride? All the rest of SNW is in a similar sized plot, I would have thought that ride would go in the 1.25 acre plot on the other side of SNW.

It won't use up the whole space but it will make the remaining plot too small for another land. The 1.25 acre plot is rumored to be saved for a flexspace building for special events.

Phroobar

Too bad that hotel and lake take up so much space. I just worry about having just these IPs. In twenty years does anyone really care about How to Train Your Dragon?

Rich T

Too bad that hotel and lake take up so much space. I just worry about having just these IPs. In twenty years does anyone really care about How to Train Your Dragon?
My guess: yes. The films (especially the first one) are fantastic and keep building a fan base through home viewing. And that’s with comparatively little effort put into merchandising (so far).

And, even without that: Look at Cars Land. It’s enjoyable even if one has never seen the movies. If Berk is done well and the rides are fun, the Viking theme is lively enough to be timeless.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Im not sure about How to Train Your Dragon as I've never seen it but if it were me I wouldn't be designing these parks without at least 1-2 broader themed lands where you could fit multiple IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom