All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Rich T

What makes me wonder about Epic Universe is are we confined to these five ips for the future. How would they add something that isn't one of these.
4 IP lands — Celestial Park is an original theme. If Universal was asking for my advice (and they aren’t, dang it), I’d suggest that they make the 5th land (if it’s not Tolkien) into a general theme that can accommodate a variety of properties. I’d pick Sci-Fi, with Stardust Racers forming a nice backdrop.

Or… An ocean theme, featuring the return of Jaws.

Last edited:

Rich T

Im not sure about How to Train Your Dragon…
Trust me on this one: When you get a chance, see the first How To Train Your Dragon; it’s, IMO, one of the best animated films of all time, and one of the best fantasy films of any kind, live or animated. One of the guttsiest endings, too. Some people think the 2nd one is better (it’s much darker); I disagree. The first one’s screenplay is flawless storytelling.

(I agree about the wisdom of one or two more flexible lands).

mickEblu

4 IP lands — Celestial Park is an original theme. If Universal was asking for my advice (and they aren’t, dang it), I’d suggest that they make the 5th land (If it’s not Tolkien) into a general theme that can accommodate a variety of properties. I’d pick Sci-Fi, with Stadust Racers forming a nice backdrop.

Or… An ocean theme, featuring the return of Jaws.

I have a hard time picturing what a LOTR land looks like at a theme park. On paper it sounds great but is it something they could execute well? The beauty of the LOTR franchise is the grandness of it all and the majestic topography and vistas. Areas like where the elves live is beautiful but could it be executed well? The shire seems like it would translate well into a theme park land but there isn't much going on there. It could be the starting point for an adventure I suppose. Any dark forest, dark mountain caves, dark castle may seem a little redundant with Dark universe in the same park.

Rich T

….The shire seems like it would translate well into a theme park land…It could be the starting point for an adventure…
This. Build the Shire. Everyone wants to visit the Shire. Have Bilbo’s house lead to a There-and-Back-Again Dark ride. A bit farther back, the village of Bree could be the entry to a LotR ride.

(EDIT)
I’m just now realizing the problem with building a hobbit-sized village with Hobbit-sized doors and ceiling heights…

Last edited:

mickEblu

This. Build the Shire. Everyone wants to visit the Shire. Have Bilbo’s house lead to a There-and-Back-Again Dark ride. A bit farther back, the village of Bree could be the entry to a LotR ride.

(EDIT)
I’m just now realizing the problem with building a hobbit-sized village with Hobbit-sized doors and ceiling heights…

Lol hey if Gandalf can get in Bilbos house so we can we. But seriously that is a good point. Some of the charm would be lost scaling things up for us humans. Then again, we don’t be necessarily need to enter all of the homes/ buildings/ facades . Just an attraction, restaurant and shop. Most of the charm could be retained by the facades we don’t enter and just the pleasant aesthetic of the shire.

mickEblu

(EDIT)

A bigger issue might be the hobbits. Can’t have a shire without some hobbits walking around. Would it be PC to hire some little people walking around playing Hobbits? Obviously they can’t be barefoot but I’m sure there is a work around with costuming.

Phroobar

Lol hey if Gandalf can get in Bilbos house so we can we. But seriously that is a good point. Some of the charm would be lost scaling things up for us humans. Then again, we don’t be necessarily need to enter all of the homes/ buildings/ facades . Just an attraction, restaurant and shop. Most of the charm could be retained by the facades we don’t enter and just the pleasant aesthetic of the shire.
Maybe the portal turns us into Hobbits?

Phroobar

Trust me on this one: When you get a chance, see the first How To Train Your Dragon; it’s, IMO, one of the best animated films of all time, and one of the best fantasy films of any kind, live or animated. One of the guttsiest endings, too. Some people think the 2nd one is better (it’s much darker); I disagree. The first one’s screenplay is flawless storytelling.

(I agree about the wisdom of one or two more flexible lands).
HTTYD is one of the best Dreamworks franchises they have. I guess it can be as popular as Carsland. They could do a Flight of Passage ride ripoff with Toothless.

Phroobar

That’s a possibility but I’d rather they try to stick the true scale of the shire as much as possible as opposed to writing one sentence in a blog that explains why everything is “human sized.”
The Seven Dwarfs are human size. Why can't Universal get away with it?
iu

Professortango1

Too bad that hotel and lake take up so much space. I just worry about having just these IPs. In twenty years does anyone really care about How to Train Your Dragon?
I know I don't care about it now as I found the movies to be a bit overrated. But, if the land is detailed and has fun attractions, it will be popular. Waterworld is a terrible film and a great stunt show. Secret Life of Pets is an annoying franchise, but the ride is cute. I'm not a huger Potter Head, yet I find Diagon Alley to be the best theme park land I've ever experienced.

J4546

I know I don't care about it now as I found the movies to be a bit overrated. But, if the land is detailed and has fun attractions, it will be popular. Waterworld is a terrible film and a great stunt show. Secret Life of Pets is an annoying franchise, but the ride is cute. I'm not a huger Potter Head, yet I find Diagon Alley to be the best theme park land I've ever experienced.
Waterworld is NOT a terrible film.

J4546

I dont care what critics say or the internet opinion lol, WaterWorld is an awesome movie, I enjoy watching it and thats all that matters when it comes to me liking something. I dont turn to the internet to see if my opinion on a movie is right or wrong lol because it cant be wrong, its MY opinion.

plus I challenge anyone to actually watch it and not enjoy it for what it is. mad max on water

Rich T

HTTYD is one of the best Dreamworks franchises they have. I guess it can be as popular as Carsland. They could do a Flight of Passage ride ripoff with Toothless.
I’d heard rumors that they were considering a flight simulator with a huge screen dome *underneath* you, reaching upwards around you. I was a bit disappointed to see it wasn’t part of the final reveal, but the family coaster looks great (hoping it’s like Dollywood’s Big Bear Mtn.) and I’m looking forward to seeing if I can handle a SkyFly flat ride without hurling. The Splash Battle looks fun for hot days.

J4546

I’d heard rumors that they were considering a flight simulator with a huge screen dome *underneath* you, reaching upwards around you. I was a bit disappointed to see it wasn’t part of the final reveal, but the family coaster looks great (hoping it’s like Dollywood’s Big Bear Mtn.) and I’m looking forward to seeing if I can handle a SkyFly flat ride without hurling. The Splash Battle looks fun for hot days.
HTTYD looks like EU version of adventureland and Im all for it. Mostly looking forward to Monsters land but HTTYD and HP will also be great as im sure Nintendo world will be quite a bit better than the one in USH

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom