All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
DK was rumored for USH but was scrapped. Capacity was the culprit.
It’s going to be a problem at Japan in particular but also Epic.

I believe USH didn’t have a larger land for Nintendo partially because they didn’t want to lock themselves in with only a few franchises given a lack of land. It obviously was cheaper as well but that was the approach they took. Regardless, besides the lower than expected GSTAT scores for Mario Kart (despite me personally loving it), the land as a whole is a slam dunk success basically on the level of Potter.

Expect all of the Lower Lot to receive aesthetic updates over the next few years alongside an entire new land that I can’t mention quite yet.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

It’s going to be a problem at Japan in particular but also Epic.

I believe USH didn’t have a larger land for Nintendo partially because they didn’t want to lock themselves in with only a few franchises given a lack of land. It obviously was cheaper as well but that was the approach they took. Regardless, besides the lower than expected GSTAT scores for Mario Kart (despite me personally loving it), the land as a whole is a slam dunk success basically on the level of Potter.

Expect all of the Lower Lot to receive aesthetic updates over the next few years alongside an entire new land that I can’t mention quite yet.
Over on the IU forums, posters have said SS 16-24 are earmarked for theme park expansion. I personally think that with the stuff currently of Universal's plate from the F&F coaster, a Simpsons replacement with the contract up in 2028, and getting the park in its best state possible for LA2028, any expansion in the lower lot will not be until 2030 or beyond.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Over on the IU forums, posters have said SS 16-24 are earmarked for theme park expansion. I personally think that with the stuff currently of Universal's plate from the F&F coaster, a Simpsons replacement with the contract up in 2028, and getting the park in its best state possible for LA2028, any expansion in the lower lot will not be until 2030 or beyond.
Multiple soundstages are indeed slated for park expansion with some closing for studio-use relatively soon.

Simpsons is slated to close before the contract is up. Those are true.

any expansion in the lower lot will not be until 2030 or beyond.
That's not what I heard.

mickEblu

I'd imagine that Mummy would be up for consideration soon as I doubt they want to pay to retrack it given the mid draw it is and the value of space at USH.

Yeah and it seems even more expendable now that the FnF coaster is coming. Granted Mummy is a themed indoor coaster and much more family friendly. I wonder if they would get rid of it or retheme it.

Nland316

Yeah and it seems even more expendable now that the FnF coaster is coming. Granted Mummy is a themed indoor coaster and much more family friendly. I wonder if they would get rid of it or retheme it.
I feel like the placement of the coaster really gridlocks any meaningful placemaking / expansion opportunities.

Getting rid of that coaster opens up so many new pathway configurations that aren’t limited to its current layout — especially if they demo those few soundstages behind it.

Personally, I’d love to see a lake or body of water make its way down there — no matter how unlikely it is.

AlexMBush

Multiple soundstages are indeed slated for park expansion with some closing for studio-use relatively soon.
Bringing up (ohai everyone~ I be lurking); when they announced the series of soundstages that was to be built on the former Red Sea--they've always had it planned that it would eventually allow the park to expand into the cluster of 16-24. I know they tried scooping it up during the Pandemic early; but I don't believe it worked out then.

Maybe with the Barham stages complete, and the number of soundstages lost would put them back to where they'd be without Barham--gives USH the opportunity to scoop up the land around the cluster?

Phroobar

Well they ever remove SS-15 behind Transformers? That is where they've been putting mazes lately. I believe it is also the old special effects show building back in the 80s where the tram would dump you off for the show.

AlexMBush

Well they ever remove SS-15 behind Transformers? That is where they've been putting mazes lately. I believe it is also the old special effects show building back in the 80s where the tram would dump you off for the show.
Yup--since 2018 they've been using 15 for HHN as a primary venue typical for what they'd consider a "Headliner" (elephant doors actually just opened up last week I think as they're about to gear up for work in there again).

When I've looked into it; I believed the Park scooped that up due to it's close proximity to Transformers, as there is now proper gating that separates James Stewart Avenue and the area around SS15. Whether or not that'd mean they are looking at the next step of removing it; that I doubt due to how prominent they use it for HHN (and I believe for certain buyouts).

Phroobar

Yup--since 2018 they've been using 15 for HHN as a primary venue typical for what they'd consider a "Headliner" (elephant doors actually just opened up last week I think as they're about to gear up for work in there again).

When I've looked into it; I believed the Park scooped that up due to it's close proximity to Transformers, as there is now proper gating that separates James Stewart Avenue and the area around SS15. Whether or not that'd mean they are looking at the next step of removing it; that I doubt due to how prominent they use it for HHN (and I believe for certain buyouts).
It's very weird standing in front of it looking around and realizing you've been here before your youth. We would go in and work our way from one set demonstration to another.

mickEblu

Speaking of Transformers, I remember all the stuff that used to be there. Backdraft, the Special Effects show and at one point I even remember a huge set for Scream (or Scream 2) and Small Soldiers you could walk through. A necessary evil I suppose to draw guests at a park where land is at a premium but they’ve definitely hacked away at the soul of the park. Animal Actors- gone. Special Effects Stage/ Conan on the upper lot- gone too. It’s crazy to think that the only thing left from 1995 and earlier is the Studio Tour which also looks very different.

mickEblu

It's very weird standing in front of it looking around and realizing you've been here before your youth. We would go in and work our way from one set demonstration to another.

That’s the one that would have 3 parts right with one where they chose someone to play Doc from the audience to redo the famous scene at the clock tower? But I don’t remember the tram dropping you off there. We would just walk in from the lower lot.

Phroobar

That’s the one that would have 3 parts right with one where they chose someone to play Doc from the audience to redo the famous scene at the clock tower? But I don’t remember the tram dropping you off there. We would just walk in from the lower lot.
Back in the 70s and 80s, the tram was a two hour plus ride. When you entered the park, they assigned a time for the tram. You then watched the stunt show and animal actors shows while you waited.

The tram took you through Battle of Galactica (where Simpsons building supports are now) and burning house (where the fire station is now). Then you got off on the lower lot for the Special Effects show. It had four parts. You moved from demonstration to demonstration. You got back on the tram for the New York city area and collapsing bridge.

Then they dropped you off at prop plaza for restrooms and snacks. Basically holding you hostage for a half hour. Prop Plaza is right above the Jurassic Park dino attack part of the tram. They had large props you can play on and some moving scenery rides. You could lift a van too.

Then you got back on the tram to finish out the tour. Universal Studios didn't have any real rides back then. Just the tram and three or four shows.

mickEblu

Back in the 70s and 80s, the tram was a two hour plus ride. When you entered the park, they assigned a time for the tram. You then watched the stunt show and animal actors shows while you waited.

The tram took you through Battle of Galactica (where Simpsons building supports are now) and burning house (where the fire station is now). Then you got off on the lower lot for the Special Effects show. It had four parts. You moved from demonstration to demonstration. You got back on the tram for the New York city area and collapsing bridge.

Then they dropped you off at prop plaza for restrooms and snacks. Basically holding you hostage for a half hour. Prop Plaza is right above the Jurassic Park dino attack part of the tram. They had large props you can play on and some moving scenery rides. You could lift a van too.

Then you got back on the tram to finish out the tour. Universal Studios didn't have any real rides back then. Just the tram and three or four shows.

Wow that’s interesting. That must have all ended in the early to mid 80s? Don’t remember any of that from my trips in the late 80s. Maybe I forgot. I was pretty young.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom