All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Rich T

The Seven Dwarfs are human size. Why can't Universal get away with it?
iu
Picturing Hobbit costumes like this. Giant Chibi versions of Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, etc. in costume. Nightmare fuel! šŸ˜„

Last edited:

Phroobar

HTTYD looks like EU version of adventureland and Im all for it. Mostly looking forward to Monsters land but HTTYD and HP will also be great as im sure Nintendo world will be quite a bit better than the one in USH
All around great stuff. I'm considering taking the boy for a week to Florida just for Universal stuff. He's never been to Disney World but says he will survive without it. We might have to sneak in Epcot for a day.

Isn't that the opposite of what people do when they go to theme parks in Florida?

Rich T

All around great stuff. I'm considering taking the boy for a week to Florida just for Universal stuff. He's never been to Disney World but says he will survive without it. We might have to sneak in Epcot for a day.

Isn't that the opposite of what people do when they go to theme parks in Florida?
I was here in Florida using my UO pass for nearly a year before setting foot in WDW. Cosmic Rewind convinced me to buy the cheap local Pixie Dust Pass.

I still do UO 90% the time, though. When you grow up with DL, itā€™s easy to find the faults with the WDW parks. (#1: Not enough to do per park to handle the crowds). But, yeah, out of the four WDW parks, definitely pick Epcot. šŸ˜ƒ

J4546

last time I went to FL (2 years ago) me and the gf went to USF, IoA, Volcano Bay and Epcot. We had never been to the Universal florida parks before so we went for a mostly Universal vacation. Also this was a few months after GotG/Rat opened at Epcot so we went there for a day as well. All in all, prob wont go back to USF cause it was meh imo, IoA was great and def will be back at some point and Volcano Bay was a hit. Loved Volcano bay will def be back when we go to Fl again. Also Epcot was great, GotG was great, Rat was fun (my gf loved it) SPace 220 was awesome and we had a good time.

Next time we will prob do mostly Disney, Will prob go back to epcot again next visit cause JoW, Communicore Plaza and Central core are all open now and I wanna see those as well as ride GotG and others stuff again. MK cause Tron is new (to me) and AK because its my fave park in FL. SO yeah Epcot, AK, MK and Volcano Bay will prob be our next vacation.

Professortango1

I dont care what critics say or the internet opinion lol, WaterWorld is an awesome movie, I enjoy watching it and thats all that matters when it comes to me liking something. I dont turn to the internet to see if my opinion on a movie is right or wrong lol because it cant be wrong, its MY opinion.

plus I challenge anyone to actually watch it and not enjoy it for what it is. mad max on water
You are welcome to like it. Its just not regarded as a good movie. I love many movies which are not good but I find something special about it that resonates with me. I was drawn to the A24 movie Lamb, yet I cannot recommend that movie since I know my interest in it is personal and the movie itself will not entertain most people.

Phroobar

last time I went to FL (2 years ago) me and the gf went to USF, IoA, Volcano Bay and Epcot. We had never been to the Universal florida parks before so we went for a mostly Universal vacation. Also this was a few months after GotG/Rat opened at Epcot so we went there for a day as well. All in all, prob wont go back to USF cause it was meh imo, IoA was great and def will be back at some point and Volcano Bay was a hit. Loved Volcano bay will def be back when we go to Fl again. Also Epcot was great, GotG was great, Rat was fun (my gf loved it) SPace 220 was awesome and we had a good time.

Next time we will prob do mostly Disney, Will prob go back to epcot again next visit cause JoW, Communicore Plaza and Central core are all open now and I wanna see those as well as ride GotG and others stuff again. MK cause Tron is new (to me) and AK because its my fave park in FL. SO yeah Epcot, AK, MK and Volcano Bay will prob be our next vacation.
I can see that. USF does feel rather meh since we already have USH here. Inferior versions of tram experiences. I think we would go mostly for Gringotts and the Hogwarts Express over to IOA. I would be interesting to compare Mummy coasters and ride E.T. a dozen times. Still it is kind of a half day park.

Last edited:

Phroobar

You are welcome to like it. Its just not regarded as a good movie. I love many movies which are not good but I find something special about it that resonates with me. I was drawn to the A24 movie Lamb, yet I cannot recommend that movie since I know my interest in it is personal and the movie itself will not entertain most people.
I think they bit off more than they could chew with Water World and doing Mad Max in the middle of the ocean. It was mismanaged. They could have done most of it in Universal's Fall Lake with green screen on a smaller budget. They would have been spared the bad press. They could have done better stunts and a little CG would have helped. It's not a good movie but it could have been something really special.

Professortango1

I can see that. USF does feel rather meh since we already have USH here. Inferior versions of tram experiences. I think we would go mostly for Gringotts and the Hogwarts Express over to IOA. I would be interesting to compare Mummy coasters and ride E.T. a dozen times. Still it is kind of a half day park.
Mummy in Orlando is incredible. One of my faves. And I also loved MIB. It is the best shooter attraction I have been on, which is crazy considering how old it is and how newer shooters miss the mark.

I consider ALL of the parks in Florida half day parks at best. When you are used to the DLR with two parks easy to navigate between like one giant park and packed with attractions, everything else feels spread thin. Epcot is the only park where I feel I need a full day, and that's just because of how giant it is.

I can typically do USO and IOA in one day as I'm only looking at Mummy, MIB, ET, FX Show, Diagon/Gringotts, Hagrid's, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, Velocicoaster, and Pop-Eye. Kong and F&F are auto skips since they are just the studio tour segments with a cool queue.

I feel like the Florida parks need some more simple darkrides. Cat in the Hat is a great idea but is in a sad state.

mickEblu

Picturing Hobbit costumes like this. Giant Chibi versions of Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, etc. in costume. Nightmare fuel! šŸ˜„

Lol. Speaking of.. where the heck are these dwarves hiding? I feel like they were always out when I was a kid. Why just always the usual suspects like Peter Pan, Hook, Mad Hatter, Gepetto, Pinocchio etc?

Touchdown

Donā€™t skip Kong, the animatronic at the end is worth it. It also has two additional show scenes prior to the studio tour video. F&F is trash though.

Professortango1

Donā€™t skip Kong, the animatronic at the end is worth it. It also has two additional show scenes prior to the studio tour video. F&F is trash though.
I did Kong in Orlando and have no need to do it again. The queue is amazing as is the facade, but it is all downhill from there. The animatronic is great looking, but presented in such a lackluster way. We have a "thrilling" conclusion of the video, keep driving and simply drive in front of him. He looks around and growls a little and we drive on. At least with the previous Kong on the tour he would be roaring at us and shaking the bridge.

We got to experience it without too much of a wait and it still felt lame. Such a missed opportunity, especially given the queue, facade, and Animatronic.

I don't see myself ever riding it again considering the tour version is essentially the same experience but part of a full attraction rather than being a stand alone womp womp.

Rich T

ā€¦Cat in the Hat is a great idea but is in a sad state.
I rode this a couple of weeks ago and everything seemed to be in good shape and working again. You can still tell where the spinning was removed (some plussing here would be nice) but overall all the little details seemed to be active again.

The ā€œWe cannot clean it up, there is no way at allā€ room, with everything working, suddenly became a favorite dark ride scene for me.

Agree about a need for more dark rides. Secret Life of Pets at the Studio park, please.

PiratesMansion

Is Rip Ride Rocket any good?
It's an extremely polarizing ride. Some people really love it; others hate it (I'm in the latter group).

Kong is plussed in ways that I think are interesting, but the meat of the ride is the same. Whether or not you will feel it's sufficiently plussed depends on how much you appreciate what has been added before or after the part you could do in Hollywood.

Rich T

ā€¦Kong is plussed in ways that I think are interesting, but the meat of the ride is the same. Whether or not you will feel it's sufficiently plussed depends on how much you appreciate what has been added before or after the part you could do in Hollywood.
Just a reminder that recently Kong at IoA had the 3D permanently removed and the outdoor section has been closed for a long time. With 3D and the outdoor portion, I thought it worked well enough and was worth a short wait in line. Nowā€¦

Still has a great, creepy queue and the impressive AA, but donā€™t wait more than 1/2 hour for it.

(Also, the different AA truck driver/narrators add an interesting element to the ride that I donā€™t think has been done anywhere else. Another reason to check it out if you enjoy those kinds of details.)

Last edited:

Professortango1

Just a reminder that recently Kong at IoA had the 3D permanently removed and the outdoor section has been closed for a long time. With 3D and the outdoor portion, I thought it worked well enough and was worth a short wait in line. Nowā€¦

Still has a great, creepy queue and the impressive AA, but donā€™t wait more than 1/2 hour for it.

(Also, the different AA truck driver/narrators add an interesting element to the ride that I donā€™t think has been done anywhere else. Another reason to check it out if you enjoy those kinds of details.)
How did they take out the outdoor portion? I thought the cars had to circle around to enter the show building?

Rich T

How did they take out the outdoor portion? I thought the cars had to circle around to enter the show building?
Thereā€™s a sort of ā€œB Modeā€ shortcut that takes the trucks directly from the load area to the first indoor scene without ever going outdoors. I would love to know what the heck is the deal there, and what the long-term plans for that rideā€™s space are.

Professortango1

Thereā€™s a sort of ā€œB Modeā€ shortcut that takes the trucks directly from the load area to the first indoor scene without ever going outdoors. I would love to know what the heck is the deal there, and what the long-term plans for that rideā€™s space are.
Wow. The outdoor portion was the most impressive aspect for me. Well, the silver lining is that the absence of this helps reduce the build up to a lackluster experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom