All things Universal Studios Hollywood

DrAlice

I'm super excited for SO MANY THINGS in EU (Especially that DK coaster!). However, like @Rich T, I'm concerned about how many of the new rides will make me puke.

Spinning coaster? Probably not good.
Kuka-arm + Screens? Most likely will end my day.
Dueling super-fast coaster? Might be ok. I'm not sure if this old lady can still do a 60+mph coaster anymore, but man, does it look cool.

As a huge HP nerd, I have been disappointed that there is no way I'd be able to ride FJ at Universal Hollywood, so I've never visited. I'm hoping MoM is less puke-inducing.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Ministry of Magic—it if works—will be the best ride in the world and it won't even be remotely close. It’s Rise with actual thrill but truly on another level of scale and scope with a tremendous amount of AAs as well.

I remember talks about Rise potentially having blasters shoot beams through the air. That didn’t fully happen, but to say magic will be used on physical sets in MoM is an understatement.

I don't think people understand truly how impressive it will be. It’ll easily have the best queue in the world as well. This is the Rise swatter we’ve all wanted.
The original plans for Ministry of Magic actually involved using a trackless ride system. But Universal scrapped that after they got cold feet on the tech after running into problems getting Kong up and running. However, the pivot to the new ride system (an evolved SCOOP like the one on Spiderman) sounds like it was for the better.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
The original plans for Ministry of Magic actually involved using a trackless ride system. But Universal scrapped that after they got cold feet on the tech after running into problems getting Kong up and running. However, the pivot to the new ride system (an evolved SCOOP like the one on Spiderman) sounds like it was for the better.
It’s so much better than SCOOP it’s not even close.

Those concepts were scrapped and haven’t been the plans in over half a decade, when it evolved into Rise territory AFAIK.

When Ministry morphed into said planned response to Rise, which I think goes as back far as 2017/8, it doubled its budget.

An evolved SCOOP is honestly disingenuous to how impressive the ride system is, but I guess that is what it is on paper.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

I'm super excited for SO MANY THINGS in EU (Especially that DK coaster!). However, like @Rich T, I'm concerned about how many of the new rides will make me puke.

Spinning coaster? Probably not good.
Kuka-arm + Screens? Most likely will end my day.
Dueling super-fast coaster? Might be ok. I'm not sure if this old lady can still do a 60+mph coaster anymore, but man, does it look cool.

As a huge HP nerd, I have been disappointed that there is no way I'd be able to ride FJ at Universal Hollywood, so I've never visited. I'm hoping MoM is less puke-inducing.
I don’t think motion sickness with Monsters will be anywhere near as nausea inducing as Forbidden Journey.

Any screen-based/projected media should be supplemental in nature rather than “the show” as with FJ.

To be honest, Donkey Kong regardless of its quality is going to be such an operations disaster I don’t really know what’s the solution.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

It’s so much better than SCOOP it’s not even close.

Those concepts were scrapped and haven’t been the plans in over half a decade, when it evolved into Rise territory.

When Ministry morphed into said planned response to Rise, which I think goes as back far as 2017/8, it doubled its budget.

An evolved SCOOP is honestly disingenuous to how impressive the ride system is, but I guess that is what it is on paper.
I am so looking forward to the land reveal whenever Universal decides to drop it.

As for Ministry originally being trackless, was that the original plan for the ride system when they decided to go up against Rise? I personally think it's Universal's loss for not wanting to do trackless again after they had one bad experience with Kong.

But moving away from trackless to the current ride system sounds like it worked out for the better in this case

Henry Mystic

I am so looking forward to the land reveal whenever Universal decides to drop it.

As for Ministry originally being trackless, was that the original plan for the ride system when they decided to go up against Rise? I personally think it's Universal's loss for not wanting to do trackless again after they had one bad experience with Kong.

But moving away from trackless to the current ride system sounds like it worked out for the better in this case
It was a limiting factor. They needed a ride system that could do more.

Henry Mystic

Universal has been also trying their hands on kid friendly rides recently like Pets. I would like to see them try again at trackless. Imagine something like pets albeit on a larger scale on par with MMRR.
Kid friendly but with the most limiting restraint system they could concoct (due to executive overreach). Thankfully they’ve learned their lesson.

Touchdown

One other bit of confirmation off the merch (not that it wasn’t heavily rumored) is that the Ministry ride will definitely involve time turners, it’s heavily featured on the shirt.

IMG_5263.jpeg

Rich T

…To be honest, Donkey Kong regardless of its quality is going to be such an operations disaster I don’t really know what’s the solution.
This is the one that puzzles me most: I mean, we see Hagrid’s over there at IoA rapidly dispatching train after train and still building up a 90-120 minute wait most of the day… And now here comes Mine Cart Madness with its 4-passenger single vehicles… um…..

It looks amazing and super-fun. Everyone’s going to want to try this. What’s the plan, guys?!?

Henry Mystic

This is the one that puzzles me most: I mean, we see Hagrid’s over there at IoA rapidly dispatching train after train and still building up a 90-120 minute wait most of the day… And now here comes Mine Cart Madness with its 4-passenger single vehicles… um…..

It looks amazing and super-fun. Everyone’s going to want to try this. What’s the plan, guys?!?
They don’t have one. It’s going to be a problem and they know it.

Rich T

Trackless would be a great fit for the Luigi's Mansion dark ride rumored for Phase 2 of Epic Universe.
I’d love a Luigi’s Mansion ride, but I’d actually like to see it done as a traditional busbar tracked dark ride with a more intimate, closed-in, in-your face experience full of jump scares, sharp turns, and most-importantly—“crashing” through doors! 😃

But trackless would be fine if they want to go with a more floaty, scooty, start-and-stop approach… also if it’s an interactive ride.

Either way, the most important thing for me would be practical sets and great art/sound design.

DrAlice

Wait... what?!?!?! I hadn't heard that. To quote my tween: BRUH.

This adds to my general anxiety about overall park operations. Hopefully Universal has more plans on that front that we aren't hearing about.

Rich Brownn

I don’t think motion sickness with Monsters will be anywhere near as nausea inducing as Forbidden Journey.

Any screen-based/projected media should be supplemental in nature rather than “the show” as with FJ.

To be honest, Donkey Kong regardless of its quality is going to be such an operations disaster I don’t really know what’s the solution.
According to rumors (very reliable ones) Monsters Unchained will have few, if any, screens. Its all practical

Henry Mystic

According to rumors (very reliable ones) Monsters Unchained will have few, if any, screens. Its all practical
That’s my understanding as well, but there will be a substantial amount of projection mapping on stationary and moving figures and a different approach to some of the AAs than we’re used to. This ride is going to be an erratic, sensory overload.

I don’t know for certain if there won’t be any screens at all, but what I do know is that they will never be the emphasis; sort of similar to Rise, but there will absolutely be projected media that will only add to the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom