All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Professortango1

What I'd really do though is save your stomach and after the park closes go get yourself some Hawaiian BBQ right down the street at my favorite Hawaiian spot Ohana. Super clean spot ( a little on the pricey side) but really tasty and you get a decent amount. BBQ ribs plate or my favorite the dark meat (white meat is good too) BBQ chicken plate for me. They have my favorite Mac Salad and I get a nice big side of it in addition to the little side that comes with the plate. And the steamed rice its served with is almost sushi quality. Nice little salad with a great dressing also comes with it. They probably have best Teriyaki sauce I've ever had anywhere. I think it's made in house. Not that thick syrupy stuff. My wife and I like it more than most of the Hawaiian plate lunch food we had in Maui or Kauai.
Ohana BBQ? Like the chain quick service in strip malls between T-Mobile and Donuts?

D.Silentu

Has anyone been to The Front Yard on 4222 Vineland Ave, North Hollywood? It looks interesting.
I had a nice dinner there once. The highlights were the atmosphere and their cheese biscuit appetizer. A caveat to the aforementioned former compliment: it is close to the street, which can be occasionally noisy.

Nirya

Honestly if you take the five minute drive either up Lankershim to NoHo Arts District or west along Ventura Boulevard into Studio City, you'll find so much better food than Universal has to offer.

NoHo has a bunch of smaller places, such as:
- Vui Ve (they just opened, they do pho and had a perfect bone broth)
- EAT (one of the better brunch spots in the area IMO)
- Pitfire (it's a local chain but open really late and good pizzas)
- A ton of good bars

And Studio City has:
- Bacari (again, another local chain but the tapas are good and you can't beat their drink deal)
- Black Market Liquor Bar (recent changed to a dinner place, but another excellent tapas place)
- Laurel Tavern (one of my favorite bars)
- McConnells Ice Cream (it's better than Salt and Straw, fight me)

Considering you can be done with Universal Hollywood fairly quickly, there's no reason to do anything other than snack while you're there and then go get a proper meal when you're done.

mickEblu

Honestly if you take the five minute drive either up Lankershim to NoHo Arts District or west along Ventura Boulevard into Studio City, you'll find so much better food than Universal has to offer.

NoHo has a bunch of smaller places, such as:
- Vui Ve (they just opened, they do pho and had a perfect bone broth)
- EAT (one of the better brunch spots in the area IMO)
- Pitfire (it's a local chain but open really late and good pizzas)
- A ton of good bars

And Studio City has:
- Bacari (again, another local chain but the tapas are good and you can't beat their drink deal)
- Black Market Liquor Bar (recent changed to a dinner place, but another excellent tapas place)
- Laurel Tavern (one of my favorite bars)
- McConnells Ice Cream (it's better than Salt and Straw, fight me)

Considering you can be done with Universal Hollywood fairly quickly, there's no reason to do anything other than snack while you're there and then go get a proper meal when you're done.

Laurel Tavern has a great burger! Or at least they did the last time I went there years ago. Great bacon Brussels sprouts too.

McConnells is much better than Salt n Straw. My favorite is the sea salt cream and cookies (soft chocolate chip cookies y’all not Oreos).

Have you ever had one of those Ficelli sandwiches at Joan’s on Third right down the street? Delicious ham and cheese baguettes. So simple but all the ingredients are very high quality. Thinly sliced French style ham, fromage di affinois (just looked it up lol) a Brie like cheese on a small fresh baguette.

Nirya

Laurel Tavern has a great burger! Or at least they did the last time I went there years ago. Great bacon Brussels sprouts too.

McConnells is much better than Salt n Straw. My favorite is the sea salt cream and cookies (soft chocolate chip cookies y’all not Oreos).

Have you ever had one of those Ficelli sandwiches at Joan’s on Third right down the street? Delicious ham and cheese baguettes. So simple but all the ingredients are very high quality. Thinly sliced French style ham, fromage di affinois (just looked it up lol) a Brie like cheese on a small fresh baguette.
I'm gonna have to try it, especially since I'm on break now.

Touchdown

I'll second this. I ordered a Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza there that was delicious. Definitely better than my previous experiences at Antojito's and Toothsome's.
Wow that’s the exact opposite of the east coast. Vivo is an ok Italian restaurant that is overshadowed by Mama Della’s at Portifino. Meanwhile Toothsomes is one of the best casual choices.

PiratesMansion

Wow that’s the exact opposite of the east coast. Vivo is an ok Italian restaurant that is overshadowed by Mama Della’s at Portifino. Meanwhile Toothsomes is one of the best casual choices.
Eh, I've tried Toothsome's on both coasts and was underwhelmed both times. A steampunk chocolate and dessert restaurant should be right up my alley, but it just didn't thrill me in either location. The only thing that really worked for me at all was the appetizer chocolate bread.

Can't speak for Vivo in Orlando and haven't made it to any of the UOR hotels, unfortunately.

Professortango1

Toothsome has decent food. Not great, but not terrible. The issue is the pricing and the underwhelming restaurant area. The exterior and lobby looks exciting, then the dining area is some TV screens on walls showing a CGI loop and very little else to look at other than some railing and ceiling fans.

Food is a little better than Rain Forest Cafe, but the ambiance isn't as fun or campy.

Parteecia

Are you asking for your overall trip or specifically while you're in the park and need something to keep you going without leaving?

I haven't been for about a year but our go-to was 3 Broomsticks. They've dumbed down the menu over time but it's still the most edible in-park. Jurassic was okaaay, as was a Simpsons burger. There's always ice cream.

Phroobar

The prepackaged salad in the french quarter was acceptable. Knott's prepackaged salad is better though.

Regular theme park food is typically not very good to begin with. Even Disneyland regular food isn't that great. You eat it to keep your blood sugar high enough for all the walking and standing in line.

Parteecia

The prepackaged salad in the french quarter was acceptable. Knott's prepackaged salad is better though.

Regular theme park food is typically not very good to begin with. Even Disneyland regular food isn't that great. You eat it to keep your blood sugar high enough for all the walking and standing in line.
Yeah, the grab and goes at the French bistro were also good enough. Palace Cafe has the same menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom