All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Disney Analyst

Are you asking for your overall trip or specifically while you're in the park and need something to keep you going without leaving?

I haven't been for about a year but our go-to was 3 Broomsticks. They've dumbed down the menu over time but it's still the most edible in-park. Jurassic was okaaay, as was a Simpsons burger. There's always ice cream.

Specifically for when we are in the park. Wasn’t sure if there was a menu item or place people generally thought was worth having, as we will be trying to do lunch and dinner without leaving…

Three broomsticks is definitely one spot we will have lunch or dinner at.

I’ve already scouted some other places nearby (In N Out obviously, and potentially Roadside Taco).

Rich T

Californian-in-Florida Notes:

The Epic Universe Preview Center at UOR Citywalk officially opened to the GP today. Spent an hour there royally geeking out.
IMG_9605.jpeg

IMG_9604.jpeg
IMG_9602.jpeg
IMG_9606.jpeg
IMG_9601.jpeg
IMG_9607.jpeg

Lots of merch for all 4 IP lands and the park In general. Some photo op portal murals and lots of helpful team members. Great music score playing—A very nice presentation overall. Didn’t use the AR app today; the model was great on its own. 😃

Rich T

So any word on the Harry Potter land at Epic? What's with the guy on the rope in the graveyard?
The team members are great, but they’re not allowed to discuss anything specific about the attractions in Ministry of Magic or Dark Universe until Universal releases the promo videos for those lands (Should be soon, I hope!) The buzz so far is that the Ministry ride is going deliver big thrills.

One thing (of many) that just about everyone is wowed by on the model is the sheer size of the show buildings for the Ministry ride and the Dark Universe monsters ride; these attractions are going to be massive.
IMG_9611.jpeg

IMG_9609.jpeg

Not to mention Mariokart…
IMG_9612.jpeg

As for what’s going on with the rope in Dark
Universe… I… don’t know! 😃 Maybe they’re supposed to be wires as part of Frankenstein’s experiments?
(Edit) Naw… they definitely look like ropes. I have no clue. 😄 We should be finding out more soon!

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
The team members are great, but they’re not allowed to discuss anything specific about the attractions in Ministry of Magic or Dark Universe until Universal releases the promo videos for those lands (Should be soon, I hope!) The buzz so far is that the Ministry ride is going deliver big thrills.

One thing (of many) that just about everyone is wowed by on the model is the sheer size of the show buildings for the Ministry ride and the Dark Universe monsters ride; these attractions are going to be massive.
View attachment 791615

View attachment 791616
Not to mention Mariokart…
View attachment 791617
As for what’s going on with the rope in Dark
Universe… I… don’t know! 😃 Maybe they’re supposed to be wires as part of Frankenstein’s experiments?
(Edit) Naw… they definitely look like ropes. I have no clue. 😄 We should be finding out more soon!
Ministry of Magic—it if works—will be the best ride in the world and it won't even be remotely close. It’s Rise with actual thrill but truly on another level of scale and scope with a tremendous amount of AAs as well.

I remember talks about Rise potentially having blasters shoot beams through the air. That didn’t fully happen, but to say magic will be used on physical sets in MoM is an understatement.

I don't think people understand truly how impressive it will be. It’ll easily have the best queue in the world as well. This is the Rise swatter we’ve all wanted.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

I'll also add, going to Europa-Park recently has gotten me a lot more excited for SR & the Wolfman coaster, given that Mack rides is behind them. Wolfman will be a much better coaster than SDMT, though with sparser theming (but a very well executed show scene in the barn), and SR should provide that true “thrill” with its outstanding layout that you get on VelociCoaster, but with less theming (but it'll still be pretty).

180º

I remember talks about Rise potentially having blasters shoot beams through the air. That didn’t happen, but to say magic will be used on physical sets in MoM is an understatement.
This does happen in Rise, in the hall with the stormtroopers and again in the AT-AT hangar. It’s an impressive effect but it’s not implemented thoroughly; for example, Finn’s blaster doesn’t get these.

mickEblu

Ministry of Magic—it if works—will be the best ride in the world and it won't even be remotely close. It’s Rise with actual thrill but truly on another level of scale and scope with a tremendous amount of AAs as well.

I remember talks about Rise potentially having blasters shoot beams through the air. That didn’t happen, but to say magic will be used on physical sets in MoM is an understatement.

I don't think people understand truly how impressive it will be. It’ll easily have the best queue in the world as well. This is the Rise swatter we’ve all wanted.

Sounds great. They Key word is “If” though. I’ve been disappointed the last few years with execution on concepts that I thought had so much potential. I’m looking at you MMRR and Mario Kart. Among others.

Henry Mystic

Sounds great. They Key word is “If” though. I’ve been disappointed the last few years with execution on concepts that I thought had so much potential. I’m looking at you MMRR and Mario Kart. Among others.
I thoroughly enjoy Mario Kart, and find Mickey to be fun for what it is, but there’s no remote comparison.

Ministry is going to blow people’s minds. I don’t think you can have too high expectations for it, honestly.

I even think that the ride experience itself is significantly more impressive than Shanghai Pirates.

ThemeParkTraveller

I had a feeling it would blow the other HP attractions out of the water but to have easily the best queue as well? Considering how incredible Forbidden Journey and Gringott's queues already are, that's saying something.

If Ministry of Magic is the #1 ride, what are your thoughts on the Dark Universe Kuka ride?

mickEblu

So does Disney have any interest in swinging for the fences or perhaps building a Star Wars coaster that can go toe to toe with Hagrid's or are they just interested in meh trackless rides and crappy rethemes? Universal has done a much better job implementing Potter in their parks than Disney has with Star Wars and Marvel. Avengers Campus is a joke and GE was duplicated. With Potter you have three distinct lands in three different parks and now it sounds like potentially the undisputed best ride in the world. I will say I think the Potter IP lends itself to theme parks seamlessly. Star Wars and Marvel not as seamless but by the looks it neither is the new land at Epic Universe. Meaning it doesn't fit neatly into the parts of the Potter Universe that we think is "made for theme parks" but it looks like they re overcoming that by thinking big and really going for it.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

I had a feeling it would blow the other HP attractions out of the water but to have easily the best queue as well? Considering how incredible Forbidden Journey and Gringott's queues already are, that's saying something.

If Ministry of Magic is the #1 ride, what are your thoughts on the Dark Universe Kuka ride?
Outstanding as well, but I think its execution is a lot more variable and thus, the final product is really hard to know for sure. Its budget is far less than Ministry so I don’t think it’s really fair to compare them 1:1.

But in the same vein I prefer Indiana Jones Adventure to Rise of the Resistance despite the latter being more impressive, I could see the same sort of scenario happening with some people.

It’ll be sensory overload at the very least. It also shouldn’t have as much movement as Forbidden Journey, and given the lack of screen domes, motion sickness shouldn’t be as much of a problem which will be appreciated by a lot of people.

Instead, it emphasizes massive built environments with each rider’s much larger FOV with extensive sets, moving props, projection mapping, and AA encounters with the various Universal Monsters. And also like I said before, and this applies to Monsters too, don’t worry about screens at Epic; it won’t be an issue at all.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom