Alien Swirling Saucers rider experience and comments

Kamikaze

The "anchor" attraction of the brand-new land is a 10-year old D-ticket.

Classic WDW shenanigans.

Its not.

If they added a new attraction to Sunset Boulevard, would ToT still be considered the big attraction of that land or not? The answer is yes, it would.

If in a few years, they add a smaller third attraction to SW:GE like was originally planned, will Battle Escape be the main attraction or not? Again, yes.

Is Space Mountain still going to be the 'anchor' of Tomorrowland even after Tron opens? Still yes.

Only difference here is that they are creating the new land with TSM as the base.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

It doesn’t deflate it...but it doesn’t enhance it either...50% of the people in that line have done it...perhaps dozens of times.

It’s not “reborn” at midnight tonight or last night. That’s the classic giving credit where credit isn’t due.
The fact that it wasn't "reborn" when both DCA and DHS are using it as a significant anchor to "new" areas is a mistake. How could they have not swapped out at least two games on Toy Story Mania for both coasts? "What's the least we could do here? Alright, now take it down two notches from that."

Kamikaze

The fact that it wasn't "reborn" when both DCA and DHS are using it as a significant anchor to "new" areas is a mistake. How could they have not swapped out at least two games on Toy Story Mania for both coasts? "What's the least we could do here? Alright, now take it down two notches from that."

Now, that I can agree with, that they should be changing out some of the games every once in a while. There is very little cost to doing that. They should have holiday themed games as well as make special edition versions for openings like this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
who said every ride has to be innovative? FOP is very innovative. Star Wars looks to be very innovative.

When Disney does do something different, like Rivers of Light, people ***** and moan.

When they take the safe route with essentially a kid’s ride, the whining begins.

Personally, I look at the massive investment going into WDW and I am very excited for the future. We have lived close by since 94 and this is the most construction that has ever been done at one time. And that includes building AK.

Actually FOP - which is an excellent simulator ride - isn’t that innovative.

It takes some established technologies and adds twists and integration that makes a good ride. It’s not really soarin...it’s actually more akin to back to the future or Simpson’s at universal and adds the hydraulic platforms and effects to it.

Very well done...but not trend setting.

Innovation has actually been somewhat down across the board...definitely in Orlando. The golden age of innnovation was probably 1985-2000...when Disney had the classic imagineering mentality (if we can dream it...you know the rest), universal had come on the scene, AB parks were expanding and well run, and the regional parks were letting B&M, Vekoma, Intamin, etc outdeul each other...

Considering the advance in computer control systems, VR, interfaces, Computer aided construction and Design...we SHOULD be getting more than we are...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I always hate jumping into the "opinion" part of these discussions. However, I feel that whatever you think about the rides and the land, they bring two needed things to the park.
One: A child ride. It's not Dumbo, but it fits that purpose.
Two: The land brings much needed greenery to the park. The land has more plant life than the entire rest of the park put together!

The problem is if it bring significantly more foot traffic...it’s gonna create more mess than it handles.

Kamikaze

The problem is if it bring significantly more foot traffic...it’s gonna create more mess than it handles.

Foot traffic at DHS is going to be a problem for a very long time. But its not the fault of TSL.

Innovation has actually been somewhat down across the board...definitely in Orlando. The golden age of innnovation was probably 1985-2000...when Disney had the classic imagineering mentality (if we can dream it...you know the rest), universal had come on the scene, AB parks were expanding and well run, and the regional parks were letting B&M, Vekoma, Intamin, etc outdeul each other...

I will always maintain that WDW's ToT was the peak of imagineering. Maybe SW:GE will finally top it. Nothing has thus far.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Foot traffic at DHS is going to be a problem for a very long time. But its not the fault of TSL.

No...but it could help “make that burger a double”

This was built with budget more than capacity in mind...that has been a mistake 100% of the time in the history of Disney Parks

Kamikaze

No...but it could help “make that burger a double”

This was built with budget more than capacity in mind...that has been a mistake 100% of the time in the history of Disney Parks

Capacity is capacity, regardless of where it comes from. SW:GE is going to bring phased closings to DHS, so those people who are in the park but can't get into SW:GE will need something to do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Capacity is capacity, regardless of where it comes from. SW:GE is going to bring phased closings to DHS, so those people who are in the park but can't get into SW:GE will need something to do.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing...

They are opening two underbuilt lands based on overhyped IP...

It’s obvious whoever approved those plans has never actually been in MGM.

The mickey ride is really a cry for help once some one level headed looked at it.

But they haven’t increase the services around the park Enough either...which they did make effort to do in Dak.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait are people disappointed because it is exactly what they said it would be a clone of matter? We have known for over a year exactly what we are getting a clone B ticket flat ride. There is nothing wrong with the ride itself, its fine, its a simple flat ride. This is not an anchor attraction, but a side attraction. We can discuss what we wish they built insteasd, but don't knock the ride for being itself. Flat rides are ok, basic simple attractions are ok, not everything needs to be a huge headliner. Do I wish the land had another attraction yes, if it was another flat ride think fliks flyers, that would have been cool. Any way that's my thought- rant over-

This is pretty accurate. Nobody should be “mad” that these things aren’t gonna Knock your sox off...they never claimed they would.

It’s a duplicate of Mater’s...which is a nice little ride...and a junior coaster with theming.

That’s all ok...mgm is gonna need more...that is still the ultimate bottomline. Still too small to handle crush crowds.

But i gotta tell you...people have been absolutely stupid about mine train...and that’s as kiddie coaster as you can get away with...so it’s hard to blame disney for not trying to wow people...

...they drink the sand.

peter11435

What was the budget for the magic band and FP+ implementation? What was the budget for this ride?

I'll wait.
It’s irrelevent what the budget was for Mymagic+. Was it too much... absolutely. But also remember much of it went to many things beyond just magic bands and FP+. The resort was in desperate need of a tech and Infrastructure upgrade. Much of that would have inevitably needed done with or without being packaged as a giant project.

Comparing the budgets is pointless because the budget for this land was well beyond what it needed to be. The problem is not budgets.

jaklgreen

This is like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. It seems silly and not worth it. But my 16 yo daughter and I were in DCA/DL last month and rode Mater and it was fun. We laughed and enjoyed ourselves. Even though it is a silly ride, it made us laugh. And that is what rides are supposed to do. Your kids will enjoy it and I am sure if you are not too much of a stick in the mud, you will like it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It’s irrelevent what the budget was for Mymagic+. Was it too much... absolutely. But also remember much of it went to many things beyond just magic bands and FP+. The resort was in desperate need of a tech and Infrastructure upgrade. Much of that would have inevitably needed done with or without being packaged as a giant project.

Comparing the budgets is pointless because the budget for this land was well beyond what it needed to be. The problem is not budgets.

It's not pointless, nor was it too much of a spend. It's literally the perfect example of a project with a significant budget vs a project with an insignificant budget, but you're simply discarding my point for convenience.

They probably spent more on the parking garages at Disney Springs than they did on this whole land.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What was the budget for the magic band and FP+ implementation? What was the budget for this ride?

I'll wait.

The magic band program was just an elaborate front for a much needed IT infrastructure project...

The band was the excuse to Wall Street promising upcharges.

That’s the problem when you’re a slave to The stock: you can’t do what’s necessary to keep the business going without an excuse.

As far as the toy story budget...I don’t recall hearing/reading anything about it...but like “new fantasyland”, I’m sure it was vastly overstated and reduced - as most projects tend to be.

Also like fantasyland...a big component was earth moving/demolition of a mothballed area under the guise of capital construction. Repurposing...in many ways.

peter11435

It's not pointless, nor was it too much of a spend. It's literally the perfect example of a project with a significant budget vs a project with an insignificant budget, but you're simply discarding my point for convenience.

They probably spent more on the parking garages at Disney Springs than they did on this whole land.
You’re comparing apples to oranges which is why it’s pointless. For what Toy Story land is the budget was very significant. I’m discarding your point because it’s silly.

Just because I can spend $20,000 to renovate my bathroom doesn’t mean I should pay $20,000 for a new front door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom