Alien Swirling Saucers rider experience and comments

britain

Just went to YouTube for complete ride-throughs of the two. Picking two videos at random...

Mater: 1:25
Saucers: 1:28

The difference between those times could be attributed to different weight of riders at slow down.

Are the durations of rides like this, Dumbo, and the tea-cups totally at the mercy of the ride operator or is it automatic? I'm assuming the operator starts it up, but it will automatically stop after a pre-determined period of time, right?

Marc Davis Fan

Mater at DCA is WAYYYYYYYYYY better than A.S.S. won't waste a fastpass on this one again.

There seems to be an overall positive reaction to Mater, and an overall negative reaction to this one.

Is it just because this was hyped as a higher-tier attraction than it really is, while Mater is viewed as a minor diversion in a land that focuses on a major e-ticket?

Or could this attraction actually have some kind of substantive difference, like actually being slower? Or, as @britain suggested, is it just something like the roof, or music, or lighting package, or even just the general aesthetic?

EDIT: My question was answered above. Is there any evidence that Mater really is wilder, or is it just our imaginations?

TP2000

There seems to be an overall positive reaction to Mater, and an overall negative reaction to this one.

Is it just because this was hyped as a higher-tier attraction than it really is, while Mater is viewed as a minor diversion in a land that focuses on a major e-ticket?

Or could this attraction actually have some kind of substantive difference, like actually being slower? Or, as @britain suggested, is it just something like the roof, or music, or lighting package, or even just the general aesthetic?

EDIT: My question was answered above. Is there any evidence that Mater really is wilder, or is it just our imaginations?

I think part of the difference is expectations. Alien Swirling Saucers opened in DHS, a 28 year old theme park that only had five (5!) other operating rides, and none of them were fun little C Tickets like this. (Tower, RnRC, Star Tours, Slinky Dog, Midway Mania)

But Mater's Junkyard Jamboree opened in DCA, a 13 year old theme park that had twenty one (21!) other operating rides, and a half dozen of those other rides were fun little C Tickets like this. Even after DCA bulldozed A Bug's Land a few months ago and removed four other spinner rides to build Marvel Land and the big new rides it will have, DCA still has 17 rides operating daily in that theme park. (Radiator Springs Racers, Luigi's Roadsters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Monsters Inc., Red Car Trolley, Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Little Mermaid, Golden Zephyr, Goofy's Sky School, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Silly Swings, Emotional Whirlwind, Pixar Wheel, Midway Mania, Carousel, Incredicoaster)

If you open a park's first new ride in 19 years, in a decades-old theme park that only has five other rides, you probably think it's going to be really amazing. Mater's/Saucers isn't amazing, it's just a fun little spinner set to music and silliness. And it's probably a little more fun in California in the outdoor junkyard.

Last edited:

celluloid

For those who aren't impressed. What's your impression of Dumbo?

Minor attraction that is over 40 years old with a decent capacity in a land with four to five other rides of various scale within a theme park full of 50 plus attractions and distractions of various scale. A decent design that is also placed so it kinetically adds to the atmosphere.(much more in its original location)

The queue for Aliens is my biggest gripe. Effort to have covered queues but they made things ironically look I interactive with static buttons and levers, when this is one that would have been fitted most being a giant toy set theme. It is just the space ranger spin wallpaper design.

Little Green Men

I love the toy story aliens so I’m glad they got their own ride. That might influence my opinion but I enjoy this ride more than Mater’s, I think the lighting is better with the roof

Kman101

The music is fun and the ride is enjoyable. I like it. I think, even without riding them, that in terms of theme, Maters and even the Bullseye is a better use so to speak but it’s surprisingly fun. IMO. Better at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom