Alien Swirling Saucers rider experience and comments

Kamikaze

It’s a video game on turntables...men in Black 2.0

Now see...here’s where it starts: I LIKE midway...it’s neat. But don’t call me crazy for identifying it as NOT a groundbreaking ride. It’s not worth hours...

It’s an opinion...I try to call things realistically.

Everyone can have an opinion. It doesn't mean your opinion isn't completely incorrect.

I never said its groundbreaking. Just that it isn't a C ticket. None of the Mountains at MK really were groundbreaking. Two steel coasters and a log flume. But all three are still E Tickets.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Investment amount is not the problem.

It has something to do with it. Recycling ride tech is an indicator of a small budget.

Forbidden Journey? Gringotts is extremely complex and new tech, and the driverless vehicles of Kong & FF are pretty innovative, even if FF's content and use of said vehicles is crap.

FJ and Gringotts were pretty innovative, but Kong and FF really aren't.

Second best for sure. WDW's ToT will never be topped.

I don't disagree with that at all.

Rich T

Why build good rides when you can just flood the parks with bad ones. Doesn't matter that they said it would be a clone of another ride, it matters that it's not innovative or even good. When Dumbo is a better attraction, you might be missing the mark. :joyfull:

To be fair though, it's still better than Fast n Furious. :joyfull:
It's not a bad ride, though it doesn't look quite as fun as Mater's: The darker, roofed setting kills a bit of the joy.

Rich T

Just watched the POV videos. I'm biased, but I think Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is a bit more successful with this ride system. Being outdoors without a roof, swinging around to country tunes, and listening to Mater's corny jokes as you enter and exit adds quite a bit of life and fun to the experience. Still, I'm sure A. S. S. will be a lot of fun... and it can operate in the rain. :)

Rich T

I’m curious... why are the Wii comparisons stupid?
Just butting in: I actually bought the Wii home version of TSM, which did a decent job of *trying* to bring the experience home to a TV, but.... it was about 1% as much fun as the ride. It can't be overstated how much the 3D, the big screens, the live competition, the physical effects and the ride motion add to the experience (plus the sheer looniness of the cannon pull-strings). TSM is a giddy, great family ride that accomplishes AMAZING feats of live processing, and it's definitely a case where the whole is far, far greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

lifeguard1020

I always hate jumping into the "opinion" part of these discussions. However, I feel that whatever you think about the rides and the land, they bring two needed things to the park.
One: A child ride. It's not Dumbo, but it fits that purpose.
Two: The land brings much needed greenery to the park. The land has more plant life than the entire rest of the park put together!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Needs bubbles. Why? Cause bubbles are fun! (Still thought it was supposed to have them but I guess my CM buddy was wrong)
Daytime riding vs Nighttime, Whoa! It's like a night and day difference! ;) Daytime = Zzz. Nighttime = Zap! They should strongly consider adding some kinetics or something to offset the lack of lightshow pizzaz during the day. I say bubbles... fog-filled bubbles. Would be cool if they could retrofit some fog machines to the spaceships. Overall though, based on the ride videos; it looks and sounds exactly as imagined.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Just when you thought NRJ was the worst attraction at WDW, Disney sets the bar even lower.
Not every attraction is an E-ticket. DHS needs B's and C's, especially with three E's opening next year. I have no problem with them putting in themed flat rides to round out the attraction lineup.

This land feels similar to a Bug's Land in DCA but with more substantial attractions. We were expecting a Kiddie Land and that's essentially what we got.

RSoxNo1

It’s a video game on turntables...men in Black 2.0

Now see...here’s where it starts: I LIKE midway...it’s neat. But don’t call me crazy for identifying it as NOT a groundbreaking ride. It’s not worth hours...

It’s an opinion...I try to call things realistically.

By the way...how’s Star Wars doing? Building on that strong foundation Genious Johnson built? (See...sometimes I do know what I’m looking at...I haven’t even had a beer yet)
Men in Black is a step above Toy Story Mania, calling TSM a 2.0 version of Men in Black doesn't make sense. Having said that, TSM is a D, but Disney has a habit recently of underbuilding their D and E ticket attractions from a capacity standpoint.

mj2v

who said every ride has to be innovative? FOP is very innovative. Star Wars looks to be very innovative.

When Disney does do something different, like Rivers of Light, people and moan.

When they take the safe route with essentially a kid’s ride, the whining begins.

Personally, I look at the massive investment going into WDW and I am very excited for the future. We have lived close by since 94 and this is the most construction that has ever been done at one time. And that includes building AK.

RSoxNo1

The "anchor" attraction of the brand-new land is a 10-year old D-ticket.

Classic WDW shenanigans.
Hold the phone here. The phenomenon of single IP based lands is a new concept brought on by Harry Potter. Let's not separate that from general theme park design. When the Aladdin Spinner was added to Adventureland it doesn't make it an entirely new land. This is a redestricting of Toy Story Mania to be part of Toy Story Land. At the time Toy Story Mania was built, the internal plan had the expansion being other Pixar properties. The fact that they went another way shouldn't deflate the attraction that's already there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Men in Black is a step above Toy Story Mania, calling TSM a 2.0 version of Men in Black doesn't make sense. Having said that, TSM is a D, but Disney has a habit recently of underbuilding their D and E ticket attractions from a capacity standpoint.

Ok...I can concede that...

But the point is: snit over midway Mania isn’t justified. It IS 10 years old, not technically innovative, and a G audience built to low capacity.

It’s kinda the embodiment of what the iger has brought...with limited exceptions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hold the phone here. The phenomenon of single IP based lands is a new concept brought on by Harry Potter. Let's not separate that from general theme park design. When the Aladdin Spinner was added to Adventureland it doesn't make it an entirely new land. This is a redestricting of Toy Story Mania to be part of Toy Story Land. At the time Toy Story Mania was built, the internal plan had the expansion being other Pixar properties. The fact that they went another way shouldn't deflate the attraction that's already there.

It doesn’t deflate it...but it doesn’t enhance it either...50% of the people in that line have done it...perhaps dozens of times.

It’s not “reborn” at midnight tonight or last night. That’s the classic giving credit where credit isn’t due.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom