Alfredo di Roma Ristorante Closing?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've never heard of Aldredo's as a chain, only know it from Epcot (and I've never eaten there based on so many tepid-to-poor reviews I've read). But if it IS a chain, I wonder if Alfredo's was leasing the space, and WDW was charging too much for the space? Or another restaurant came along with a better offer? Or Alfredo's in general is having trouble?

http://www.alfredos.com/

Possibly their lease is up ? :shrug:

ToTBellHop

You know, back when I was a little kid (early 90s), Alfredos was very nice, but I agree that it has really gone downhill. It's nothing spectacular compared to any REAL Italian food I've had. I would actually like to see a combined QSR/sit-down restaurant like they have at Downtown Disney and soon-to-be Yak and Yeti. Then they could have a relatively exclusive dining room for the people who want to spend $100 a plate and a counter service location for those of us who would like something other than chicken fingers or a burger, but don't have enough money for most of World Showcase's restaurants b/c we are grad students...can I get a witness?! No? Okay...

dxwwf3

It would be a downright shame to change a lot of the interrior of one of the most beautiful restaurants in all of WDW that much if this is indeed true.

Epcot82Guy

I agree that the food and service were a bit below par for the price, but I also agree that the restaurant itself was beautiful. The food tasted good, but it was not necessarily outstanding.

However, I am going to reserve a statement as to whether this is good or not until we get a replacement announced (and hoping my current hunch is dead wrong).

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I agree that the food and service were a bit below par for the price, but I also agree that the restaurant itself was beautiful. The food tasted good, but it was not necessarily outstanding.

However, I am going to reserve a statement as to whether this is good or not until we get a replacement announced (and hoping my current hunch is dead wrong).

What sort of hunch...?

I don't know of anything Disney could possibly throw in there to upset anyone - it's certainly not a prime location for a character meal - and every pavilion is apparently getting some sort of update. This literally leaves just Germany and France.

ryguy

You know, back when I was a little kid (early 90s), Alfredos was very nice, but I agree that it has really gone downhill. It's nothing spectacular compared to any REAL Italian food I've had. I would actually like to see a combined QSR/sit-down restaurant like they have at Downtown Disney and soon-to-be Yak and Yeti. Then they could have a relatively exclusive dining room for the people who want to spend $100 a plate and a counter service location for those of us who would like something other than chicken fingers or a burger, but don't have enough money for most of World Showcase's restaurants b/c we are grad students...can I get a witness?! No? Okay...

Good post. Back in the 80's this restaurant was very good, the best alfredo I have ever had, then in the 90's for some reason it progressively went down hill. The only reason its so successful is that most people like Italian food and its a safe bet for families because everyone can find something to eat on the menu. I for one think its a welcome change hopefully we can get a more unique Italian restaurant, something we don't have on every street corner here in the states. Thats the fun of going to epcot. Trying something unique without the hassle of going overseas.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I can see it now....

Dining in Italy, hosted by...

showcase-3-110.jpg

philsfan2185

This really isn't a big loss. Changes are good sometimes. The food is nothing special.

Here's an idea: turn it into a Pinocchio character dinning type of thing. Pinoc, Gipetto, Stromboli, Foulfellow, Gideon, and the Blue Fairy could appear for lunch and dinner. It would be different, ya know?

Hey hakunamatata, there is already one Subway in Epcot, I don't think it needs another one.

I-4Warrior

Sadly, a lot of times, those of us who grew up in Italian families are rather snobbish about Italian food ("It's okay, but my grandmother made that soooo much better..."), but I can look at things objectively and say "Yes, that Italian restaurant is really good." But I can also say "Uh... that wasn't so good." Alfredo fits into the latter. The food is average at best. The service is average at best. The price for the food and the service is laughable. I had been there and refused to go back when there are places offsite that offer better food, larger portions and better service for infinitely better prices. Olive Garden (not my favorite by any stretch), Carrabas (again, not my favorite, yet still light years better than Alfredo), and Angellinos (Alfredo would consider itself blessed to be in their solar system) are all much better options. My true apologies to those who will miss Alfredo, but I personally will not shed a tear. Heck, the Italian pavillion needs a shake-up anyway. It's been static over there for years.

BSikor

Here's an idea: turn it into a Pinocchio character dinning type of thing. Pinoc, Gipetto, Stromboli, Foulfellow, Gideon, and the Blue Fairy could appear for lunch and dinner. It would be different, ya know?

NO! No more character dining! They already got Norway and the Garden Grill! How much else do we need?

Is nothing sacrid?!?!?!

ToTBellHop

not a Pinocchio fan...ick. But, knowing Jay Rasulo's global marketing plans, I wouldn't be surprised to see something along the lines of "The Italian Restaurant Starring Ratatouille and Friends." Yes, I'm well aware that Ratatouille is set in Paris. Jay doesn't care. They might actually go with a more cultural experience and offer "The Ristorante Italiano Starring Ratatouille and Friends"

Epcot82Guy

What sort of hunch...?

I don't know of anything Disney could possibly throw in there to upset anyone - it's certainly not a prime location for a character meal - and every pavilion is apparently getting some sort of update. This literally leaves just Germany and France.

nope. Just waiting to see what happens. Not making any calls yet. This could be a very nice change; it could not. We'll see what/who takes over.

JPVonDrake

Just FYI

Currenty there is no "official" anouncement that L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante will be closing, nor are there any internal rumors that I have heard of. Reservations are still being accepted 180 days out.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Currenty there is no "official" anouncement that L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante will be closing, nor are there any internal rumors that I have heard of. Reservations are still being accepted 180 days out.

A much more convincing piece of information! :sohappy:

imagineer99

I wonder the validity of the original post. That said, it this is true, I wouldn't be heart broken.

I think the atmosphere is very nice. But, the food is the definition of mediocre (and overpriced!) Honestly, it's like going to the Macaroni Grill and paying three times as much for a quarter of the menu options. Add in poor service and you got yourself a place I always tend to avoid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom