Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

MarkTwain

Do have to disagree here though. I've heard hundreds of stories where the manager does not back up the CM even though the CM was completely correct and only enforcing the rules they were taught to enforce. The manager would rather throw that CM under the bus than make themselves look bad in the eyes of that guest, even if it means allowing the guest to get away with breaking a rule. It's kind of a toss up and depends on the manager, it seems. Usually if there is any "belittling" its usually something completely ridiculous like "what do you mean I can't bring my newborn baby on Tower of Terror??"

This manager situation happens often and it can be annoying, but much of the time it's also understandable. The front-line CMs can't (officially) break rules for guests without risking their jobs; a manager can. In many cases where a guest relations problem has become bad enough that a manager must become involved, a little rule-bending may be justified, but only the manager has that authority. This of course may make the CM look bad for (correctly) enforcing the rules, but the better managers always explain the proper procedure to the guest anyway and inform them that they're making a special case.

But yeah, your overall post is dead on - there's an overall negative aura that is infectious. There's no pride, and there's no real incentive to be that great, idealistic CM.

As to this, I have no solution. This may be Disney's biggest problem regarding it's treatment of CMs, is that there is simply no real means of truly rewarding those that put everything they do into their work over those that show up for the paycheck each day and check any sense of care at the door (of whom there are quite a few - I believe I saw WDW1974 use a figure of 35% which would not be inaccurate). The pay is low and isn't getting higher for either type of employee, and usually leadership can't personally supervise the vast majority of guest/cast interactions going on at the same time. At this point, CMs who choose to truly put their all into guest service and creating a magical experience, do so as a labor of love for the company and belief in the Disney guest experience, and those CMs seem to be getting fewer.

TP2000

At DLR one thing I immediately noticed was there were much more groups of adults, teens, and adolescents hanging out without young children (and to support this, very notably fewer strollers seen). I got an overwhelming sense that many of them actually get it and appreciate it, compared to WDW where so many just go because they're been told that they should.

Yup, that's a huge chunk of Disneyland's clientele right there. And for the most part, they "get it" as good Southern Californians have since the 1950's.

I've got a good friend in Georgia who has kids and now young grandkids, and he makes a WDW pilgrimage every two years or so. He totally doesn't get it, and neither does his wife. They do it because they have disposable income and children and grandchildren, and something tells them they are supposed to do that every few years to be good Americans. But the man could care less, and doesn't give a rats behind who Walt was or why he did what he did. And he doesn't care that the animatronics on WDW's Jungle Cruise are rickety and decaying, because it's just "fake" anyway.

In Southern California, that type of parent is subject to a wary eye from the rest of the dinner party guests, most of whom have Disneyland Annual Passes and know all the important Disneyland dates and Walt facts and lyrics to the songs of all the good rides.

Obi Walt Kenobi

Everyday I log on expecting to here a official announcement that Cars land is coming to DHS. It seems like a no brainer...Backlot is a waste of space these days and and and the place needs more substance, Pixar Place can not remain just one ride.Come on Disney!!! you know you want to build Cars land east..just do it. Already!

Jakester

Everyday I log on expecting to here a official announcement that Cars land is coming to DHS. It seems like a no brainer...Backlot is a waste of space these days and and and the place needs more substance, Pixar Place can not remain just one ride.Come on Disney!!! you know you want to build Cars land east..just do it. Already!
It'll Happen (Hopefully according to Al), Just give it time. I don't expect anything until the D23 Expo

Longhairbear

Disney needs to listen to the front line CM. If they did, and honestly took that info into account, they'd have the best product at the end result.
Case in point, I was a bartender at a family owned restaurant for years. They needed to lower their Workman's Comp insurance premiums and formed a committee of front of the house, and back of the house employees. Managers were included, and all involved were promised there would be no backlash, or retaliation for ideas put forth. We offered ideas to make things more safe for the employees / guests. Management, and owners balked at first, but saw the validity of the concerns. They installed our ideas, and when inspected by the agencies involved, we got a very large insurance premium reduction. Everyone from dishwashers to top management got bonus checks for the money saved. The agencies involved even took our example as a guideline for others to follow.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Regarding the numerous comments about CM's and their attitude and dedication - I have to say that I still "felt the love" during my most recent trip in November.
Not once did I feel that someone was rolling their eyes at me, or was less than eager to help. Clearly, the most eager beavers were in FLE during dress rehearsal and in the newly opened Storybook Circus; but truly, each and every CM throughout all 4 parks made each day magical for our group.
The CM's at WDW still perform head and shoulders above the staff at our local theme park (Canada's Wonderland).

Beholder

I tend to believe an employees attitude and disposition are greatly influenced by the leadership and it's priorities. When costumer service, love for ones job (pride), and an expectation of excellence is fostered and "lived" by leadership, then it translates to a better workforce. If management doesn't care, then, in some cases, the front line folks won't care. Not all, some, maybe most, will still give an honest effort to provide a great experience. But bad leadership or apathetic leadership is like an infection that just gets worse over time. Disney should be staffed with those who truly love what the job means, from bottom to especially the top.

twebber55

I tend to believe an employees attitude and disposition are greatly influenced by the leadership and it's priorities. When costumer service, love for ones job (pride), and an expectation of excellence is fostered and "lived" by leadership, then it translates to a better workforce. If management doesn't care, then, in some cases, the front line folks won't care. Not all, some, maybe most, will still give an honest effort to provide a great experience. But bad leadership or apathetic leadership is like an infection that just gets worse over time. Disney should be staffed with those who truly love what the job means, from bottom to especially the top.
agree... go to a mcdonalds and then go to a chick filet and tell me who has the better customer service

Mawg

FLE may not be bringing in guests like they hope, but I wonder if the competition from UNI is hurting Disney or helping? If UNI was not growing like they are, would WDW numbers be even further down or up? Is the average family saying wow that new HP area looks cool, We weren't going to go to WDW but let's go anyways so we can stop by UNI or is the average family saying we were going to go to WDW anyways, why don't we give a few days up to go to UNI?
My thoughts are that Disney (WDW) would be really hurting if it weren't for the growth of its competition.

alphac2005

agree... go to a mcdonalds and then go to a chick filet and tell me who has the better customer service

Yup, you're so right. Chick-fil-a is privately held and the family has customer service as a hallmark of their business. What's interesting is that while their pay might not differ much from McDonald's the service and caliber of employee is usually substantially better. They certainly go beyond the basis resume and look for people that want to work and show quality for their work no matter the wages.

alphac2005

It seems like one of the problems that Disney has at this point is that they've built such a massive operation in Florida that it's getting harder and harder to find people that truly love their job. Last I looked, DL has something like 20,000 employees while WDW is near 70,000. It seems as though the majority of traditions and incentives to work for the company that were a source of pride for even the lowest rung of Cast Members have disappeared. I remember when we moved to Florida that while I was building our business, more income would have been really nice to help move that process along even quicker. Only WDW, at the time, would I have ever considered with pride to be willing to do any job including scrubbing toilets. I would have with pride told any that's what I did at WDW because of how the company made me feel and the respect that they had for cast and customer. That didn't pan out, though, because as both my wife and I were literally days away from going to the Casting Center for interviews, our business took off two years ahead of plan and then we just spend ridiculous money as customers there. ;)

Many people don't take pride in their work any longer, but that's a big question for society, why? What you're saying hits those points. If a company and management treats an employee poorly, what incentive do they have to work their best? It doesn't matter the workplace whether it's a sales clerk or white collar, management sets the tone. If they do a poor job of setting it, the results from the employees will be way less than desired. Someone that sees things only in black and white might say that the employee has the obligation to work only their hardest at all times, but that is devoid of emotions and reality when people are in a bad work environment.

Nmoody1

Why does everyone want Carsland so bad? Go out west and ride it.... Enjoy soundsational, world of Color, Aladdin.... Then come back and demand some UNIQUE attractions for WDW - with the same budget (hahaha, who am I kidding). Why is everyone so quick to criticise Disney yet are willing to is back and see clones popping up everywhere?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
An example I can think of recently at WDW would be re-painting the exterior of UoE back to its original colors, though I don't think it was in response to fan complaints or anything, so maybe not.
But they wouldn't pay to have the lighting system similarly changed. And so the 1982 paint scheme is dark at night.
Remember when it was all in the detail?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can guarantee you that decision was not made because of the fan base. Especially because it was 14 years between when the rainbow palette was installed and the Radiating energy motif restored rather than a few weeks like with the Bridge at DCA.

I doubt the bridge was either. They only painted one side to start with. I bet it was stopped when someone out the loop said 'woah' - they gave it a second look and said 'no!'

Californian Elitist

Yup, that's a huge chunk of Disneyland's clientele right there. And for the most part, they "get it" as good Southern Californians have since the 1950's.

I've got a good friend in Georgia who has kids and now young grandkids, and he makes a WDW pilgrimage every two years or so. He totally doesn't get it, and neither does his wife. They do it because they have disposable income and children and grandchildren, and something tells them they are supposed to do that every few years to be good Americans. But the man could care less, and doesn't give a rats behind who Walt was or why he did what he did. And he doesn't care that the animatronics on WDW's Jungle Cruise are rickety and decaying, because it's just "fake" anyway.

In Southern California, that type of parent is subject to a wary eye from the rest of the dinner party guests, most of whom have Disneyland Annual Passes and know all the important Disneyland dates and Walt facts and lyrics to the songs of all the good rides.

It's almost tradition to go to Disneyland in CA and pretty much the entire western part of the U.S., and bring your kids up in it. A lot of kids are annual passholders at DL, and it's easy to point out who has been there multiple times, not just for the fun...

I found something online that went like this: "Permanecer sentados, por favor: the first words of Spanish California kids learned". So true, HAHA.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It's almost tradition to go to Disneyland in CA and pretty much the entire western part of the U.S., and bring your kids up in it. A lot of kids are annual passholders at DL, and it's easy to point out who has been there multiple times, not just for the fun...

I found something online that went like this: "Permanecer sentados, por favor: the first words of Spanish California kids learned". So true, HAHA.

That was my first Spanish!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom