Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

COProgressFan

I believe Universal calls it "Good-byes". At the end of the night they require a costumed Team Member from each ride to stand at the exits and thank those departing for coming. It's a really nice touch.

Didn't they used to do this at Epcot? (Or maybe they still do?) I remember cast members from various areas waving goodbye near Spaceship Earth at closing time.

RSoxNo1

I guess it's pushing it, but I feel like Hollywoodland slides by with the vague "Hollywood" concept - step inside movies, or whatever. Agree about A Bug's Land, but at least the attractions inside it are appropriately themed.
I think a Bug's Land is a well executed kiddy land. I would much rather have that in DAK than Dinorama. But it simply doesn't belong in DCA.

twebber55

I think a Bug's Land is a well executed kiddy land. I would much rather have that in DAK than Dinorama. But it simply doesn't belong in DCA.
Dinorama is uber cheesy... if only another theme park could come up with a really cool themed land for dinosaurs....

misterID

Why does everyone want Carsland so bad? Go out west and ride it.... Enjoy soundsational, world of Color, Aladdin.... Then come back and demand some UNIQUE attractions for WDW - with the same budget (hahaha, who am I kidding). Why is everyone so quick to criticise Disney yet are willing to is back and see clones popping up everywhere?

Because in reality, WDW fans (not blind fan boys) know that demanding new unique attractions doesn't work Not here. You get what you can because you're not likely to get anything else for a long time. Sometimes a clone is the best you can get. And if it's an awesome clone you don't turn your nose up at it.

doctornick

Everyday I log on expecting to here a official announcement that Cars land is coming to DHS. It seems like a no brainer...Backlot is a waste of space these days and and and the place needs more substance, Pixar Place can not remain just one ride.Come on Disney!!! you know you want to build Cars land east..just do it. Already!

I'm not expecting an imminent announcement of Cars Land coming to DHS As others have said, it probably won't be official until D23 in the summer. What I would expect is for LMA and/or Backlot Tour to close and demolishing to occur. That could (and certainly should) happen in the next month or two and would basically indicate that something is coming, even if the details are not announced.

As an aside, that's why I hope they'd just build the door coaster (or something elsein Soundstage 1) since it doesn't involve demoliion, so they could start it secretly right now and potentially have something open sooner rather than later (and would lessen the impact of the loss of attractions from LMA/Backlot).

doctornick

Regarding the numerous comments about CM's and their attitude and dedication - I have to say that I still "felt the love" during my most recent trip in November.
Not once did I feel that someone was rolling their eyes at me, or was less than eager to help. Clearly, the most eager beavers were in FLE during dress rehearsal and in the newly opened Storybook Circus; but truly, each and every CM throughout all 4 parks made each day magical for our group.
The CM's at WDW still perform head and shoulders above the staff at our local theme park (Canada's Wonderland).

I've yet to have a bad CM experience in WDW (I'm certainly not a regular like most on here, but I've probably gone about 15 times over the years, so enough to have an opinion). I mean, I've had some less engaging CMs and some that couldn't answer my question, but I've never been insulted or offended by a CM's action or thought they were doing something wrong.

Meanwhile, when I went to DLR in summer 2010, I encountered 2 CMs who were downright rude, nasty and completely unhelpful. I was shocked and my reaction was "this would never happen in Florida, they must run a looser ship here in California". To be fair, when I went back to DLR in summer 2012, everyone was up to the high Disney standards I've come to expect so I'm writing off my previous experience as a fluke.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Meanwhile, when I went to DLR in summer 2010, I encountered 2 CMs who were downright rude, nasty and completely unhelpful. I was shocked and my reaction was "this would never happen in Florida, they must run a looser ship here in California". To be fair, when I went back to DLR in summer 2012, everyone was up to the high Disney standards I've come to expect so I'm writing off my previous experience as a fluke.

Its something that ebbs and flows with the workforce and what retention is like. Before the big meltdown in 2008... DLR was god awful.. bleeding CMs like a firehose.. and the turnover really hurt customer service. It's a self-inflicted problem.. training.. pay.. how you handle the employees.. how you compare to competition.. etc. But once the recession really started taking hold... people got a lot more interested in KEEPING the job they had vs treating the job like a tissue.. Retention improved and at least indirectly... customer service has improved.

Various moves by Disney have hurt this.. there seems to have been little done by Disney lately to IMPROVE it on either coast. It's been more an issue of 'does disney suck more than its worth'.

Florida has the issue of the heavy reliance on college and international imports.. both of which lead to lots of turnover.

rle4lunch

Could be worse... it could be devoid of anything to do besides resturants and stupid tours (like Pacific Wharf in DCA).

Definitely a wasted opportunity at DCA. Carsland was sorely needed to keep it afloat. WoC did a lot to keep people in the park after dark, but the lack thereof of actual rides was still haunting them. Same goes for DAK and DHS for that matter.

RSoxNo1

Dinorama is uber cheesy... if only another theme park could come up with a really cool themed land for dinosaurs....

Dinoland USA is a great start to a land, I actually think Dinorama could even work as a concept. Instead of the Primeval Whirl ride system how about a family friendly trackless ride that tells the same story? The setup is that it will essentially be a fun house type ride but the execution would be substantially more.

@EddieSoto explained in one of his epic threads that this was the goal with Pooh's Hunny Hunt. They didn't have an elaborate set up to the ride and guests are pleasantly surprised when the attraction plays out as it does.

People that praise Dinorama will talk about the backstory that was essentially overwritten to compensate for poor execution (presumably due to lack of funds). I really think that theme and backstory could actually work, just not as executed. Of course option two would be to level the entire area, rid themselves of the stink of what it is and come up with a new concept.

Worst theme park in all of Disney. Worse than Toon Town. Hell, worse than Uni's stupid Cat in the Hat land.

I wasn't aware that Seusslanding was an entirely new theme park. So when they make Harry Potter it's own "park" will they have 4 parks now?
Could be worse... it could be devoid of anything to do besides resturants and stupid tours (like Pacific Wharf in DCA).
Pacific Wharf does have some excellent theming and good food though... It would fit in nicely in World Showcase...
I always thought Bugs Land would have been an excellent choice at DAK under the Tree. Akin to Mermaid Lagoon at TDS.
Yes and no. As an indoor land under the tree perhaps they could take a few of those A/B tickets. I don't think there are a lot of options to replace It's Tough to be a Bug, while a perfectly fine show it's not for everyone and something that is housed inside the park icon should be grander.

wdw71fan

the long term scope for improving Whirl is enclosing the structure and making it a dark experience using the existing ride system..

All theming elements are planned to be demo'd and re-engineered.. will this happen? Don't know.. Avatar has changed a LOT of the plans at AK, in both Entertainment as well as Husbandry

Goofyernmost

Why is everyone so quick to criticise Disney yet are willing to is back and see clones popping up everywhere?
What does one have to do with the other, if I understood your questions correctly. Look around you! Probably 80% of the attractions in all Disney Parks are either direct clones or modified clones. They are the quality ones that everyone wants to see and will draw people to the parks without asking them to fly halfway around the world to do it. I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you are somehow blindly thinking that clones are a bad thing then where is the anger at having more than one Disney Park? Shouldn't there be only one and we should all go to it? Why did they build a bunch of other ones someplace else?

DocMcHulk

the long term scope for improving Whirl is enclosing the structure and making it a dark experience using the existing ride system..

All theming elements are planned to be demo'd and re-engineered.. will this happen? Don't know.. Avatar has changed a LOT of the plans at AK, in both Entertainment as well as Husbandry
I like it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Definitely a wasted opportunity at DCA. Carsland was sorely needed to keep it afloat. WoC did a lot to keep people in the park after dark, but the lack thereof of actual rides was still haunting them. Same goes for DAK and DHS for that matter.

The park has a huge slate of rides. It just lacked much to keep you there once you finished those rides :) And the stink of some of the early failure attractions was pretty hard to shake. DCA was known for 'dash in, dash out' and couldn't retain guests. The attraction build out, retheming, and new entertainment has finally pulled it through it. But yeah, there are still plenty of scabs and scars left if you look :)

The irony is DCA started off with everything that DL wasn't... and the stuff that people complain DL is weak in (food, thrill rides, etc)... but then DCA was so heavily scrutinized for not having the middle ground DL had. I think it proves again and again.. it's about balance. Example.. without the entertainment aspect.. I'd wonder if DCA v2 would be as successful at holding guests.. regardless of Carsland. It's the attacking on all fronts that did it IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom