Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

RSoxNo1

FastPass also taught us to ignore the lands, the theme. It encouraged running back and forth across the park to the next FastPass Distribution and then back to another attraction.
Do you think this would be a problem if you could book Fastpasses from your phone or a centralized location?

RSoxNo1

The Nemo clams are actually cheaper and more simple - they can only face that one direction. The LM clams are like Haunted Mansion's doom buggies in that they can rotate as well as go through navigation changes.
It also doesn't thematically fit in Paradise Pier. Everything else in DCA reasonably fits in the land it's located in.
Hollywoodland doesn't make a whole lot of sense, nor does the existence of a Bug's Land

Goofyernmost

I haven't followed this thread closely (only so much time in a day for MAGICal play, right?), but @PirateFrank and @Goofyernmost aren't known as Disney haters here (I won't go into the uttter stupidity of calling anyone here that now!) ... And as I read their comments all I could think of was Disney needs to wake up, they are the canaries in the proverbial coal mine for average Disney fans.

When they talk of something palpably different at WDW vs. UNI or Disney in previous years, they are noticing what I've noticed happening steadily this century. When they talk of Disney feeling dead vs a dynamic, alive, happening vibe at UNI, that is what I have seen for years. When they talk of Disney CMs going through the motions, being unhappy and disinterested on the job and, often, acting like guests are a nuissance while UNI's seem excited and happy to be there, again, that is what I have experienced. I could go on, but the bottom line is I just don't find anything I really disagree with.

But I guess for some, it's just better when it comes from a different source. I am blunt and that often rubs some the wrong way. I call some people Pixie Dust addicts because WDW can be and is an addiction for some in a religious/cult-like way.

Kudos to both posters for being honest about their feelings both past and present!
Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Spirit. One thing though, I'm not sure how much I like being compared to a canary in a coal mine. Sounds very much like martyrdom to me. Anyway, it appears to me that on occasion you need a PR guy to help you get your point across and I am just the guy. You'll be receiving my bill shortly. :cool:

RSoxNo1

I think it will help some. If you have all your FP picked at the start of the day you should be running across the park less.
You're not understanding this. If you could book it on your phone you wouldn't have to plan out your entire day in advance.

I love the idea of being in line for the Jungle Cruise and booking a Fastpass for Splash Mountain. Then when I get to Splash Mountain I book one for Thunder Mountain and I put in my order at Pecos Bill. I go get lunch and then use my Thunder Mountain Fastpass. All of this sounds great, but I want to have the flexibility to do this, day of. I don't want to have this planned out in advance.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
You're not understanding this. If you could book it on your phone you wouldn't have to plan out your entire day in advance.

I love the idea of being in line for the Jungle Cruise and booking a Fastpass for Splash Mountain. Then when I get to Splash Mountain I book one for Thunder Mountain and I put in my order at Pecos Bill. I go get lunch and then use my Thunder Mountain Fastpass. All of this sounds great, but I want to have the flexibility to do this, day of. I don't want to have this planned out in advance.

That would be nice but I don't know if Disney will let us work it this way. I would love if FP+ were only started 24 or 12 hours out or worked exactly like they did now but you used your phone. Unfortunately that isn't the way Disney is working it.

the.dreamfinder

They could also time release FPs to end the rope drop rushes too.

dupac

That's kinda how Six Flags version of FP works. You pay for it of course, but you get what looks like a GigaPet or Tomagotchi that lists all the current return times for the headliner rides. You just select the ride you want and go get in line at that time. No kiosks, no running around.

Genie of the Lamp

So back to Carsland, what differences/additions/enhancements are we going to see in Carsland 2.0 compared to Carsland 1.0 besides Luigi's being canned? I would think they might want to add some more small scale things to enhance the experience of the land like additional car character M&G's (Flo and Sally possibly and more likely) and maybe another shop or restaurant to make it unique to a certain perspective. Speaking of which, what do you guys think the budget will be for constructing this? One thing for certain is that it should cost less to construct being that this will be cloned to a majority degree. Should we expect this as a possible announcement at D23 Expo or at the April media event shindig for WDW (I think it's Around the World pres. I'm not sure though)?

Goofyernmost

I also completely disagree with the notion that the more you visit, the more you see the flaws. When I was in college in Florida, I sometimes was at WDW every other weekend. Well into the 90s I spent vastly more time there than I do now. And I didn't see very many flaws. It wasn't the Pixie Dust. It was reality.
And you were doing so well too! Of course your focus is going to change based on the number of visits you have. It has too. When you first started going you were not as much blinded by Pixie Dust as you were the Glint and Glimmer of the place. Even the first few years it remains the same because there is so much to see and so much to do, you really don't have time to even notice the negatives, much less have time to concentrate on them.

I believe that I stated that I never started to even go there until I was 35 years old and had small children in tow. Yes, I did love it and it was new and exciting and so, so different from anything I had ever experienced, but that didn't stop me from noticing things that somehow you were lucky enough to escape or not notice. In 1983 when I first went to EPCOT Ctr. it was anything but magical. The line to the movie in Imagination was all the way out to The Land. We spent so much time in that line that we just decided that Disney's mystical people moving abilities had not taken the Monorail over with us from MK and we left. We didn't go back until 4 years later. Perhaps in the mid 90's you missed the smell of garbage wafting up from the west side of Casey's or the rancid ketchup that was also in the same spot. You didn't see the AA's on Tom Sawyer Island totally immobile just standing there in frozen form. Apparently you were lucky or your radar hadn't kicked in yet.

So what I'm saying is that the totality of WDW, as viewed from the first through consecutive visits is gradually changed and forgotten or just not noticed. After you have looked at Main Street a few dozen times you stop seeing it as a whole and start noticing things like light bulbs out, etc. I did notice them, but, the mere fact that there were so few put my mind in a completely different mode. It's sort of the glass half full or the glass half empty. I thought to myself, my god, look at the size of this place and so few things are broken. You looked at it and said, there is no excuse for anything to be broken. Just not realistic. Yes, it breaks the magic bubble, but to expect perfection in every corner is asking for something the mere mortals cannot always accomplish, in fact I doubt that it is anymore possible then perpetual motion.

Other things, however, are controllable and that is where I have joined your band wagon. The atmosphere, the attitudes, the availability of attractions where others once stood, systems that allow for a better experience (BTW, Fastpass isn't one of them) are controllable and you are correct in calling out Disney in that respect. I know I didn't pinpoint the problem until very recently, but now that I have, that is what I am planning on demanding from my Disney experience. The rest will follow.

Todd H

That's kinda how Six Flags version of FP works. You pay for it of course, but you get what looks like a GigaPet or Tomagotchi that lists all the current return times for the headliner rides. You just select the ride you want and go get in line at that time. No kiosks, no running around.

That's how Dollywood's Q2Q works as well. In fact, it pains me to say this but I found it exponentially better than Disney's version of Fastpass. I basically paid them a certain amount (I paid with cash) and they set up the Q2Q. I picked a ride, a reservation time, and off I went. When the attendant in line electronically verified my reservation, I was free to make another. And best of all, it didn't store any of my personal information.

dupac

That's how Dollywood's Q2Q works as well. In fact, it pains me to say this but I found it exponentially better than Disney's version of Fastpass. I basically paid them a certain amount (I paid with cash), they set up the Q2Q.. It didn't store any of my personal information. I picked a ride, a reservation time, and off I went. When the attendant in line electronically verified my reservation, I was free to make another.

I'm not sure if we had to wait until we had our reservations verified to make another reservation or not with the Flash Pass. When I went to Dollywood a couple of years ago, we didn't use the Q2Q. We went during the summer but I don't remember waiting in any lines at all. Except maybe that mine coaster.

Todd H

I'm not sure if we had to wait until we had our reservations verified to make another reservation or not with the Flash Pass. When I went to Dollywood a couple of years ago, we didn't use the Q2Q. We went during the summer but I don't remember waiting in any lines at all. Except maybe that mine coaster.

You may be right. It's been a couple of years since I've been. I just remember I couldn't make another one until I either used the first one or the window passed. Not sure which one.

kittybubbles

Sorry....it's not WDW fatigue. CM apathy is real and it's significant.....and I think it threatens the very fabric of WDW far more significantly than the broken ani's or TDOs refusal to engage Uni in the attraction war. One altercation with a nasty CM will scar a guest FAR deeper than the guest noticing the mayor isn't spitting water on POTC. If you ride splash and the bees aren't spinning, you're probably going to forget that little annoyance if the CM at the loading dock says to your daughter "wow princess you look beautiful"....but it's going to stick in your craw and ruin your experience after the CM says "hurry up, people are waiting"

I think of the last time I left the Magic Kingdom...reading "See Ya Real Soon"....having folks wave at me w/ big Mickey hands...I think of the last time I left US, a line of cast members where standing there (I assume to stop people from heading to the turnstiles you enter from...so many of them said "thanks for coming" as I walked by. It really struck me, just that little personal touch.

My last few times at WDW, well it seems like they now seem to have a team lead or something (one who knows what they are doing) working w/ a handful of CP folks or something.

The girl who checked me in on my last stay...she was nice enough and seemed well trained to follow a script. I couldn't understand why she bothered to ask me questions as my answers did not matter. Do you have a car with you? Yes...put this on your windshield...but the she drew on the map showing me how to walk to my room.

We had already established that I had stayed there before...she asked me if I had ever used the dining plan before...I said yes but reminded her that I was not on the dining plan for this trip.

I think I really derailed her when she asked me to pick a pin for my KTTW card, I asked her if it was for my card or my spouses...silly me, I am use to our cards having different pins...it took a little while for both of us to understand that one pin was for all cards....not sure why I tried on-line check in...just seemed like I still needed to go over a lot of info that I already understood...the only thing new to me was a pin for room charges..to which she somehow answered as 'new technology' that will take awhile to get use to.

I have had good experiences with CM's at Disney but UNI has surprised me more in the past year with their employees and their approach to customer service...I knew things were declining at Disney when I was at City Hall around three or four years ago to purchase a TiW card. I really thought Disney would staff their most knowledgable CM's at this location. I overheard a customer ask "what are all the references to '71"?...I do not know, let me go ask someone, I know it is the engine # of our fire truck. (This was just prior to the card game replacing the fire station.)

PirateFrank

FWIW, I still believe WDW has far more wonderful CMs than bad ones. But let's say it's 65% great and 35% everything from OK to 'should be in jail' ... that means that 35% of your interactions are likely to be one of those types. And those bad ones are what you remember...

Spirit, thanks for saying this bit. I tried to remind myself to make this point clear, but forgot to include it in my writings. I often have the msg board fault of being way too verbose and long in my rumblings...and I delve into topics with too much detail at the expense of getting all my thoughts in.

When I was stating before that the aggregate CM attitudes have worsened, I had hoped people would grasp that of course there are cast members that are great. We had met a beautiful young woman CM at soarin during our recent trip. As we walked into the queue, she pulled us aside and offered to take us to the front of the line as the day's 'first class' travelers. After we rode soarin, my daughter was presented with a card, signifying we were the days first class fliers, complete with all of the soarin CM's signatures. It was a really cool little thing they did. That was a little piece of magic.

But, as we were leaving the land, I went over to get our stroller and was detoured by a surly CM who was blocking the path for some in apparent reason. I indicated that all I needed was to get the stroller. He gave me this very nasty "FU" look (the kind of look I would expect from someone about to start a bar fight) and gave the three-finger disney point. No "I'm sorry sir" or even a half assed explanation of why the path was closed off....just a juvenile tough guy scowl with the three finger salute. I remember walking all the way around this island to get to the strollers, still no reason why the path was closed off, and I spent the next 25 minutes not thinking of that beautiful smiling CM at soarin, but how much I wanted to punch that "FU scowl" off that other cast members face. Talk about a scuttled opportunity on disneys part.

This is what I was referring to before, how absolutely cancerous a bad CM can be....and why I think it's the most serious problem WDW currently faces. More serious than TDOs lack of interest in engaging uni in the attraction war or the misguided expenditures in NGE. TDO can put 2 billion (like my number choice there?) spread evenly into each of the four parks with nothing but exciting new attractions.....and it will be absolutely meaningless if guests walk out of those new attractions feeling sour about a douchebag CM that just ruined their first experience in the new attraction. I'm serious here. A bad CM is cancer.....and I would be willing to bet that any number of the bad experiences here that people are relaying, *could* have been fixed if the CMs were better trained and educated.

Somewhere along the way, especially in the past 5 years, WDW seems to have reduced or completely eliminated traditions-style training.

Rodan75

Well, maybe this board isn't for you? What you view as negativity othevs view as critical thinking and commenting. As for Pixiedusters? Not even gonna bother ...

I don't believe you create critical thinking by name calling and creating epithets. I do appreciate robust discussions and varying viewpoints. I have stopped reading 'the spirit' threads because of all the vitriol.

Kuhio

I think of the last time I left the Magic Kingdom...reading "See Ya Real Soon"....having folks wave at me w/ big Mickey hands...I think of the last time I left US, a line of cast members where standing there (I assume to stop people from heading to the turnstiles you enter from...so many of them said "thanks for coming" as I walked by. It really struck me, just that little personal touch.

A cynical person might note that the wording of Disney's park farewell implicitly presumes that you'll be making a return visit. In contrast, Universal's farewell simply expresses gratitude for your visit.

As such, said person might conclude that, whereas Universal is working hard to make sure that its guests know they are appreciated, Disney is confident that its guests are utterly hooked and will be forking over more of their hard-earned cash in the future, regardless of whether the parks are well-maintained or have substantive new additions.

(In reality, of course, "See ya real soon" has its origins in a nostalgic piece of Disney history -- words from the original Mickey Mouse Club "Alma Mater." Still, the symbolism is a bit ironic, eh?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom