Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

Tip Top Club

FLE is very uncomfortable to visit right now. There is no throughway between Ariel's Grotto and Storybook Circus, so when you walk all the way down the pathway from Enchanted Tales to Ariel's Grotto, you are trapped and must go back the way you came. We were there recently and this traffic pattern, combined perhaps with Splash being down, made it really crowded and difficult to navigate. I personally don't feel like returning until the Mine Train portion is done.

That path is open periodically, it only closes when construction equipment needs to get in and out of the mine train area. Unless that's changed.

Pixiedustmaker

Original Poster
The Luigi's building at DL was interesting. Maybe another gift shop or snack bar there instead of the ride? Got to have the tower of tires.

I think they could put a plussed Carsland electric Autopia here, call it "Baby Cars", and then that would mean they could take out the gas guzzling Autopia in Tomorrowland. Could be great if you get to drive through some rockwork.

They still need to have Luigi's for the place to be Radiator Springs as he is a major character.

Mad Stitch

Avatar is broken down by the side of the road. Hood up. Smoke billowing out.

Rohde is desperately poking around under the hood, trying to get it running. It's his only ride, so he's not giving up.
Cameron is standing off to the side, arms crossed, tapping his foot. The look on his face saying, "Well...?"

Maybe Rohde should concentrate on getting his yeti working before taking on new projects.

WishIwasThere

After reading the article, I hope this is true. I have a feeling that the bleeding, or at least zero growth, will continue as Universal continues their rapid expansion. With Transformers opening this summer and HP2 opening late next year, they are all set with their line in the sand. They had a great bump from HP already so they are all set for more movement in the positive direction. Hopefully this will wake up TDO into realizing that a clone and D-ticket coaster is not a Potter Swatter.

Dopey77

No surprise with NEW Fantasyland.. as a local, who frequents the parks more often than most, the Magic Kingdom has always been a favorite. I do my best to stay away from the new area.. as mentioned, the layout (there should be a sign posted saying NO OUTLET) is horrible due to the construction on the Mine Train coaster and the offerings are dismal. You do have a great gift shop dedicated to Phil Holmes.. but I find myself spending more time enjoying the rose gardens, swan boat landing plaza and Main Street than New Fantasyland. Center Street East is a better attraction to itself, sitting out by Art Festival and listening to the happenings on the 2nd floor.

Skibum1970

The FLE is nice but not newsworthy enough. Even the coaster may not be enough to draw in crowds although I figure the lines will be long enough. However, an update along the lines of Cars Land would be very welcomed by the East Coast crowd and the international visitors. Plus, it might help siphon some of the crowds off of Magic Kingdom on those ultra-busy days. I would hope that DHS would get a substitute ride (ex. Monsters Inc coaster that has been rumored) for Luigi's. From the reviews, a substitute would be better as Luigi's doesn't have a lot of capacity.

Genie of the Lamp

To be honest, I'm suprised Al Lutz is still able to get this kinda insider info considering George is going to WDW and now with Mr.Baxter gone he will really have to dig deep to pull this stuff up. I'm sure he has some less respectable sources out there.:p Or he can do what he's been doing for the last few months and just copy Mr.Spirit's thoughts/info on the 411 for Disney.

Edit: Of course in this instance I can see why he would get to the ride first cause it has do deal with WDW since George is Prez their now.

SirLink

Meh, adding a cut back value version of only half of Carsland will also do nothing to boost attendance.

Come on WDC execs, pop your head out, open your eyes and look at what you are doing!

They aren't bringing in the value engineered version, Burbank finally figured that out with FLE - but again if DHS makeover is simply CarsLand/New Entertainment/New plusses of existing rides ... then I'm sorry but that is borring with a capital B - try harder

RSoxNo1

Especially one with one less ride. Is WDW up to handling all those car Animatronics?
There was a rumor of a Luigi and Guido animatronic being put in the middle of the California version and they would move the tires around between cycles. Personally, I think they only way this could really work is a similar concept to Aquatopia where it can be a continuously loading attraction and the guests aren't really in control of the vehicle motion other than maybe spin control.

Goofyernmost

I'm still not a fan of bringing Carsland here. I just think they can do better. They have plenty of other stories that can and should be told to make WDW unique, why clone something? It's like Walt's saying, "You can't top pigs with pigs". This seems to be a forgotten lesson by Disney. Sadly, I think they're going to have to re-learn it, the hard way.
Walt did say that, or something similar, but he was talking about movies. He wasn't talking about about theme parks 3000 miles from each other. That poor man has been convenience quoted more then the bible. My guess is that those that are against it, are either West Coast dwellers or have access to both coasts on a regular basis. I think most of us on the East Coast are looking forward to Carsland in WDW. I know it will create a trip to WDW from me. I want to see it, but not enough to go to California to do so.

When Walt was involved with "the Florida Project" he had pulled himself away from the details of Magic Kingdom, but being as much of a micro-manager that he was, I doubt that he didn't look at the original plans and give them his blessing. If I recall, a lot of things that were in Disneyland were going to end up in Disneyworld as well. The pigs didn't apply to this.
Cars Land seems so anti-climatic for a DHS Makeover...

*sigh*
I guess I need more to work on then the "sigh". Why do you think it would be anti-climatic? What major event in recent DHS history would cause it to be anti-climatic? I think it would be the biggest thing to happen to all of WDW in a decade, if not longer.

Figments Friend

We were at WDW on 1/22 and I agree attendance felt significantly higher than other January visits we've made. While FLE is something different this January, I would also give some weight to free dining being offered and heavily advertised. I know in the late fall I was receiving emails like every other day inviting me to partake of free dining. Free dining has certainly transformed Septembers more and more as the years have gone by.
-
Agree. I was also in town around this same time, and a couple of days i also took note of the crowd levels seeming being a bit larger then usual for January. Even some CMs i was talking to commented on it, wondering what was going on.

I suspect it also has more to do with the marketing, and less to do with people actually being drawn in by FLE. Crowd level in that area were actually very reasonable, and not as full as i assumed it would be for a brand new area in the Park. Even BOG had a very short line of people waiting for the doors to open for lunch...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom