Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

SirLink

In all honesty, the romanticized notion of Hollywood, was only captured in the Main entrance anyway. Where else did it show up? Might have, but from what I remember after you left that street in the beginning of Disney/MGM, you then sent from dream to movie making reality as a working studio. To me, what has been left behind now is just filler. Carsland, at least, is based on a movie.

OK, I'm yet to understand why that is a problem. Heard it a hundred times on these boards. It never has made any logical sense why that is a bad thing. Coca Cola, that you drink today is a clone of the original. That doesn't stop it from being available everywhere and enjoyable to many. I will enjoy that clone when it is in Florida, I'll probably never see the original. I'll take the clone because to me clone means exact replica. I've got nothing right now.

Because you have two resorts where you need to actually grow your attendance, a BIG draw to go to DCA at the moment is Cars Land take that away and the initial growth will subside...if ya want to see it go to DCA I want something new - something innovative for the O-town parks

PhilharMagician

They aren't bringing in the value engineered version, Burbank finally figured that out with FLE - but again if DHS makeover is simply CarsLand/New Entertainment/New plusses of existing rides ... then I'm sorry but that is borring with a capital B - try harder

I thought that it was going to be the value added version without the extensive rockwork and details found in CA and also missing RSR. Has this changed?

dcibrando

let's face it... each park needs something - MK got FLE, DHS needs to get carsland, etc., AK needs to get anything other than crapatarland, and epcot needs a facelift in future world (imagination, energy), and maybe a ride in one of the countries (France and Remy would be good... get people more to the back of the park as well)

SirLink

I thought that it was going to be the value added version without the extensive rockwork and details found in CA and also missing RSR. Has this changed?

Yes says so in AL LUTZ's article that Burbank told TDO stop with the value engineering...someone has seen the ghosts of Christmas and has awakened. Unfortunately it is a clone

TalkingHead

And Mermaid certainly isn't RSR or Forbidden Journey. It's honestly laughable they thought the draw would the same as Carsland. It is good to know that Burbank told TDO to let WDI do their job and eat the costs. Such idiots.

Hadn't occured to me before, but I don't think I've seen any billboards for the Mermaid ride when I've been on the Turnpike, the toll roads, or I-4. Did I just overlook them?

Now I have seen billboards with the Beast that advertise "New Fantasyland," but none promoting the "major" ride that's part of the opened expansion.

Anyone know why that is? It makes me wonder if they're thinking they'll use the "New Fantasyland" billboards through the opening of the Seven Dwarfs Coaster. Maybe they didn't want people to get confused and think there's only a Mermaid ride being added?

Anyway, seems very odd to me, since you have billboards for TSMM, Everest, Monsters Laugh Floor, Nemo...

Sped2424

As much as everyone loves Carsland reading this article more than ticked me off at how execs view our park over here, apparently they think if they just reapply the same formula except cut down and budgeted down it will still somehow work. I think as our own park its time we start getting new and exciting things created specifically for our park the new fantasy land expansion is a nice start to that but I think all other new developments and projects here should be treated the same we shouldn't just get whatever Disney over in Anaheim gets and then call it a day we should get something new and innovative and not just a clone there is a reason they are separate parks you go to each one for their own retrospective experiences and signature rides. While I am glad it said they changed their minds from just bringing over a sub par carsland clone and instead wanna give it all the bells and whistles I still cant help but want something different, something that is new entirely within the pixar realm. Hopefully the president over here will make some changes to see this through but as the number one visited park in the world, which we are its time the execs stop thinking with their wallets and let those imagineers go to work.

bubbles1812

I think that SDMT is going to be much more than a D ticket... I mean come on really????
Nope. Maybe it's original design might have been but between the reduction in the length of the track, the show scenes (yeah...those were reduced by quite a few) and just overall reduction in budget for the thing, it's a D ticket tops. Like Mermaid, it might have an E ticket theming/queue but the ride itself won't be. Just look at the ride through.. You are going to get to see a lot of grass and not a lot of show. And it won't be all that long. Shorter than Thunder Mountain. Like I said... It's a kiddie coaster better than Barnstormer but a step below BTM.

djkidkaz

Hadn't occured to me before, but I don't think I've seen any billboards for the Mermaid ride when I've been on the Turnpike, the toll roads, or I-4. Did I just overlook them?

Now I have seen billboards with the Beast that advertise "New Fantasyland," but none promoting the "major" ride that's part of the opened expansion.

Anyone know why that is? It makes me wonder if they're thinking they'll use the "New Fantasyland" billboards through the opening of the Seven Dwarfs Coaster. Maybe they didn't want people to get confused and think there's only a Mermaid ride being added?

Anyway, seems very odd to me, since you have billboards for TSMM, Everest, Monsters Laugh Floor, Nemo...

There are Little Mermaid billboards all over. They don't mention the ride, but it has Ariel and says New Fantasyland.

Goofyernmost

Because you have two resorts where you need to actually grow your attendance, a BIG draw to go to DCA at the moment is Cars Land take that away and the initial growth will subside...if ya want to see it go to DCA I want something new - something innovative for the O-town parks
But to those of us that cannot experience it in DCA, it is something new and innovative to us. Someone invented the wheel, but it was only useful to those that saw it. When it finally rolled it's way to everyone else it was new and innovative to them. I don't care when it was created, I want to be a part of it, because until then it doesn't exist!

SirLink

But to those of us that cannot experience it in DCA, it is something new and innovative to us. Someone invented the wheel, but it was only useful to those that saw it. When it finally rolled it's way to everyone else it was new and innovative to them. I don't care when it was created, I want to be a part of it, because until then it doesn't exist!

Well instead of going to WDW take a break and travel west, just like when I used to go to DLPR I didn't say I want SSE at DLPR I just traveled to WDW, likewise this year I'm traveling even further west to DLR to see Cars Land.

It is not hard simply replace one trip for another...

DougK

Do you really think the Little Mermaid ride is worth a billboard? :D

Goofyernmost

Well instead of going to WDW take a break and travel west, just like when I used to go to DLPR I didn't say I want SSE at DLPR I just traveled to WDW, likewise this year I'm traveling even further west to DLR to see Cars Land.

It is not hard simply replace one trip for another...
You're right, I am retired, on a fixed income. I suppose that I can hop a plane and fly 3000 miles to California just as inexpensively as I can jump in my car and drive 600 miles to Florida. Sometimes what one would like to do and what one can do are two different things, but as soon as I win Power Ball, I'll be sure to head on out west. I'm happy for you that you are in that position.

In the meantime, if you can't bring Mohammad to the mountain, bring the mountain to Mohammad.

hiptwinmama

You're right, I am retired, on a fixed income. I suppose that I can hop a plane and fly 3000 miles to California just as inexpensively as I can jump in my car and drive 600 miles to Florida. Sometimes what one would like to do and what one can do are two different things, but as soon as I win Power Ball, I'll be sure to head on out west. I'm happy for you that you are in that position.

In the meantime, if you can't bring Mohammad to the mountain, bring the mountain to Mohammad.

Seriously... enough with the telling us east coasters that we need to pack up the family, and spend $2-$3K to fly our family to DL. Some of us have budgets. I can drive to FL for $120 bucks, or fly my family to CA for $2500. I am sure I am not the only one hear who feels this way. Carsland will do great at DHS

Animaniac93-98

I still believe CircusLand is what killed the FLE. No one even talks about it. Had the entire area been used for the FLE, you'd have a much grander expansion and many more things to offer. Doing CircusLand on the cheap (and trying to base a whole land on a spinner and a previously successful retail location) has seriously diminished what they were trying to accomplish with the FLE.

I agree with this, though I feel it was right to re-do Dumbo and keep the Barnstomer and RR station (which was the one thing that was 100%, unquestinably improved).

When you realize the northern half of the land was at one point to get a new ride (a variation of Mater's spinner) and better theming (even if based on the Faries), it's really easy to be annoyed at all that space being devoted to a retail location, a M&G tent and...sitting space.

Personally, I would have put an Aladdin dark ride there with some Arabian caravan tents facing the circus (to blend in on one side) and a desert mountain scape extending from the Mermaid building for the other. You could then relocated the Aladdin group there and ditch the spinner in AL, plus have another new ride and something more gender neutral (or "boyish") in FL. Just some random fanboi thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom