Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

Longhairbear

Well that's the point. One isn't supposed to spend more than a week at the Disneyland Resort, and even a week is a little too long. Disneyland is an attraction, California is the destination.
I agree.
We spent Sunday to Tuesday at DLR, staying at VGC in a studio overlooking WOC. We took the long way from Palm Springs to Anaheim, driving the back roads instead of the freeway. We passed through dairy farms, and rodeo ranches. Gorgeous canyons, open fields, and huge vistas of snow capped mountains. We liked it so much, we drove home following the same route.
As for the Al Lutz post, we didn't see it until we got home Tuesday afternoon. Funny thing, we had dinner at Carthay Circle and were seated next to Yesterland's Werner Weiss, and someone from Miceage/Micechat. Micechat guy said something about an entire budget being dropped, that's when we started to eavesdrop. After reading the Lutz column, I'm thinking he meant Avatar, or Marvel.
A thought about Luigi's Tires, we rode that attraction on Sunday night to great success. We zoomed across the floor at a great speed because all the other tires were bunched up on one end. They need to take out half of the tires to make this work well. Al mentioned interactive queues being obsolete already, as most do single rider queue while staring at their IPhones. I can attest to that being perfectly true from what we witnessed in the single rider line at RSR.
My final thought on the Lutz article, is that we came away with the smallest inkling of a thought. DLR is going rogue without a care to who Iger is, or what he wants.

TP2000

A thought about Luigi's Tires, we rode that attraction on Sunday night to great success. We zoomed across the floor at a great speed because all the other tires were bunched up on one end. They need to take out half of the tires to make this work well. Al mentioned interactive queues being obsolete already, as most do single rider queue while staring at their IPhones. I can attest to that being perfectly true from what we witnessed in the single rider line at RSR.
My final thought on the Lutz article, is that we came away with the smallest inkling of a thought. DLR is going rogue without a care to who Iger is, or what he wants.

I've noticed the iPhone/Android/iPad thing in queues lately too. Everyone is just staring at their phones or iPad, ignoring the people and things around them. Interactive queues dreamed up three years ago as part of MyMagic+ are already obsolete. The real content people want to be engaged with is on their phone, not coming from a talking shrimp on a video screen in the Little Mermaid Standby queue.

And I like the "Disneyland is going rogue" suggestion. It is interesting to me how different Disneyland's operation has become compared to WDW's scene and operation. The two properties are becoming quite different, even while the dumb One Disney thing makes sure they have the same popcorn buckets.

Longhairbear

I've noticed the iPhone/Android/iPad thing in queues lately too. Everyone is just staring at their phones or iPad, ignoring the people and things around them. Interactive queues dreamed up three years ago as part of MyMagic+ are already obsolete. The real content people want to be engaged with is on their phone, not coming from a talking shrimp on a video screen in the Little Mermaid Standby queue.

And I like the "Disneyland is going rogue" suggestion. It is interesting to me how different Disneyland's operation has become compared to WDW's scene and operation. The two properties are becoming quite different, even while the dumb One Disney thing makes sure they have the same popcorn buckets.
May I make another observation?
Many, many CM males were sporting mustaches,beards that actually enhanced the various attractions. On Indy, a CM walking to his post was asked to pose for a picture, and they yelled out to him as "Indy". A fully bearded CM on "Mermaid" queue looked totally in character as a seaman in his park uniform. Conversely, we saw female CMs do their hair and make up to match the attraction they were manning. We saw retro styles on them, but more so on the men waiting tables at the Carthay Circle. We commented to the CM that waited on us at Trader Sam's. He was not aware of any uniform requirement of males waiting tables at Carthay Circle to sport Brylcream hairstyles. We noticed they all had short black hair, or longer combed back, perfect parts,impeccably groomed hair, combed to perfection. Mandated, or if it were something the CMs came up with on their own. Whatever, it set the ambiance perfectly.

Jane Doe

I've noticed the iPhone/Android/iPad thing in queues lately too. Everyone is just staring at their phones or iPad, ignoring the people and things around them .

When we took our position for the castle projection show last week the woman next to us decided to record the entire spectacle on her iPad whilst holding it directly in front of her face, so she was essentially watching the show on TV.

alphac2005

Peter Pan's Flight is the oldest looking piece of $#!& in any of the parks. Yeah, I know that's harsh but it needed an upgrade 20 years ago. It has World of Motion era animatronics, and if it wasn't for the ride vehicles/system it wouldn't be fit to be in a six flags. It is the most overrated attraction in all of Walt Disney World.

If you want to complain about Mermaid, complain about all the stuff that's already broken (or just never turned on), but to compare it to a ride that looks it's age like Pan just screams of snorting the nostalgic pixie dust.

Don't insult the World of Motion animatronics. :) Seriously, though, I've never understood why Peter Pan is ridiculously crowded. It's a simple dark ride with a fun ride system, that's it. It's a short ride and is virtually static with black lighting. How it consistently has a line that rivals any of the longest in park is beyond me.

alphac2005

BINGO. Walk into a Target, people are pushing carts and staring at a tiny screen. Dine and watch people with everyone at their table, they're all staring at whatever device and not talking. Theme parks, same deal. You've hit on something really true and big.

When we were down at UNI a few weeks back, my wife and I laughed with the sheer stupidity that people have and how they can't get away from staring at the screen. We went by several groups and it went like this: Someone took a picture on their phone of something like two seconds back, then tells everyone, "OMG! Look at this picture, look at what I got!!" Yup, they then stopped dead in their tracks, oblivious to anyone around, and the whole group had to stare at the picture of something they JUST saw! It was unreal and we saw it happen many times.

What's the point of going anywhere and doing anything if you're just going to stare at your mobile device the whole time? I'm sure that any of our psychology friends on the board will let us know that we're dealing something here in the realm of addiction and narcissism.

Goofyernmost

Then wouldn't it be better all around if they just made great, unique attractions for each resort? I think a huge reason people are excited for Cars Land to come to Florida is because WDW hasn't been creating attractions of their own of that caliber, and it is easier to point at something that already exists instead of waiting for TDO to work up something of their own. I guarantee you would be worrying less about missing out on Cars Land if WDW was creating its own unique, equally, if not more exciting attractions. Really, shouldn't Imagineering always be trying to outdo itself?

Perhaps from a business perspective it costs less, but I find cloning to be a gross habit. Make new things!

If WDW was creating its own awesome original attractions, no one would use the word "settle".
Of course it would be better, but that ain't happenin, is it? It's not going to happen for a very long period of time. In spite of Disney's overall success it isn't a bottomless pit. A billion here a billion there, before you know it you're talking about a lot of money. If both coasts can be host to like attractions (clone, if you will) at a cost that Disney is willing to spend, at least do that.

If it helps, I'd be willing give up one of our "copies" and replace it with Carsland. Captian EO can be all your's! It's a major sacrifice on my part, but I'm willing to make it for the benefit of the masses.

articos

The real content people want to be engaged with is on their phone, not coming from a talking shrimp on a video screen in the Little Mermaid Standby queue.
Gosh I hope not. At least not everyone. Yet.

I truly hope people will put their phones down and enjoy the ambiance of the parks, even if only for a bit. On one hand, the interactive queues help to engage people with the surroundings, but on the other hand, they slow the lines down and can be kind of dumb. It's hard to win sometimes.:cool: Regardless, I know that phones are simply part of today's world, but take some time and enjoy the World.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
None. She's a studio head – nothing more.

Disney now owns Lucasfilm, so they can do whatever they want, with or without her input.

Lasseter, on the other hand, is Principal Creative Advisor for Imagineering (whatever that's worth).

That really depends on the political relationships more then anything else.

DocMcHulk

I haven't read this complete thread because I don't have time with all that is going on and I'm focusing on what I find important ... but I am about ready to call Avatar DOA (which also means Joe Rohde will be looking for a job).
Why would Rohde be looking for a job? Avatar was rammed down his throat.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What I don't understand is why it is so important that attractions aren't in two places. Why would it possibly matter to you. There are many other attractions that are specific Park related, they don't all need to be. The bigger, more popular ones should be shared. No one is complaining about Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Small World, Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, Soarin or ToT or many of the others that are also featured in DL and in WDW. It's hardly precedent setting.
Buuutttt.... most of those attractions are very different to the others. Some are the same only in name and theme.

Beholder

@alphac2005 Yes, you're 100% correct on the narcissism and addiction part! I know next to nothing about clinical psychology, but it has to be narcissism that draws peope into the whole social networking thing with such relentless seduction. I hear "wow, I got like 10 likes!" or "check my pic, aren't I cute?!" It's a bit disturbing to me how an entire world of experience just simply eludes those who would rather be pandered to or have some inadequacy temporarily bolstered by their 2000+ "friends".

lebeau

Peter Pan's Flight is the oldest looking piece of $#!& in any of the parks. Yeah, I know that's harsh but it needed an upgrade 20 years ago. It has World of Motion era animatronics, and if it wasn't for the ride vehicles/system it wouldn't be fit to be in a six flags. It is the most overrated attraction in all of Walt Disney World.

Winnie the Pooh has low function animatronics as well, and while the movement of the vehicles is a cool effect it's still not the same level of attraction as The Seas With Nemo and Friends, let alone Little Mermaid.

I don't understand fanbois. They complain about screens, and demand more animatronic driven rides. Then when an attraction has the 10 best animatronics in that park outside of Pirates of the Caribbean and Stitch's Great Escape. Journey of the Little Mermaid isn't a revolutionary ride, it's not an E-ticket, and it will never be on par with Forbidden Journey, but it is the best ride in Fantasyland.

As for the plot of the ride, is it any less "muddled" or accelerated than Peter Pan's Flight? It's a 6 minute dark ride attempting to tell the story of a 90 minute movie. Stop focusing on what you (and others) view as the failures of Little Mermaid, that it failed to tell the entire story of the movie. There has never been a Disney dark ride that has successfully done this without taking some liberties. Yes, there isn't an epic battle between Triton and Ursula at the end of the ride - but how is everyone waiving at the end of Mermaid any different than Peter Pan smiling at the wheel of the ship? Aren't those animatronics plasticy looking too? At least the mermaid ones have fluid motion.

If you want to complain about Mermaid, complain about all the stuff that's already broken (or just never turned on), but to compare it to a ride that looks it's age like Pan just screams of snorting the nostalgic pixie dust.

You make some good points. And yet, I completely disagree.

Yes, Peter Pan looks really old. It definitely needs some TLC. JotLM is more advanced technologically as is Nemo. In spit of those facts, Pan has a charm the more advanced rides lack.

And it's not nostalgia. At least not for everyone. I have two little girls who had never ridden Pan before. They like Pan, but the love Nemo and Ariel. Every member of our party preferred Pan to the other two rides despite its noticeable flaws.

You can't just point to superior AA's and declare JotLM and Nemo to be better rides. The superior tech has been used to a lesser effect. I suspect in the case of Mermaid, they could probably accomplish quite a bit by turning down the lights a little in their "dark" ride. But regardless, there's an intangible thing that makes Pan more enjoyable (to many) in spite of lesser effects.

Clowd Nyne

IMO. I think Carsland will be great in DHS. I have a family of 5 and a modest income. It costs 2x for us to go to California than it does to go to WDW. I welcome the idea. Plus there is plenty to do in WDW that isn't offered out west. So I don't mind the DLR greatest hits being added to the east side.

71jason

Disney now owns Lucasfilm, so they can do whatever they want, with or without her input.

In fairness, if you ever visited the Star Wars Weekends merch shop or (shudder) stood through the Hyperspace Hoopla, it would be obvious LucasFilm didn't really care what Disney did with the characters even when they owned them. George Lucas is not JK Rowling.

That's why I don't understand how fanbois are convinced buying TWDC buying Lucas = automatic Star Wars expansion. Buying the rights to simply expand what they have in the parks would have been a lot cheaper.

alphac2005

Gosh I hope not. At least not everyone. Yet.

I truly hope people will put their phones down and enjoy the ambiance of the parks, even if only for a bit. On one hand, the interactive queues help to engage people with the surroundings, but on the other hand, they slow the lines down and can be kind of dumb. It's hard to win sometimes.:cool: Regardless, I know that phones are simply part of today's world, but take some time and enjoy the World.

While people are staring at their phones, the whole world passes them by and they don't even see it.

Goofyernmost

Buuutttt.... most of those attractions are very different to the others. Some are the same only in name and theme.
So you're saying that you think that there is even the slightest chance that Carsland will not be short changed for it's illegitimate cousin here in Florida? That would be nice!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom