Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

Disneyhead'71

So will nothing happen to the BLT if the plans for Carsland now get green lit? Cause no one seems to be saying that it would go as a result of this, just LMA. I would like to see that go just as much as LMA! but IMHO they both need to go; that way they can have at least some space to work with there and make it as full scale as possible. Since they ain't gonna put in Luigi's in this case, at least it opens the possibility at the very least to put in the MI Coaster/Dark ride that's been long rumored to go along with RSR and MJJ in this expansion.
A full Cars Land would take the BLT and LMA out.

Genie of the Lamp

Peter Pan is a nice ride that needs a serious refurb/update pronto (It's 41-42 years old and hasn't recieved at least one SIGNIFICANT update to date). That would be hard to do given the such high demand for this attraction and the nostalgia/classic ride bs fanboi's like Lou Mongello would argue. TMAOWTP is a very nicely themed ride/que however the predecessor to this attraction definitely seemed to be a lot more fun and well recieved/liked. UTSJOTHLM has it's pros and cons but definitely aint the best Fantasyland ride currently or in the future as it looks like 7DMT will make a shot at overtaking PP for best Fantasyland ride or at the very least Dumbo in terms of popularity. Back to Carsland, would Kathy Magnum get the lead on this project since she moved and got reassigned to her new post here in WDW and did the original out in DCA? Would all the same people who worked on the original project just come to DHS and work on it there? I'm guessing she and her crew definitely would since it is such an acclaimed success.

Disneyhead'71

I don't like all this initial stuff... ats TML... and peter pan is old, moldy, and tired
pooh was a pointless and unnecessary addition
Peter Pan does need a good refurb. And while I loathe the Pooh ride, I think it is better executed than UTS:JotLM. By the way what's up with the super long attraction names? Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid, Expedition Everest: Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, Stitch's Great Escape: Fun as a Root Canal.

Alien

Peter Pan does need a good refurb. And while I loathe the Pooh ride, I think it is better executed than UTS:JotLM. By the way what's up with the super long attraction names? Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid, Expedition Everest: Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, Stitch's Great Escape: Fun as a Root Canal.
haha like that

Ignohippo

And I do think that TDO staged opening was a plan to get the same family to return 3 times to see the new stuff as it opens. 2012 for Ariel/Belle, 2013 for Princess Fairy Tale Hall, and 2014 for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. I can Imagine only the most Pixie Dust Addled Mind would consider doing that.

That's exactly it. It was an attempt to keep people coming back and keep Florida residents renewing those Annual Passes year after year. Their greed backfired.

Goofyernmost

lets face it, the fantasy land expansion is a bust
huge wasted opportunity
poorly planned, poorly executed
themed towards the toddler age group
double dumbo ride with a huge waiting area waste of space
meet and greet with yet again the fab 5 instead of the black and white vintage characters (pete,steamboat willie, etc)
belle's house is a big yawn event for toddlers only
little mermaid ride for toddlers and very boring - just an updated snow white's scary adventure
nothing at all done in the FLE to make me say YES, the place to go again and again

why no villain themed adult roller coaster? why no villain anything?
When is it that Fantasyland wasn't designed for toddlers. Not everything at Disney is solely designed for adults. Give the poor kids something. However, to counter balance that, they put alcohol in BOG. Helps all the grown ups get past the boredom.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
lets face it, the fantasy land expansion is a bust
huge wasted opportunity
poorly planned, poorly executed
themed towards the toddler age group
double dumbo ride with a huge waiting area waste of space
meet and greet with yet again the fab 5 instead of the black and white vintage characters (pete,steamboat willie, etc)
belle's house is a big yawn event for toddlers only
little mermaid ride for toddlers and very boring - just an updated snow white's scary adventure
nothing at all done in the FLE to make me say YES, the place to go again and again

why no villain themed adult roller coaster? why no villain anything?

I have to disagree with the Dumbo waiting area. It is great for little ones. I might be biased though because my kids are a toddler and a preschoolers but other wise there is nothing including the new Dumbo that makes me want to buy tickets just to see New Fantasyland. WDW hasn't put in anything since Everest that I've been dying to try.

RunnerEd

I would love a clone of RSR but am not really as interested in a full Cars Land. From seeing videos of the attraction, Radiator Springs is created inside anyway. I think RSR would be a great centerpiece/weenie for a fully imagined Pixar Place with attractions from the huge Pixar library. I say that without having personally seeing Cars Land and may change my mind after early July when I do.

The Pandora budget was reportedly to be between $500 and $600 million. If it doesn't happen, I hope they take 1/2 to 2/3 of that money and spend it on the Animal Kingdom. Fix the Yeti. Add a continent; I don't care which, just pick one and build it as nice as the other two. Bulldoze Chester and Hester, build out Dino Land and maybe add a night time show.

lazyboy97o

When is it that Fantasyland wasn't designed for toddlers. Not everything at Disney is solely designed for adults. Give the poor kids something. However, to counter balance that, they put alcohol in BOG. Helps all the grown ups get past the boredom.
Fantasyland was never geared towards toddlers. Such a focus is the antithesis of what sparked Disneyland.

Ignohippo

For the record, I live in the Northeast, not exactly right next to Orlando. Still, for 99.8% of the people here, "going to Disney" means going to WDW and that's it. The idea that cloning rides in general (or RSR in particular) is going to substantially cannibalize people from another Disney resort is IMHO completely laughable.

As much as I want it closer to me (we won't be able to afford to visit Cali anytime soon), it's complete stupidity for them to clone it at WDW and cannibalize their own park. CarsLand is the type of expansion you plan a vacation around. The numbers at DCA will fall drastically if they do this.

IMO, the perfect answer would be an INDY Speedway, drive yourself around the world-type attraction at DHS. You could keep LMA (as it fits with the theme) AND it would make the Indy Speedway expendable as well as being a unique experience to WDW. Lots of $$$ would be saved, so that money could be also used to expand Pixar Place.

Ignohippo

Funny, but the FLE could have had the same results as CarsLand. They shouldn't have shied away from building an expansion centered on girls. If you're going to do something, go all the way. Be unapologetic about it. Bippity Boppity Boutique has been an enormous success and they could have had an entire area with that kind of appeal.

The problem is, they tried to make it a place for everyone and completely lost focus. Now, it appeals a little bit to everyone but doesn't make anyone feel as though they have to plan a vacation because of it. Build a FLE that is the ultimate experience for girls – there's plenty on the way for boys (Star Wars, CarsLand, Avatar, etc.).

A really fantastic FLE that's totally immersive in the "Princess experience" would make families with little girls plan vacations around it. It would be the type of thing little girls would dream about. It would be something that no other park could compete with.

(btw, I only have boys)...

Rodan75

I don't think FLE is a bust, was there 2 weeks ago, I think it is a great first step and 7dmt will help flesh out the land and be a nice age appropriate area...but I agree it won't drive attendance. It is just table stakes.

I agree I am not a fan of cloning, but I see the pros and DHS needs support.

On the flipside....for all of the fanboi swooning at USF and IOA...how long did they leave those parks for dead? 10 and 15 years? USF needs these enhancements or it risked dying completely. WWOHP is a wonderful, now fix the rest of IoA.

Hopefully TWDC starts taking the threat from UO and the other Orlando Metro attractions seriously. I have faith they will.

msteel

Seriously... enough with the telling us east coasters that we need to pack up the family, and spend $2-$3K to fly our family to DL. Some of us have budgets. I can drive to FL for $120 bucks, or fly my family to CA for $2500. I am sure I am not the only one hear who feels this way. Carsland will do great at DHS

I am with you here. Today it would cost me about $170 to drive my group of 7 to WDW and back. And don't anybody give me the line about "just save up another year" because we don't go to WDW every year.

RSoxNo1

How about also Peter Pan? Winnie the Pooh? Seriously, what attraction in Fantasyland is worse than JotLM with its bright colors & cheap plastic feel (reminds me of the old front displays at Disney mall stores), already non-functional animatronics, overbearing lighting (great for seeing all the duct work on the ceiling), and lack of intimacy (something that's almost a given on a dark ride). Let's not forget the completely muddled plot. (Is Ursula a 'good' or 'bad' witch?) Obviously they didn't want to scare JotLM target audience of 5-year-old girls so they turned up the lights and completely eliminated all threatening aspects of Ursula.

JotLM is a mess. Nice queue though.
Peter Pan's Flight is the oldest looking piece of $#!& in any of the parks. Yeah, I know that's harsh but it needed an upgrade 20 years ago. It has World of Motion era animatronics, and if it wasn't for the ride vehicles/system it wouldn't be fit to be in a six flags. It is the most overrated attraction in all of Walt Disney World.

Winnie the Pooh has low function animatronics as well, and while the movement of the vehicles is a cool effect it's still not the same level of attraction as The Seas With Nemo and Friends, let alone Little Mermaid.

I don't understand fanbois. They complain about screens, and demand more animatronic driven rides. Then when an attraction has the 10 best animatronics in that park outside of Pirates of the Caribbean and Stitch's Great Escape. Journey of the Little Mermaid isn't a revolutionary ride, it's not an E-ticket, and it will never be on par with Forbidden Journey, but it is the best ride in Fantasyland.

As for the plot of the ride, is it any less "muddled" or accelerated than Peter Pan's Flight? It's a 6 minute dark ride attempting to tell the story of a 90 minute movie. Stop focusing on what you (and others) view as the failures of Little Mermaid, that it failed to tell the entire story of the movie. There has never been a Disney dark ride that has successfully done this without taking some liberties. Yes, there isn't an epic battle between Triton and Ursula at the end of the ride - but how is everyone waiving at the end of Mermaid any different than Peter Pan smiling at the wheel of the ship? Aren't those animatronics plasticy looking too? At least the mermaid ones have fluid motion.

If you want to complain about Mermaid, complain about all the stuff that's already broken (or just never turned on), but to compare it to a ride that looks it's age like Pan just screams of snorting the nostalgic pixie dust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom