Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

rle4lunch

The travel barrier still exists.. people back east still in large stay on the east coast or carribean. There is nothing like Yosimite, or the Grand Canyon out here.. yet most never go see it... but still make annual vacations. Or ski in Pennsylvania or NY instead of going to CO or WY.

Skiing in NY or PA is like skiing in Nebraska compared to CO or UT or northern CA.

ExtinctJenn

The travel barrier still exists.. people back east still in large stay on the east coast or carribean. There is nothing like Yosimite, or the Grand Canyon out here.. yet most never go see it... but still make annual vacations. Or ski in Pennsylvania or NY instead of going to CO or WY.
This is so true. I've lived up and down the East Coast my entire life and on all my vacations have never ventured West. The biggest reason is cost. I can drive to WDW in under 9 hours on not much gas (Mini Cooper). Airfare out West is insanely expensive per person. Ultimately going up and down the East Coast is more financially feasible for us, and I'm sure many folks. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to, but the idea of some things being repeated on both coasts appeals to me for that reason.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't insult the World of Motion animatronics. :) Seriously, though, I've never understood why Peter Pan is ridiculously crowded. It's a simple dark ride with a fun ride system, that's it. It's a short ride and is virtually static with black lighting. How it consistently has a line that rivals any of the longest in park is beyond me.

because it's a concept based on heart and character.. the scenes and emotions resonates with the guest, and are accessible for those who haven't even seen the film. It's adored because it works WITHOUT relying on technology (that gets outdated) or thrill (that gets outclassed). It's like a good book.. its still good because it didn't rely on dated things to make it good.

Buried20KLeague

Which is sad, because I think the barrier is mostly mental. As long as you're not driving to your destination, of course.

If you're getting on a plane, you're getting on a plane. Sure, cost is a factor... But the benefit of seeing these other places is completely worth it, IMHO.

lebeau

Regarding the FLE not increasing attendence, I'm in the camp that believes it's premature to make any assessments until the 7DMT is done. Now, mind you, I don't think the FLE is going to have much of an impact, if any, in driving attendence. But anyone who considers the FLE to be something that specifically is bringing them to WDW is goign to wait until the 7DMT (and Fairytale Hall) is completed. If you are making it a point to visit something new, wouldn't you wait until it is finished?

They had a grand opening. They already advertised a new Fantasyland all over the place. When 7 Dwarfs opens over a year later, they can't advertise, "No really. New Fantasyland."

Sure, there are a few people who may be planning specific trips for 2014 based on the completion of Fantasyland. But I can't imagine that is a large number of the population.

Anecdote: A co-worker was leaving for a weekend at WDW. He is a casual tourist and asked me if I knew anything about the new Fantasyland. I told him I did and that I had been there myself. His question was typical of casual tourists. He wanted to know if it was "only in the Magic Kingdom". I guess he thought it might be 5th gate or something. I confirmed it was only an addition to the existing land in MK. When he came back, he said his family had a good time. But only one ride was working in the new Fantasyland.

This is how the majority of tourists think. If they are aware of the new Fantasyland at all, they expect it to be done and are disappointed that it only includes one new ride. A ride that I have yet to hear anyone (even Mermaid fans) praise on any level.

So, no. I don't think it is premature at all.

Pixiedustmaker

Original Poster
Not sure where you are but in North Florida they marketed it very aggressively. IMHO the bottom line there just isn't enough "meat" in the new area to drive business. I have been to it 3 times now and the detail is very good but nothing to do.

I don't think that marketing FLE will improve the hotel bookings/attendance as Mermaid, despite its detailed queue (which sort of advertises a different type of ride), Mermaid is still a clone of an only moderately popular ride in DCA which was kinda built on the cheap given that both rides costed around $100 million total, meaning about $50 million a piece. Though obviously the budget numbers are secret, if Toy Story Mania in DCA is about $40 million, (and it had a whole new ride vehicle developed, plus Potato Head and new ride tech with the videos games), no way Mermaid costed $100 million given that outside of some advanced AA's, everything else is dirt cheap . . . cheap plastic fish decorations, cheap to re-use an omnimover system . . . and screens for three scenes (Ariel above your head, Ariel gets her feet, Ariel gets her voice back).

If Mermaid used a totally new ride system, and had immersive amazing sets, then I think it could have pulled in guests, in terms of upping bookings for FLE.

alphac2005

because it's a concept based on heart and character.. the scenes and emotions resonates with the guest, and are accessible for those who haven't even seen the film. It's adored because it works WITHOUT relying on technology (that gets outdated) or thrill (that gets outclasses). It's like a good book.. its still good because it didn't rely on dated things to make it good.

Most of the people that I've been with (adults and children alike) haven't been emotionally tied to the show scenes, rather it's always the sense that the ride is cool because of the "flying" vehicles. They ought to get your memo about the technology at TDO.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Sure, there are a few people who may be planning specific trips for 2014 based on the completion of Fantasyland. But I can't imagine that is a large number of the population.

Im off work this week and was watching business news on CNBC, its ideal for those who like to be entertained rather than swamped with too many hard facts, and one of the ists between gushing over Disneys performance was highlighting how great the parks were doing, especially domestic parks because of all the brand new cutting edge attractions Disney had opened. I guess gambling with other folks money dulls the ability to define cutting edge or infact high attendance. For a business news item it sounded very propaganda like to me.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Why not come up with something different? I understand the philosophy of split costs but by having different rides in each park from here on would give incentive to visit each park.

SoupBone

because it's a concept based on heart and character.. the scenes and emotions resonates with the guest, and are accessible for those who haven't even seen the film. It's adored because it works WITHOUT relying on technology (that gets outdated) or thrill (that gets outclasses). It's like a good book.. its still good because it didn't rely on dated things to make it good.

Very well put. I love the ride mechanics and the feel of flying around the UK without CGI or newer ride technology. They really designed this ride for longevity, and I don't think it will ever get stale. I've been going to WDW for many years, and I always find something new when I ride Peter Pan. Plus, who doesn't love that story?

lebeau

Which is sad, because I think the barrier is mostly mental. As long as you're not driving to your destination, of course.

If you're getting on a plane, you're getting on a plane. Sure, cost is a factor... But the benefit of seeing these other places is completely worth it, IMHO.

It depends greatly on your situation. Coming out of Cincinnati/Northern KY with a family of 4, airfare to CA costs about another $1,000 to $2,000 depending. It's roughly half the cost of our trip! Not to mention the difference in travel time - which is huge with small children.

The travel barrier is mental for some. But it's very real for a lot of us. Otherwise, believe me, we'd have visited DL by now.

dupac

Most of the people that I've been with (adults and children alike) haven't been emotionally tied to the show scenes, rather it's always the sense that the ride is cool because of the "flying" vehicles. They ought to get your memo about the technology at TDO.

I know that's why my family rides it. There's something about looking down on the sets...

lebeau

I think that word is being used loosely if you ask me. :D

Point taken. But then, Disney abuses the English language (or American as the case may be) reguarily.

"Magical" Opening, maybe?

I dunno. Point is they have already opened the place about a dozen times. I don't think one more opening (magical, grand or otherwise) is going to make much of a difference in attendance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom