Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

CheekBoys

Be
Don't insult the World of Motion animatronics. :) Seriously, though, I've never understood why Peter Pan is ridiculously crowded. It's a simple dark ride with a fun ride system, that's it. It's a short ride and is virtually static with black lighting. How it consistently has a line that rivals any of the longest in park is beyond me.
because fastpass slows all lines down.

Goofyernmost

Be
because fastpass slows all lines down.
Peter Pan had a long line when FastPass didn't exist.
That last statement is true. It was without a doubt (not counting 20K) the longest line. It wasn't, however, the slowest line. Basically each ship only holds two people, but since it was continuous motion, the line continuously moved. I never minded a long line that kept moving. Fastpass only served to make a long line physically, move painfully slow increasing time in line.

I know, I know...it still takes the same amount of people per hour, just from two lines instead of one. What everyone seems to forget is that those people in the fastpass line could just as easily been behind you in regular line as in front of you without FP. It depends on when they got there.

Prototype82

I think if they advertised the offerings of FLE as specifically and aggressively as Wizarding World did, it might be different. WWOHP was practiacally shoved down our throats in the media. I've had too many conversations with people who either had no idea that there was an expansion or just said "oh yeah, I heard there was something new there."

evilzorac

I think if they advertised the offerings of FLE as specifically and aggressively as Wizarding World did, it might be different. WWOHP was practiacally shoved down our throats in the media. I've had too many conversations with people who either had no idea that there was an expansion or just said "oh yeah, I heard there was something new there."
Not sure where you are but in North Florida they marketed it very aggressively. IMHO the bottom line there just isn't enough "meat" in the new area to drive business. I have been to it 3 times now and the detail is very good but nothing to do.

Californian Elitist

I agree.
We spent Sunday to Tuesday at DLR, staying at VGC in a studio overlooking WOC. We took the long way from Palm Springs to Anaheim, driving the back roads instead of the freeway. We passed through dairy farms, and rodeo ranches. Gorgeous canyons, open fields, and huge vistas of snow capped mountains. We liked it so much, we drove home following the same route.
As for the Al Lutz post, we didn't see it until we got home Tuesday afternoon. Funny thing, we had dinner at Carthay Circle and were seated next to Yesterland's Werner Weiss, and someone from Miceage/Micechat. Micechat guy said something about an entire budget being dropped, that's when we started to eavesdrop. After reading the Lutz column, I'm thinking he meant Avatar, or Marvel.
A thought about Luigi's Tires, we rode that attraction on Sunday night to great success. We zoomed across the floor at a great speed because all the other tires were bunched up on one end. They need to take out half of the tires to make this work well. Al mentioned interactive queues being obsolete already, as most do single rider queue while staring at their IPhones. I can attest to that being perfectly true from what we witnessed in the single rider line at RSR.
My final thought on the Lutz article, is that we came away with the smallest inkling of a thought. DLR is going rogue without a care to who Iger is, or what he wants.

I'm glad your trip was a success! I definitely would have eavesdropped on that conversation, too. Disney will look seriously bad if they cancel Avatar. SMH.

Perfect example in your experience. There are so many things to see here. Mountains, deserts, valleys, oceans... Seriously, in California, you can go surfing, hiking and skiing or snowboarding all in one day.

twebber55

Not sure where you are but in North Florida they marketed it very aggressively. IMHO the bottom line there just isn't enough "meat" in the new area to drive business. I have been to it 3 times now and the detail is very good but nothing to do.
totally agree..its hard to get excited for a project where the main attraction is a big ol crane in the middle of it... regardless what you want to label the 7DMT

Mike C

How badly did Disney overestimate the crowds? I knew they had blacked out Magic Kingdom from the "maingate pass" system that cast members can use until Feb, but then lifted the restriction early last month, most likely because the crowds weren't as much as expected, this article just seems to back that idea up.

lazyboy97o

How much say does a Kathleen Kennedy, Ike or Lasseter have when it comes to theme park attractions/lands based ok their divisions IP.
Kennedy, I think little to none.

Ike I think has a good bit because he was well invested in Marvel, which became Disney stock. If he started to make noise it would be bad for Disney. I honestly think Marvel has played a big role in holding up their properties from appearing in the parks. We haven't even seen any meet and greets, much less attractions.

Lasseter has influence because buying Pixar was very much about getting him back, and that deal cost billions.

I've noticed the iPhone/Android/iPad thing in queues lately too. Everyone is just staring at their phones or iPad, ignoring the people and things around them. Interactive queues dreamed up three years ago as part of MyMagic+ are already obsolete. The real content people want to be engaged with is on their phone, not coming from a talking shrimp on a video screen in the Little Mermaid Standby queue.
I wonder how much of this is lack of interest versus boredom due to over familiarity. Even the interactive queues don't change too much visit to visit.

doctornick

Buuutttt.... most of those attractions are very different to the others. Some are the same only in name and theme.

And what if a RSR in DHS isn't an exact clone but a similar themed attraction much like Pirates/ToT/HM/etc? What if the track layout is different or the town scenes are modified?

I'm not saying that is going to happen -- if fact, I don't think it would be -- but if it did, would that satisfy the anti-clone crowd? Personally, I think that's the best option because a ride/experience of RSR's calibre should be cloned to WDW, but it's great to have some variation between different versions.

phi2134

I have a feeling TDO realized they made a big ooooops with FLE back when they decided to add the SDMT instead of having another M&G there, but it was too late to go back on their plan. They had all these M&Gs and after all was done they needed another ride to draw people in, but too little too late and the timing of the opening of SDMT has been a big let down for people.

doctornick

Regarding the FLE not increasing attendence, I'm in the camp that believes it's premature to make any assessments until the 7DMT is done. Now, mind you, I don't think the FLE is going to have much of an impact, if any, in driving attendence. But anyone who considers the FLE to be something that specifically is bringing them to WDW is goign to wait until the 7DMT (and Fairytale Hall) is completed. If you are making it a point to visit something new, wouldn't you wait until it is finished?

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be honest, I'm suprised Al Lutz is still able to get this kinda insider info considering George is going to WDW and now with Mr.Baxter gone he will really have to dig deep to pull this stuff up. I'm sure he has some less respectable sources out there.:p Or he can do what he's been doing for the last few months and just copy Mr.Spirit's thoughts/info on the 411 for Disney.

he's had sources long before George K came to town.. and Baxter isn't his source for daily DLR operations stuff either. Think a tad...

hiptwinmama

Regarding the FLE not increasing attendence, I'm in the camp that believes it's premature to make any assessments until the 7DMT is done. Now, mind you, I don't think the FLE is going to have much of an impact, if any, in driving attendence. But anyone who considers the FLE to be something that specifically is bringing them to WDW is goign to wait until the 7DMT (and Fairytale Hall) is completed. If you are making it a point to visit something new, wouldn't you wait until it is finished?

If we didn't go on a specific date for my kids b-day, we would have waited.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't disagree... But I believe it's a "chicken or the egg" scenario. Are there similar rides on each coast because people generally don't visit both, or do people generally not visit both because there are similar rides on each coast?

In the 60's it was a huge deal to cross the country... It's not anymore.

The travel barrier still exists.. people back east still in large stay on the east coast or carribean. There is nothing like Yosimite, or the Grand Canyon out here.. yet most never go see it... but still make annual vacations. Or ski in Pennsylvania or NY instead of going to CO or WY.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom