AK worker injured

EPCOT.nut

It took me time, but I'm used to it now. I cross in a relatively small vessel, so I feel it worse. My friends recommend at least a 30 foot vessel... I cross usually in a 26 footer, so I leave first thing in the morning when the water's smooth and go as fast as I can. If I can make it to St. Thomas before the water gets nasty, I'm set... otherwise, it's going to be a long morning. The water has been so bad before that I've arrived with tears in my eyes.

Usually, I leave Fajardo (east PR) at 6am, and I'm in St. Thomas bt 7am. Stop for cheap fuel and breakfast, then onward to Tortola/Virgin Gorda with a stop in Jost Van beforehand to go through customs/immigration quickly and painlessly. If all works well, I'm docked and unloaded in Tortola/Virgin Gorda by 9am.

That's niiiiice.

:hurl:

:lol:

Hey - so have you ever seen the end result of the program in your signature on a TRS-80?

MKCP 1985

I don't interpret it that way at all. I frequently read newspaper accounts of accidents, or watch reports on the news, of a death that takes place at a particular location, and as a side note, they mention other accidents that have taken place at that same location. That's simply a common occurence in reporting on accidents. It doesn't mean that anyone is trying to imply that the location itself is unsafe (although in some contexts it may, but certainly not always). Or when a newspaper reports a police activity that took place on a certain day. Maybe they report about that domestic distubance that took place on Friday night, and then as a sidenote, they make brief mention of other police activities on the same day.

It's simply a common practice in reporting. In this case, a death took place at WDW and, in the process of reporting it, the writers remind us of other similar things that have happened at WDW in recent times. It doesn't mean there is any sinister conspiracy to bring down Disney. It doesn't mean anyone is trying to imply that Disney is unsafe. I don't interpret it that way, anyhow. IMO, the only people who do so are hardcore Disney fanboys with a persecution complex.

uh huh.

well, your interpretation is . . . interesting. Whatever. I think this thread has gotten a little off topic. Let's get back to the many adventures of MKT.

duck_daddy

I don't interpret it that way at all. I frequently read newspaper accounts of accidents, or watch reports on the news, of a death that takes place at a particular location, and as a side note, they mention other accidents that have taken place at that same location. That's simply a common occurence in reporting on accidents. It doesn't mean that anyone is trying to imply that the location itself is unsafe (although in some contexts it may, but certainly not always). Or when a newspaper reports a police activity that took place on a certain day. Maybe they report about that domestic distubance that took place on Friday night, and then as a sidenote, they make brief mention of other police activities on the same day.

It's simply a common practice in reporting. In this case, a death took place at WDW and, in the process of reporting it, the writers remind us of other similar things that have happened at WDW in recent times. It doesn't mean there is any sinister conspiracy to bring down Disney. It doesn't mean anyone is trying to imply that Disney is unsafe. I don't interpret it that way, anyhow. IMO, the only people who do so are hardcore Disney fanboys with a persecution complex.
Why is this acceptable reporting? State the facts on the issue at hand, the poor woman's tragic demise, and leave it at that. Why do they feel the need to mention the other deaths that have happened at a said location? I am by no means an internet fanboy who looks for any reason to take Disney's side. If Disney is at fault, they are at fault. I don't think every bit of news about Disney reflects the media's intent to blackball Disney. To me, this kind of reporting shows what the world has come to, a black whole of tragedy and despair, and I'm an optimist. You can't even turn on a news channel anymore and see a heartwarming story about someone doing good. This just doesn't sell. Bad stuff sells, because the world is twisted. I just think it is shameful to be reporting on the death of someone, and then to bring in the "accidental deaths" of the company in question, just seems tacky!:wave:

bigtotoro

Why is this acceptable reporting? State the facts on the issue at hand, the poor woman's tragic demise, and leave it at that. Why do they feel the need to mention the other deaths that have happened at a said location? I am by no means an internet fanboy who looks for any reason to take Disney's side. If Disney is at fault, they are at fault. I don't think every bit of news about Disney reflects the media's intent to blackball Disney. To me, this kind of reporting shows what the world has come to, a black whole of tragedy and despair, and I'm an optimist. You can't even turn on a news channel anymore and see a heartwarming story about someone doing good. This just doesn't sell. Bad stuff sells, because the world is twisted. I just think it is shameful to be reporting on the death of someone, and then to bring in the "accidental deaths" of the company in question, just seems tacky!:wave:
It's just the way it is. They need an angle to sell the story. You need someone to blame and hopefully something to fear for a really good story. It's the mob mentality that drives these things. It's always been this way, it's human nature I guess.

duck_daddy

It's just the way it is. They need an angle to sell the story. You need someone to blame and hopefully something to fear for a really good story. It's the mob mentality that drives these things. It's always been this way, it's human nature I guess.
I agree 100%. It's this mentality, however, that saddens me! I understand this is why snuff films are being made, the world is sick! Surprisingly enough, I don't think the article in question really struck out to get Disney, they just shot themselves in the foot about the last 3/4 of the page!(IMHO) Thanks to CNN, my wife is convinced the world will end soon. So much sadness and tragedy in the news, it's very tragic. It's either bad/sad news, or in depth discussions about what color panties(or lack there of) that Britney Spears has on today. Who really gives a ________ about all these celebs and what they do?:shrug:

sbkline

Why is this acceptable reporting? State the facts on the issue at hand, the poor woman's tragic demise, and leave it at that. Why do they feel the need to mention the other deaths that have happened at a said location?

I don't know, but I guess I have seen it so often, that I think nothing of it, and don't consider it unacceptable at all.

If you see a news story on TV or read in the paper, about a shark attack at a beach, it's quite common for them to make a passing reference about other shark attacks that year, or other shark attacks at that particular beach over the years.

If you see a story about a hurricaine, or volcano eruption, Tsunami, etc, it's not uncommon for them to remind us of similar natural occurences in recent years.

Maybe it's acceptable, maybe it isn't. I suppose we can debate whether it is necessary, or proper to engage in that practice while reporting a story. But as these kind of examples demonstrate, it is by no means something limited to reports on accidents at WDW, nor is it part of some anti Disney agenda in the press as some people allege.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Have to make this quick as I am following another breaking news:

The OSHA has to be notified of a hospitalization of a rider and (especially) operator at the time of the incident - AK did not do this till Wednesday (four days late).

OSHA has to be notified if someone dies.. or 3 people or more are injured. Since the accident only included one person, it wasn't until the person died did the report meet the criteria. There is also a limit on how far after the accident if the person dies that the report no longer has be filed, even if it is a direct result of the accident. The company is supposed to report the accident within 8hrs if it meets the criteria.

These are the federal limits - and since Florida does not have its own State Plan - they rely on the federal OSHA program.

CityOfIndustry

I agree 100%. It's this mentality, however, that saddens me! I understand this is why snuff films are being made, the world is sick! Surprisingly enough, I don't think the article in question really struck out to get Disney, they just shot themselves in the foot about the last 3/4 of the page!(IMHO) Thanks to CNN, my wife is convinced the world will end soon. So much sadness and tragedy in the news, it's very tragic. It's either bad/sad news, or in depth discussions about what color panties(or lack there of) that Britney Spears has on today. Who really gives a ________ about all these celebs and what they do?:shrug:

So as to not start a war I have included notes on the tone as I wrote this comment.

(READ THIS SECTION AS A BIT OF EDUCATION)
Buddy... I gotta say it sounds to me like you want Disney to be 100% free of blame so bad that you are almost fighting for the rat. (not trying to be mean)

Disney is not blameless in this. Be it the trainers in the area who did not provide adequate training, managers for not listing to CM concerns and over scheduling staff, safety not listening to manager concerns, GM and VP's not spending more time looking into the needs of the area and the concerns of the area. Or a mix of it all -- which sounds more like Animal Kingdom.

(READ THIS SECTION WITH A MORE SARCASTIC TONE NOT AIMED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR)
I know many people like to look at Disney through their magical rose colored glasses that they send you home with, but I assure you, Disney has a hand in what happened but I can say with confidence that they will do everything in their power to make sure that the role they played, be it large or small, is never made public or private in their paper work, in OSHA's paperwork, and in the State of Florida's paperwork. It is the sad truth -- but you don't want to know this, you just want your $6.00 Churro and a Fastpass to Soarin'.

sbkline

Since I wasn't there and don't know all the facts, I won't judge whether or not Disney shares any of the blame. I know accidents can happen which aren't necessarily anyone's fault. I also know that there are some accidents which are solely the victim's stupidity, or just not paying attention to what they're doing. Then, of course, there are those accidents where someone other than the victim was negligent. I don't know which category that this case falls under.

Having said all that, I love WDW. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I love going there and reliving old memories and getting away from work and the responsibilities of life. To me, it is the best place to go for a vacation. I love it. However, I am also a realist and I am not naive to the goals of the Disney Company. It isn't run by philanthropists whose sole objective in life is to provide magical memories to individuals and families. It is a multi-billion dollar business run by cunning businessmen and women, whose objective is to pursue the almighty dollar. As such, I have no doubt that they are just as prone as the next company to trample over the little guy and cover things up in order to make a buck and keep their bee-hinds out of trouble. Is that what is happening in this case? I have no idea. But let's be realistic here and know that it isn't something that we should put past them to do.

PhotoDave219

So as to not start a war I have included notes on the tone as I wrote this comment.

(READ THIS SECTION AS A BIT OF EDUCATION)
Buddy... I gotta say it sounds to me like you want Disney to be 100% free of blame so bad that you are almost fighting for the rat. (not trying to be mean)

Disney is not blameless in this. Be it the trainers in the area who did not provide adequate training, managers for not listing to CM concerns and over scheduling staff, safety not listening to manager concerns, GM and VP's not spending more time looking into the needs of the area and the concerns of the area. Or a mix of it all -- which sounds more like Animal Kingdom.

(READ THIS SECTION WITH A MORE SARCASTIC TONE NOT AIMED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR)
I know many people like to look at Disney through their magical rose colored glasses that they send you home with, but I assure you, Disney has a hand in what happened but I can say with confidence that they will do everything in their power to make sure that the role they played, be it large or small, is never made public or private in their paper work, in OSHA's paperwork, and in the State of Florida's paperwork. It is the sad truth -- but you don't want to know this, you just want your $6.00 Churro and a Fastpass to Soarin'.

Keep the Churro, i just want the fastpass.

Good God, people. Can we just focus on the family who just lost a loved one... DURING THE HOLIDAYS!!!!!! This is tragic and half of you keep arguing blame. It makes me sick! Put it in a different thread.

My prayers go out to her loved ones during this difficult time.

KeeKee

Good God, people. Can we just focus on the family who just lost a loved one... DURING THE HOLIDAYS!!!!!! This is tragic and half of you keep arguing blame. It makes me sick! Put it in a different thread.

Right! Anyone here who prays should be praying for this family and the other man that slipped and fell and died at MK; not worrying about who said what to who and who's at fault.

DisneyGigi

Right! Anyone here who prays should be praying for this family and the other man that slipped and fell and died at MK; not worrying about who said what to who and who's at fault.

I agree. There is a time and place for everything and all the speculation started before this woman had even passed. (It just feels wrong.)
People hear so much bad news that alot of people have become insensitive to it. I can't imagine going into Christmas this soon after losing a loved one, it is hard enough anyway. :(

Tim G

I grew up and realized that the only thing keeping me in Florida was WDW :) Disney isn't enough for me to remain anywhere long enough... I just needed a good whack in the head to realize that. I like Disney, more than most things in life, but I don't love it.
Finally you're making sense... :lookaroun

Almost 23 years of my life, I gave to the mouse, I stepped out on the same date as M.E. did and I don't regret. But it doesn't mean that sometimes I'm missing it... (the job, the people, the habits, the chalenges, the nagging and even the traveling.)

But working for Disney is certainly not the heaven they all think it is...

Au contraire mon ami, au contraire!

KeeKee

I gave 23 years of my life to the mouse, I stepped out on the same date as M.E. did and I don't regret. But it doesn't mean that sometimes I'm missing it... (the job, the people, the habits, the chalenges, the nagging and even the traveling.)

I worked there for 5 years, and it took another 10 years after leaving before I wanted anything to do with any of the parks. All that's behind me now and I can again enjoy WDW for what it was intended. To tell the truth, even this forum reveals more than I want to know sometimes. It took 10 years to get all of the "behind the scenes" stuff out of my head.

IWorkWTeeth

Taken from Channel 13 Florida news.....
"According to Disney officials, the woman hurt over the weekend after falling at an Animal Kingdom ride has died.
Karen Price, 63, was hit by a moving car on the Primeval Whirl roller coaster on Saturday.

She was taken to the hospital. Disney said her condition then took a turn for the worse.

After being on life support for several hours, Disney said Price passed away on Thursday.

Price was a ride attendant and moved into an area of the platform where no one is allowed when the ride is moving. She then fell and hit her head.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and sheriff's deputies continue to investigate.
Disney did release a statement Thursday night saying, "On behalf of our entire Walt Disney World family, our sympathies are with the family. We have offered our support through this very difficult time."
Meanwhile, deadly accidents for Disney workers are relatively rare.
The last happened back in 2004 when a Magic Kingdom worker was killed.
Javier Cruz was dressed as Pluto when he was run over and killed by a float as it was entering a parade.
The park was fined $6,300 for putting workers in danger. Cruz’s death led to safety changes.
Back in 1998, custodian Raymond Barlow, 65, died after falling from the skyway ride at the Magic Kingdom. He was cleaning it at the time.

Several months later Disney closed the ride for good, but said the shutdown was not related to Barlow's death."

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Almost 23 years of my life, I gave to the mouse, I stepped out on the same date as M.E. did and I don't regret. But it doesn't mean that sometimes I'm missing it... (the job, the people, the habits, the chalenges, the nagging and even the traveling.)

When the sad truth hits you, it hits you like a sledgehammer.

But it sure is effective... now to try to put my life back on track :)

sbkline

In my own opinion, I think this is the thread for it.

It goes without saying that it was a horrible tragedy and our thoughts and prayers are with the family. I doubt that there is anyone who is cheering this event, or wishing her family ill. It's pretty obvious that we all view this as a horrible tragedy without having dozens of people coming in here and doing nothing but stating the obvious and all saying the same thing. After 3 or 4 posters saying that this is a horrible tragedy and our prayers go out to the family, I think we all get the point without 100 more coming in and saying the same thing.

Threads like that get boring and pointless really quick. Kind of like the pedophile threads which consist of nothing more than poster after poster coming in and condemning the person to Hell and saying what scum he is. No discussion value at all, just dozens of people stating the obvious.

Speaking for myself, rather than having a thread where everyone continually states the same thing over and over, I would rather have something to discuss. But that's just me, and I know others may disagree and, naturally, the mods may disagree and excersise their right to lock the thread if they think the discussion is off topic or inappropriate.

jmvd20

I agree. There is a time and place for everything and all the speculation started before this woman had even passed. (It just feels wrong.)
People hear so much bad news that alot of people have become insensitive to it. I can't imagine going into Christmas this soon after losing a loved one, it is hard enough anyway. :(

Where exactly is the proper time and place to discuss such things?

What are we supposed to do, become lemmings and have everyone post something like "Oh, how terrible, I will pray for the family". In reality what good does posting something like that achieve other than making us momentarily feel better about the situation?

I think what would be insensitive is for people to not ask questions, it would be wrong for people to not want to make sure all safety protocols were adhered to. It would also serve a greater good to find out the exact truth so the same thing does not happen to anyone else in the future. Accidents can and obviously do happen, but that doesn't mean questions shouldn't be asked. The real tragedy would be for everyone to just say "Oh how terrible, what a tragedy" and then drop it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom