AK worker injured

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I think some need to be VERY careful about how they write things in this thread. It appears to me that some are getting close to crossing the line of libel. If you have evidence, get it to the right officials, otherwise, you better be careful about making flagrant statements about cover-ups or mis-reporting to federal agencies.
my personal experience with Disney tends to side with some potentially libelous statements :zipit:

MythBuster

I think some need to be VERY careful about how they write things in this thread. It appears to me that some are getting close to crossing the line of libel. If you have evidence, get it to the right officials, otherwise, you better be careful about making flagrant statements about cover-ups or mis-reporting to federal agencies.

If only you REALLY knew what went on behind the scenes, then it might be a different story.

We will see when the true facts come out and if any changes are made or Disney just pushes it aside and calls it OPERATOR ERROR!

duck_daddy

If only you REALLY knew what went on behind the scenes, then it might be a different story.

We will see when the true facts come out and if any changes are made or Disney just pushes it aside and calls it OPERATOR ERROR!
I understand that 2,001 things could have gone wrong. However, you are jumping to conclusions and making VERY bold statements at that! I have no proof that Disney is not at fault. You have no proof they are. It's that simple! I don't pretend to know about behind the scenes, or how bad it is to work for Disney. You know what, ignorance is bliss. I work in a medical lab, if I handle a specimen improperly and accidently infect myself with an infectious disease, is the hospital to blame? I have been provided with the proper education, proper training, and have been give all the personal protection equipment needed to protect myself. If I choose to ignore all this and work with samples unprotected, I am asking for it. Nobody to blame but me. My deepest thoughts go out to the family, but it simply sound like she was somewhere she should not have been!

Greydog30

AK Worker Dies

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Disney employee died Thursday, five days after falling from a ride platform and hitting her head, park officials and Orange County authorities said.

Karen Price, 63, was hit by one of the moving vehicles and fell from a platform Saturday while working as a ride attendant on the roller coaster Primeval Whirl in Animal Kingdom, officials said.

Price was conscious, alert, and talking at the time of the injury, but her conditioned deteriorated Wednesday, sheriff spokesman Jim Solomons said.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the ride was operating normally Saturday.

"Our sympathies are with the family and we have offered our support through this very difficult time," she said.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration inspected the ride Thursday, Polak said. The sheriff's office was not contacted until Price's condition worsened, which is standard procedure, Solomons said.

Their office also was investigating, but "there's absolutely no indication there was a criminal act that precipitated the injury," he said.

Primeval Whirl is a dinosaur-themed ride, where spinning vehicles zip through a roller coaster track, according to Disney's Web site.

Disney has reported nine deaths to the state since 2001.

In June 2006, Michael Russell, 12, of Fort Campbell, Ky., went limp and later died after riding MGM's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Hiltrud Bluemel, a 49-year-old German tourist died in April 2006 one day after riding on Epcot's Mission: Space at Walt Disney World. A preliminary medical examiner's report showed she died of brain bleeding.

Four-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Penn., died after riding Epcot's Mission: Space in June 2005. An autopsy determined he died of an irregular heartbeat.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

duck_daddy

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Disney employee died Thursday, five days after falling from a ride platform and hitting her head, park officials and Orange County authorities said.

Karen Price, 63, was hit by one of the moving vehicles and fell from a platform Saturday while working as a ride attendant on the roller coaster Primeval Whirl in Animal Kingdom, officials said.

Price was conscious, alert, and talking at the time of the injury, but her conditioned deteriorated Wednesday, sheriff spokesman Jim Solomons said.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the ride was operating normally Saturday.

"Our sympathies are with the family and we have offered our support through this very difficult time," she said.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration inspected the ride Thursday, Polak said. The sheriff's office was not contacted until Price's condition worsened, which is standard procedure, Solomons said.

Their office also was investigating, but "there's absolutely no indication there was a criminal act that precipitated the injury," he said.

Primeval Whirl is a dinosaur-themed ride, where spinning vehicles zip through a roller coaster track, according to Disney's Web site.

Disney has reported nine deaths to the state since 2001.

In June 2006, Michael Russell, 12, of Fort Campbell, Ky., went limp and later died after riding MGM's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Hiltrud Bluemel, a 49-year-old German tourist died in April 2006 one day after riding on Epcot's Mission: Space at Walt Disney World. A preliminary medical examiner's report showed she died of brain bleeding.

Four-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Penn., died after riding Epcot's Mission: Space in June 2005. An autopsy determined he died of an irregular heartbeat.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
Why do they feel the need to take something as tragic as a woman's death and turn it into a "Look what Disney did!" article? This is degrading and if I was the family of this poor soul I would be outraged to see that the death of one of my family members had been smeared by a newsource trying to point out Disney's wrongdoings. A time and a place people! A time and a place!

sbkline

Why do they feel the need to take something as tragic as a woman's death and turn it into a "Look what Disney did!" article? This is degrading and if I was the family of this poor soul I would be outraged to see that the death of one of my family members had been smeared by a newsource trying to point out Disney's wrongdoings. A time and a place people! A time and a place!

Where in the world do you get that from the article? :shrug:

I saw nothing at all in the article to indicate that they were trying to blame WDW for what happened. They simply reported the facts.

A woman died while working at AK. Fact.

She was hit by a ride vehicle. Fact.

These other people listed, died at WDW as well. Fact.

But there was no implication that it was Disney's fault. Get a grip. The article even acknowledged that there is, as yet, no reason to blame Disney for any wrongdoing. Simply a reporting of the facts of what took place.

Oh, and by the way, I rest my case regarding what I said in post #86.

editor

Right guys, the Disney company has much more professional individuals who they pay to officially down play incidents and attempt to deflect questions. This is an unofficial Disney ‘Discussion’ forum and even if you are a current or past CM, I think it is very ill advised for you to try and ‘manage’ questions raised (way above your pay grade).

I have just done some research on past forum comments and notice the same ‘Fanboy’ comments after the 2003 ‘Thunder Mountain’ fatal incident. At the time there was lots of ‘accidents will happen’, but when it was revealed that the fatality (first time a death pronounced on property) was caused be a total collapse of the maintenance procedure, that had been forewarned by a number of CM – those fanboys dried up.

I am not saying that is the case here but I would like the facts before making any claims, not blind rebuttal. In no way am I here to slate WDC or prejudge what happened. I am only interested in ensuring I get the whole story, and not a edited version. The facts ‘warts and all’ is the only way to avoid repeating the same thing and learning lessons.

MKCP 1985

Where in the world do you get that from the article? :shrug:

I saw nothing at all in the article to indicate that they were trying to blame WDW for what happened. They simply reported the facts.

A woman died while working at AK. Fact.

She was hit by a ride vehicle. Fact.

These other people listed, died at WDW as well. Fact.

. . .

The story is the sad reality of a fatal accident which resulted in this poor lady's untimely demise. Where the story goes from reporting an accident to arguably sensationalizing the dangers of being at WDW is when it goes into the recounting of other people's deaths which had zero to do with what happened in this case.

So, they did more than "simply report the facts." They expanded the story of Ms. Price's death into another topic, raising the question of whether WDW is a safe place to work or visit.

MythBuster

I'm not trying to blame it on Disney doing it on purpose. But when you have safety guidelines in effect and they don't get followed properly and nothing happens to the CM's who violate them, then it is a supervisor or management problem. Or when safety concerns are continually brought to management and nothing gets done. Then that is a problem.

So if it is standard practice, say to cross the track with vehicles running, even though it is posted not to do that, and even the supervisors do it. Because it saves time and you don't have to stop the ride. But the correct procedure, is to RAC out and hit a station stop or ride stop or dispatch inhibit. but it takes longer and backs up the ride. So it is a lot easier to violate safety policies for just a minute.

So when you train new CM's and tell them don't do that, but all the other CM's are doing it anyway? What do you think that new CM is going to do? So it is easrier just to grab something out of a moving vehicle, so you don't interrupt the ride flow. Because what management is really concerned with is OHRC!!

CityOfIndustry

As a former cast member of Primeval Whirl, (left under my terms, just so you don't look at me like I'm some disgruntled former employee) I feel that I need to at least try to set something straight.

I hate how Disney keeps covering up their liability by saying that she was in an area that was off limits to cast members. (On a side note, anyone with training on that ride knows proper RAC procedures to lock out and tag out on the attraction before entering the ride path, they make sure to inform how serious it is to not enter the ride path while the ride is in motion and powered up)

I hate to burst their magical little bubble... thats not possible while the ride is in motion without opening a gate or jumping over a fence. (I've got family in their 60's, they have a hard time with stairs, so I doubt she jumped a fence or unlocked a gate.) The area on the platform that allows access to the ride path requires you to hop on the front of a car and then down a small set of stairs that sit just to the right of the track. There is no way that she could have been in this area unless she stopped the ride, hopped up on the track and jumped down onto the stairs. For a cast member who was only there a week or two as it is reported... I highly doubt it. Disney is working its magic and trying to point the finger in the other direction.

MKT might be able to hold back, but I am sure he can agree with me that this is just another case of Disney trying to save their tail for something that they are responsible for.

CityOfIndustry

So if it is standard practice, say to cross the track with vehicles running, even though it is posted not to do that, and even the supervisors do it. Because it saves time and you don't have to stop the ride. But the correct procedure, is to RAC out and hit a station stop or ride stop or dispatch inhibit. but it takes longer and backs up the ride. So it is a lot easier to violate safety policies for just a minute.

So when you train new CM's and tell them don't do that, but all the other CM's are doing it anyway? What do you think that new CM is going to do? So it is easrier just to grab something out of a moving vehicle, so you don't interrupt the ride flow. Because what management is really concerned with is OHRC!!

The only cast member I have ever seen do this is maintenance. Everyone on the platform who saw them do this time and time again always thought they were nuts, but they always said they knew best.

mkt

Premium Member
MKT might be able to hold back, but I am sure he can agree with me that this is just another case of Disney trying to save their tail for something that they are responsible for.

I agree wholeheartedly. Even the way that Disney's internal documents (specifically their incident reports/injury reports) are worded... they are worded as to specifically place blame on the victim/affected party and to shift any blame away from Disney.

I'm only holding back to avoid a potential fight on the forums, not from fear of the mouse. I'm now located in a place where Disney has no presence:)

CityOfIndustry

I agree wholeheartedly. Even the way that Disney's internal documents (specifically their incident reports/injury reports) are worded... they are worded as to specifically place blame on the victim/affected party and to shift any blame away from Disney.

I'm only holding back to avoid a potential fight on the forums, not from fear of the mouse. I'm now located in a place where Disney has no presence:)

Thats exactly what I mean.... its in case someone looks at their files one day... it will always look like they are golden.

PS - Sorry to hear you are not in Orlando anymore, guess I wont run into you walking through Dinoland with your camera anymore.

mkt

Premium Member
Thats exactly what I mean.... its in case someone looks at their files one day... it will always look like they are golden.

Seriously,
Q-"What could you have done to prevent this event."

A-"Nothing"

Manager, "That's not an acceptable answer"

CM, "What do you mean? I was punched by a guest!"

yeah... it's an extremely fair report :lookaroun

PS - Sorry to hear you are not in Orlando anymore, guess I wont run into you walking through Dinoland with your camera anymore.

I'm not sorry about my decision to move, I live in a tropical island with perpetually good weather. I will admit that those were good times, running around the parks with a camera :) I'll be back Dec 12-16 to visit, but I shall never live in Florida again. Ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom