AK worker injured

TOTGuy

This is very sad to think of a fallen brother or sister. Remember that often times we CM's face danger in bringing the magic to you. Though it is very rare that someone loses their life at WDW we must always be reminded to persevere and always be on alert for potential safety hazards. There is a reason "Safe 'D' begins with me" is pounded into our heads. Ride Access Control boards are there for a reason as are intrusion sensors. I don't know if that attraction has a handpack (remote used on omnimover-type attractions) but if it doesn't I suggest they get one as the vehicle is in constant motion. Heaven has another angel and this one has a nametag...
Thoughts are with the family...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wrong - what we have is a delay in reporting an incident that has opened a can of worms over other CM incidents on this and other AK rides - though minor have gone without reporting.

Minor injuries do not need to be reported unless 3 or more people are hurt.

In this case, the lady did not die until THURSDAY - technically Disney did not have to report the incident until 8hr AFTER then. There was no delay according to OSHA rules.

Basic requirement. Within eight (8) hours after the death of any employee from a work-related incident or the in-patient hospitalization of three or more employees as a result of a work-related incident

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=12783

What Disney must do in many of their operations (depending on their classification according to OSHA and the Department of Labor) is LOG employee injuries that meet certain criteria

How do I decide if a case meets one or more of the general recording criteria? A work-related injury or illness must be recorded if it results in one or more of the following:​
1904.7(b)(1)(i)
Death. See § 1904.7(b)(2).​
1904.7(b)(1)(ii)
Days away from work. See § 1904.7(b)(3).​
1904.7(b)(1)(iii)
Restricted work or transfer to another job. See § 1904.7(b)(4).​
1904.7(b)(1)(iv)
Medical treatment beyond first aid. See § 1904.7(b)(5).​
1904.7(b)(1)(v)
Loss of consciousness. See § 1904.7(b)(6).​
1904.7(b)(1)(vi)
A significant injury or illness diagnosed by a physician or other licensed health care professional. See § 1904.7(b)(7).​

editor

Stop Attacking and Spinning!

Nope - but it also clearly defines that Disney must not do what editor claims they are failing to do.

I must advice you to STOP making accusations regarding questions I raised.

This is an unofficial ‘Discussion’ forum – a forum for topics to be raised and discussed. As an executive in the theme park industry I am aware of the structure and safety procedures for D01 and D11 style attractions and am not throwing around accusations, but ASKING QUESTIONS! If you do not know the difference then I can not help you.

I am attempting to avoid accusation, or false sentiment which has been all too evident here of late. I am also extremely concerned by those purposely miss-reading questions and attacking those that raise them – I seriously hope these are just Disney FanBoys with too much free-time, and not executives trying a little inter-forum spinning!

Finally, I am not going to comment beyond this email because of the seriousness of the CM accusations that were raised in private (I can understand why they did this after seeing recent responses from certain blinkered comments). I just want to remind you of the statement that said that the CM on ‘Saturday’ was walking and talking and showed no signs of problems after the 15ft fall. We now learn that she was taken to hospital straight away and was in a ‘serious’ condition on admittance (on the Saturday – worsening on the Wednesday when finally reported) – this story variance fuels much of my comments, linked to the sudden dropping of the “entered non-permitted area” to being “dragged behind ride car” comments.

Stop attacking and spinning - just try and discuss topics – attack is not discussion, and can hide anterior motives! I leave this now in the Moderators hands.

editor

Minor injuries do not need to be reported unless 3 or more people are hurt.

In this case, the lady did not die until THURSDAY - technically Disney did not have to report the incident until 8hr AFTER then. There was no delay according to OSHA rules.
[/INDENT]

You seem fixated on the OSHA issue when the EDITOR mentioned the OSHA and Sheriff office – the notification procedure agreed by the park is for a Serious (hospitalization) incident to be reported to the Sheriff’s office within 8-hors of occurrence.

wannab@dis

This is an unofficial ‘Discussion’ forum – a forum for topics to be raised and discussed. As an executive in the theme park industry I am aware of the structure and safety procedures for D01 and D11 style attractions and am not throwing around accusations, but ASKING QUESTIONS! If you do not know the difference then I can not help you.

I am attempting to avoid accusation, or false sentiment which has been all too evident here of late. I am also extremely concerned by those purposely miss-reading questions and attacking those that raise them – I seriously hope these are just Disney FanBoys with too much free-time, and not executives trying a little inter-forum spinning!

Finally, I am not going to comment beyond this email because of the seriousness of the CM accusations that were raised in private (I can understand why they did this after seeing recent responses from certain blinkered comments). I just want to remind you of the statement that said that the CM on ‘Saturday’ was walking and talking and showed no signs of problems after the 15ft fall. We now learn that she was taken to hospital straight away and was in a ‘serious’ condition on admittance (on the Saturday – worsening on the Wednesday when finally reported) – this story variance fuels much of my comments, linked to the sudden dropping of the “entered non-permitted area” to being “dragged behind ride car” comments.

Stop attacking and spinning - just try and discuss topics – attack is not discussion, and can hide anterior motives! I leave this now in the Moderators hands.
Wow... you should actually read what you are writing. It is you, in fact, that's making many accusations and not asking questions. Also, why is it that most of your posts over the course of 4 years are in threads about deaths or injuries at WDW? Also interesting that your signature violates the Terms of Service for this site for advertising. A death at Disney, you show up and hawk your wares, make accusations... Yeah, just a little strange. :rolleyes:

As for the others that are claiming to know what "really" happened and claiming a coverup... I find it very hard to place any confidence in worksite chatter. Rarely is truth found in those instances.

An investigation will find the truth, changes will be implemented and training updated if necessary.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You didn't raise questions - you made SPECIFIC claims. Let's recap

Wrong - what we have is a delay in reporting an incident that has opened a can of worms over other CM incidents on this and other AK rides - though minor have gone without reporting.

The OSHA has to be notified of a hospitalization of a rider and (especially) operator at the time of the incident - AK did not do this till Wednesday (four days late).

Those are not questions - those are claims - which various aspects are INCORRECT.

I am aware of the structure and safety procedures for D01 and D11 style attractions and am not throwing around accusations, but ASKING QUESTIONS! If you do not know the difference then I can not help you.

Then as an 'editor' you may want to review your structure on how you ask 'questions' because the above quotes clearly show you making claims that Disney failed to contact OSHA in time and that they are failing to report other minor injuries - also which they are NOT required to report to OSHA (and there is no corresponding state Occupational Safety Organization in Flordia). Injuries that meet the criteria are required to be LOGGED by the employer and provide them upon auditing or inquiries.

Stop spreading misinformation about very clearly defined federal occupational safety regulations.

Florida has state laws on regulation of Amusement Rides and the reporting of failures and injuries - but Disney is exempt from those rules (as is all the other permanent parks that employ more then 1000 people). The parks operate under a voluntary system which they report to the state, and in those requirements are different then the OSHA requirements, they only cover the attractions themselves (not general working areas), the time lines and requirements are quite lax (reporting is only due each QUARTER) and in fact only cover patrons - not workers.

cdunbar

I'm very sorry that this person has lost their lives, it is an unforunate incident. It is also quite unforunate that it was so close to the holidays.

Thoughts and prayers to the family.:(

flynnibus

Premium Member
You seem fixated on the OSHA issue when the EDITOR mentioned the OSHA and Sheriff office – the notification procedure agreed by the park is for a Serious (hospitalization) incident to be reported to the Sheriff’s office within 8-hors of occurrence.

Forget to log into your sock puppet account before making that post?

OSHA is the agency that enforces the laws that apply here - that's why. Anything else is purely an agreement, not law nor requirement. Disney is except from Florida state law on Amusement Operation - and the Sherriff doesn't get to make his own laws. Disney would include them for liability purposes - and to Cover their #$% in case of suspected criminal activity. The Sherriff can not 'investigate' or report on anything that isn't a crime.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
*sighs* I don't understand people..

A person stepped into the wrong area, as far as anyone knows she wasn't pushed, coerced, or otherwise put thee, but rather made a mistake and was killed as a result of that mistake. It's sad, yes, but can very well happen in attractions. All attractions hosts know this. Who cares when it was reported? It's not like Disney was trying to hide it, nor could they hide it.

People are looking for malice that doesn't exist.

editor

Wow... you should actually read what you are writing. It is you, in fact, that's making many accusations and not asking questions. Also, why is it that most of your posts over the course of 4 years are in threads about deaths or injuries at WDW? Also interesting that your signature violates the Terms of Service for this site for advertising. A death at Disney, you show up and hawk your wares, make accusations... Yeah, just a little strange. :rolleyes:

Well, when I joined over four-years ago this 'Terms of Service' was a lot different. I have edited my signature to redress this change - and thank you for bringing this to my notice.

I have also read some of my old posts and see that along with questions about recent incidents I have asked questions about:

- DisneyQuest status
- the development of Star Tours 2
- why there was a deletion of a member from the forum when he was asked if he worked for the corporation.

(though I am sure your definition of 'most' is not the same as mine)

It has become clear that personal attack is being used on this topic, and as I said I will leave it to the sheriff and OSHA reports to fill in the blanks.

Good luck to the other forum members under these new circumstances.

wannab@dis

Well, when I joined over four-years ago this 'Terms of Service' was a lot different. I have edited my signature to redress this change - and thank you for bringing this to my notice.

I have also read some of my old posts and see that along with questions about recent incidents I have asked questions about:

- DisneyQuest status
- the development of Star Tours 2
- why there was a deletion of a member from the forum when he was asked if he worked for the corporation.

(though I am sure your definition of 'most' is not the same as mine)

It has become clear that personal attack is being used on this topic, and as I said I will leave it to the sheriff and OSHA reports to fill in the blanks.

Good luck to the other forum members under these new circumstances.
You must be having problems with that sock puppet again...

3 of the 4 threads you've posted concerned people dying at the parks or the people getting sick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom