"Adios" El Rio del Tiempo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilt Dasney

That's because you missed out on the Epcot that did offer indepth learning experiences. The Epcot you know, and EPCOT Center are two vastly different ideas.

Fair enough. But it would appear the battle is lost at this point...not just in Mexico, but in general.

Victor

Fair enough. But it would appear the battle is lost at this point...not just in Mexico, but in general.

Agreed, the battle is lost. And some of us are bitter cooks because of it (me).

However, say what you will about WS, it has still remained somewhat untouched by the 'DISNEYFICATION OF EPCOT' (dramatic music)...and I'd like to see it stay that way.

DDuckFan130

I don't know about others, but I learned a little something from the Three Caballeros. Anyone want to tell me what a posada is? I learned what that was from the movie when I was little. And that whole "Ay jalisco no te rajes" is an actual folk song from Mexico. Another thing I learned.

If we go by the logic of let's not stick characters into the pavilion, then away with all of them and let the little kids be bored again by the pavilions. I like the idea of characters being represented in the pavilions in which their respective movies are set, but maybe that's just me.

And yes again maybe I'm biased because Donald is my favorite character, but the Mexican pavilion was becoming boring. It needs this. And I highly doubt this addition will compromise the integrity and "education" of the Mexican culture in the pavilion.

What's interesting though is Wilt Dasney has a point. Why doesn't anyone have a problem with the vast and blatant stereotypes you see in Mexico? Ooh the maracas and the sombreros...very creative. There's more to the country than this. I mean, it's big enough, like the accordions being a big regional instrument :lol:

Victor

What's interesting though is Wilt Dasney has a point. Why doesn't anyone have a problem with the vast and blatant stereotypes you see in Mexico? Ooh the maracas and the sombreros...very creative. There's more to the country than this. I mean, it's big enough, like the accordions being a big regional instrument :lol:

If you go to Mexico, you will see maracas and sombreros for sale. Given, they are there mainly for the gringo tourists...but this adds to the authenticity of the Mexico pavillion. :D

MMP

Disneyfing Epcot? Did I miss the memo that Epcot isn't actually a part of Disney World? Just because it isn't the Magic Kingdom doesn't mean you have to keep all Disney characters and references completly out of the park.

Tim G

Disneyfing Epcot? Did I miss the memo that Epcot isn't actually a part of Disney World? Just because it isn't the Magic Kingdom doesn't mean you have to keep all Disney characters and references completly out of the park.
What the heck are you talking about... :confused:

Victor

Nope, but when originally opened EPCOT Center was a place completely devoid of Disney characters and merchandise. The focus was on humanity, not talking animals. Mind you, on my first visit the characters had been introduced to the park. But even then, this was limited to the Fab Five in futuristic outfits making sporadic and rare appearances. I'm fine with Disney characters appearing in the park, my problem is the blatant disregard for the original concept of Epcot. Disney magic doesn't mean Disney characters.

MMP

Everyone in this post is complaining about the "Disneyfication" of Epcot. I don't understand, Epcot is Disney, why should all sembelence of Disney characters be kept out of this park? It doesn't make any sense to complain about Disney characters in a Disney park.

dxwwf3

Just because it isn't the Magic Kingdom doesn't mean you have to keep all Disney characters and references completly out of the park.

At the same time, just because something is in the Magic Kingdom doesn't mean it has to be extremely kid friendly or character driven.

GenerationX

As I've said in the past, any change to this attraction is welcome. "Underwhelming" only begins to describe the relative merits of this outdated, dull-as-paste attraction. This attraction, like the other old school Epcot attractions, is like reading an encyclopedia. It has the information, it's presented in a straight-forward effective manner, and it's fairly interesting. However, it fails to engage, inspire, or dazzle.

I hope the Donald Duck rumor is true, because he is my favorite Disney character. :sohappy:

Tim G

Everyone in this post is complaining about the "Disneyfication" of Epcot. I don't understand, Epcot is Disney, why should all sembelence of Disney characters be kept out of this park? It doesn't make any sense to complain about Disney characters in a Disney park.
NOT everyone... I'm not against Disneyfying... I'm against Pixarizing...
Yep I know Pixar is owned by Disney...

But if there's one thing I hate is, shoving the latest "brilliant" finacial move through everyone's throat, whether they like it or not...

That's what's really bothering me...

Main Street USA

It's a good thing I took a lot of pictures back in the day, because the "slow" people of Earth have spoken. Goodbye, classic, wonderful EPCOT Center. Hello, 2nd park with no originality to set it apart.

...and yes, for those wondering, with the word "slow" I'm referring to those that have become so ridiculously lazy from the internet and other similar things in this "I must have it now, entertain me, I'm entitled" society, that they can't take 2 seconds to be educated on the important things in life.

"This is Disney! It's ALL about fun and thrilling things! I want PINS, CHARACTERS, AND RIDES MY CHILDREN WILL ENJOY everywhere on property! I want cake! Duuuuur.....uhhhhhh....more cake!"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Victor

It's a good thing I took a lot of pictures back in the day, because the "slow" people of Earth have spoken. Goodbye, classic, wonderful EPCOT Center. Hello, 2nd park with no originality to set it apart.

...and yes, for those wondering, with the word "slow" I'm referring to those that have become so ridiculously lazy from the internet and other similar things in this "I must have it now, entertain me, I'm entitled" society, that they can't take 2 seconds to be educated on the important things in life.

"This is Disney! It's ALL about fun and thrilling things! I want PINS, CHARACTERS, AND RIDES MY CHILDREN WILL ENJOY everywhere on property! I want cake! Duuuuur.....uhhhhhh....more cake!"

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Main Street USA

As I've said in the past, any change to this attraction is welcome. "Underwhelming" only begins to describe the relative merits of this outdated, dull-as-paste attraction. This attraction, like the other old school Epcot attractions, is like reading an encyclopedia. It has the information, it's presented in a straight-forward effective manner, and it's fairly interesting. However, it fails to engage, inspire, or dazzle.

I hope the Donald Duck rumor is true, because he is my favorite Disney character. :sohappy:
Wow, in only a few sentences, you've captured the exact attitude I was referring to in my last post. Congrats on being in the majority of the general public.

DDuckFan130

The important things in life are people jumping off a cliff and salespeople selling you their goods? :lookaroun

The only education one can get from that ride besides the "setting" are El dia de los muertos and the very short mayan/aztec part. Other than that, I'm not getting educated :lol:

Victor

The important things in life are people jumping off a cliff and salespeople selling you their goods? :lookaroun

The only education one can get from that ride besides the "setting" are El dia de los muertos and the very short mayan/aztec part. Other than that, I'm not getting educated :lol:

Yes, you're right, it isn't exactly all that 'educational'. But the possibility of adding The Three Caballeros to Rio is part of something bigger that has been at work at Epcot, and not just the Mexico pavillion. I understand wholeheartedly where main street was coming from.

DDuckFan130

Yes, you're right, it isn't exactly all that 'educational'. But the possibility of adding The Three Caballeros to Rio is part of something bigger that has been at work at Epcot, and not just the Mexico pavillion. I understand wholeheartedly where main street was coming from.
I guess I do too...but perhaps there may have been a nicer way of saying it? :lookaroun

I'm gonna be a teacher, I think I should be a little for educating people...maybe, I don't know :lookaroun :lol:

Main Street USA

Actually, you are being educated. It's a subtle reference to the general culture of Mexico.

Obviously, El Rio isn't the only atrraction or happening within Epcot that I was referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom