"Adios" El Rio del Tiempo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm

Glad I did it one last time on my last trip. Very excited about my trip in May that I have already planned!!!!

J

jmani56

Is the 3 Cabs thing confirmed or just speculation?

I think there is a very good chance that the ride is just going to be updated; there are some things that look very dated. For example, the video footage in the ride has that late 70's/early 80's look that everybody comments on. Maybe it won't be too big of changes.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, they're not rebuilding the ride. That takes longer then 3 months, as seen with the "small world" rebuild.

They could, and quite possibly are, adding new show scenes the way they did with Pirates. The rehab lengths are similiar, but El Rio is a younger attraction in muh better condition then Pirates (and lacking the mechanical woes of the drop and a lift hill to worry about fixing).

I seriously doubt they're just refurbishing it. That ride is entirely contained in the pavilion and holds up very well, the animatronics are simple and the show scenes are (as far as I've seen) functional. Normally they just shut it down for a week or two to take out the shoes hidden in it by the Mexican workers (a tradition) and repaint/repair bulbs.

PinMadness

I love the ride, but every time I ride it I say "They really need to update the videos." I'll be in WDW the 6th of January so I will just miss riding it old school one last time.:cry:

DKampy

I say bring on the 3 Cabs. I have not been to WDW in 2 years, but from everything I have read about the parks it seems as if Disney is doing everything right latetly. Besides it is a tired and dated attraction. Last time I was there we were the only ones on the boat. It is a business...it's about drawing in the crowds despite what all the Disneyphilles think. Remember how worried everyone was about the Nemophying of the Seas?

I am really looking forward to my trip to the World in May.

ogryn

*Thumbs up from me*

Although it was quiet, quaint and had no queue (even in Summer), it was also tired and dated ("Hello video projection loops"). Tastefully done (and I think it will be after the Seas update) this will hopefully add new life to the pavillion :sohappy:

So, are they renaming this pavilion, "The Mexico With Donald And Friends"? Sorry, but I really like the ride the was it is. No doubt it could use a freshening, though.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My guess is we will see an update on the video projection portions of the show and it wouldnt suprise me that if in the market scene they take out the "humans" and insert the cab's.

I am going to miss that pool bar scene if they take it out. I dont know why, but thats my favorite scene in the ride with second place going to the cliff divers.

Slowjack

World Showcase needs change.. why belittle it? Anything happening is good, especially at a boat ride that no one rides...
I guess some of us have higher standards than that. I think El Rio could use a redo, but no, I don't think just any change is good. Disney's thinking right now seems to be: people like characters, so let's just slap 'em in everywhere and call it a day!
It's like there's this hospital near where I work that treats a lot of low-income patients. The place was really an out-of-date facility that didn't offer very good care. So the county goverment got some money together and...built a shiny new facade to cover the front of the building to make it look new! Anything happening is good! The hospital needed change, so why belittle it?
Over in the Magic Kingdom, 20,000 Leagues needed some love, didn't it? So what did Disney do? Filled it in with concrete and put a playground in front of it! But anything happening is good!
The original Journey to Imagination ride had, perhaps, outlived its time. But...is there anyone that thinks that the first redo they did of this ride was any good? Did it increase ridership? Dunno...but anything happening is good!
I'm osrry if this post is too sarcastic, but your statement does seem to accurately summarize the view of you and many others here, that if something isn't that popular, any alteration of it is a good idea. I'm not adverse to change at old attractions, but I want to see right changes made, not just some suit's attempt of synergy.

ConnerLives

I must concur, El Rio Del Tiempo needs a good update, especially since it's simply just such a beautiful ride so hopelessly stuck in '82.

The projections look very dated, and while there is still a timeless quality to theSun Gods and Cliff Divers, those merchants are simply WAY too stereotyped that I cringed all the way to the unload. Other than that, this is still one of Epcot's most relaxing attractions and a good way to decompress after soaking up Test Track or Mission: Space.

Also, I need to point out a very interesting aspect of Rio. We all know that at the beginning the boats pass by a pyramid on one side and San Angel's Restaurant on the other. I mention this because this is a fantastic nod to the start of Disneyland's POTC with the swamp and the Blue Bayou. It's one of the best examples of visual transition in any Disney ride and thankfully that portion will never be untouched. But it's good to know that at least Disney IS making some effort to get some things up to speed for Epcot's 25th, Donald, Jose, and Panchito aside:drevil:

Hurricane

My guess is we will see an update on the video projection portions of the show and it wouldnt suprise me that if in the market scene they take out the "humans" and insert the cab's.

I am going to miss that pool bar scene if they take it out. I dont know why, but thats my favorite scene in the ride with second place going to the cliff divers.

I think you're right on the money as far as the scope of the rehab, there just isn't time to do much more. Update to HD projectors, drop in some character projections in the market scene and hopefully reshoot the underwater / cliff diver projections with something similar.

jedimaster1227

Lee, was I right when I was told that many of the screens from El Rio are staying in this update (to show the Three Caballeros) and the finale will be altered the most?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
God, you can see it now. Don`t forget the gift shop. Sorry for being cynical but words overhaul, projections and cartoon tie-in don`t inspire images of an impressive budget, let alone one of the pavilions atmosphere being enhanced. I`ll be the first to agree the attraction needs beinging forward 20 years, but there are other ways.

What next? Milo Thatch in Japans water garden? Well... it`s water...so it`ll tie in somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom