"Adios" El Rio del Tiempo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe this has nothing to do with the conversation, I kind of think it does, but doesnt anyone else see a parallel between Tomorrowland and Futureworld? The only futureistic element of Futureworld is the M:Space attraction, which in a couple more years with the advancement in space flight may not be that new. Futureworld for the most part has become today (Test Track and Body Wars when its open) and yesterday (Ellen's Energy Universe). In Tomorrowland, there is no depiction of what the future will look like, except for what the future looks like through the eyes of Pixar (Buzz and Monsters Inc) and Stitch. Indy Speedway is yesterday as well as CoP. Space Mountain is an indoor roller coaster that needs help.

That being said, why is Disney not looking forward into the future as they did when parks opened. I believe it is because, as stated in a prior post, it is generational. My parents and grandparents generation looked to the future because they didnt have alot of the luxuries that we have now. They didnt have the ability to order a pizza without talking to anyone. They didnt have the ability to buy something from China without picking up the phone. The technology in their day did not allow for near what my generation and todays youth have available at their finger tips.

Fast forward to today. For what reason do the youth of today have to look to the future for? You can get anything you want at the speed of light (compared to 20 years ago). You dont have to save to buy something because they will give you a credit card now in college.

I think the draw of the future has been killed by the instant gratification of today. But, thats just my opinion.....

Victor

When I went on the ride in august there was this really bad smell that the ride had. I dont think the ride needs changing just cleaned up and maybe the videos updated. This ride has an atmosphere to it that I do not think should be changed.

I know what you're talking about. El Rio has always had a distinctive smell...I think it's the water. Just don't drink it.

Eyorefan

It wasn't a sudden thing. It is more of a generation factor. Face it. Children of the 90's and today never really care for the future like we did. Epcot was a victim to the Magic Kingdom, as the Magic Kingdom's attractions outshined Epcot's.

As a child of the 80's I will have to agree with you on this. Although, can you really blame Gen. X and their kids for not caring about the future? The 'Future' of the past was this exciting and fun, People living in Space, flying cars, really fun furnature. That's not the future people are given today. Today's future is full of Enviromental distruction, government mind control and human cloning gone wrong. What's fun about that stuff?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
As a child of the 80's I will have to agree with you on this. Although, can you really blame Gen. X and their kids for not caring about the future? The 'Future' of the past was this exciting and fun, People living in Space, flying cars, really fun furnature. That's not the future people are given today. Today's future is full of Enviromental distruction, government mind control and human cloning gone wrong. What's fun about that stuff?

And dead bodies that are brought back to life, endlessly searching for brains.....dont forget that one. :lookaroun

SirNim

Assuming that this is the case--and you may indeed be right--what do you think drove this generational difference? I have to think that it's the increasingly dystopian views of the future that wes started seeing in entertainment (movies, television, theme parks), and the rise of the "me generation". I think that those who only knew such grim visions of the future need something more inspiring and positive to look to. Pandering to the status quo is, again, the easy way out.

I liked the blog post "A Happy Accident"... It's sorta about this...

planet7

That being said, why is Disney not looking forward into the future as they did when parks opened. I believe it is because, as stated in a prior post, it is generational.

For Disney's part, they said--in as many words--that they just didn't want to spend the money trying to keep up with the future. It's a money thing, not a guest satisfaction thing. And that's something that really gets to me in these discussions, so many people think that Disney's decisions are driven by guest satisfaction and driving attendance, when in fact they're more often to do with money and corporate politics (personal egos, lack of vision, marketing vs. operations, and so on).

That said, you do make a very good point. That for this generation, there is much less to "want" for in terms of conveniences and material goods. But that is about to change. If we stay the course we're on, we're headed in the direction of a preindustrial society. History really does repeat.

G7

Tim G

Oh. I forgot, "education" is a bad thing. Sigh.

I can be fun and silly with the best of 'em. But I think there's more to life. Everything in balance.

G7
And yet... That that same education brought me where I am now... :D

Eyorefan

And dead bodies that are brought back to life, endlessly searching for brains.....dont forget that one. :lookaroun

You are so Right! And how could I forget nuclear explostions that mutated and transformed anything and everything in it's path.

In the words of MST3000, "That was back before science had to actually mean anything." (or something like that).

dandaman

Does this accurately describe this thread's majority to anyone else?

planet7 said:
Like Test Track is that different from the drive on I-4, or that we can forget that our big "adventure" in Mission: Space was an utterly pointless trip to nowhere, when they go out of their way to say it in so many words.

But, yeah... mutant future's pretty cool, too. :lookaroun

prberk

I'd like to see the ride updated, but I agree that it should not be dumbed down ... or filled with characters either.

The "3 Amigos" idea is timeless and would not necessarily be dated (just as the film's concept is still appropriate), BUT I don't feel that bringing in characters is necessary or appropriate.

Epcot as a whole, I think, is suffering from the whole company pushing the characters over everything else, especially in marketing and TV. Before Disney bought ABC, it seemed like Walt Disney World was everywhere on the tube -- on sitcoms, Inside Out on Disney Channel, etc. Now it isn't even found on The Disney Channel without a dumbed-down, cheesy, in-yourface promo. (At least The Travel Channel still features it every so often.)

What I am saying is that Epcot has an identity that is different and complementary to the Magic Kingdom. And they just need to recognize that -- both in their ride theming and in their marketing and use of television. On television, WDW benefits from showing people the diversity of things to do there. It's getting back to where people who haven't been there (and some who have) think that "Disney World" is just for kids, and is only The Magic Kingdom... And the character invasion or "dumbing down" of Epcot doesn't help counter that argument....

Give us an exciting, updated "journey into Mexico"! No characters.

Paul

Tim G

Does this accurately describe this thread's majority to anyone else?

But, yeah... mutant future's pretty cool, too. :lookaroun
Errr... From that POV all attractions are useless trips to nowhere...

So in other words... 15 years down the drain fo me??? Don't think so... (hopefully) :lol:

Tim G

I'd like to see the ride updated, but I agree that it should not be dumbed down ... or filled with characters either.

The "3 Amigos" idea is timeless and would not necessarily be dated (just as the film's concept is still appropriate), BUT I don't feel that bringing in characters is necessary or appropriate.

Epcot as a whole, I think, is suffering from the whole company pushing the characters over everything else, especially in marketing and TV.
That's what I've been telling for more than a year now... and now finally someone has the same thoughts... :D

dandaman

Errr... From that POV all attractions are useless trips to nowhere...

So in other words... 15 years down the drain for me??? Don't think so... (hopefully) :lol:

I meant the discussion as a whole -- bickering and opinion-obliterating included. Didn't mean any of the attractions.

(Not sure what 15 years you're referring to, but rest assured they aren't going anywhere. :lookaroun)

As for my opinion... I don't care if it has characters, or even if they keep the cheesy 80's videos. As long as it gets something*, I'm happy.

*Save for Stitch...

Main Street USA

I meant the discussion as a whole -- bickering and opinion-obliterating included. Didn't mean any of the attractions.

(Not sure what 15 years you're referring to, but rest assured they aren't going anywhere. :lookaroun)

As for my opinion... I don't care if it has characters, or even if they keep the cheesy 80's videos. As long as it gets something*, I'm happy.

*Save for Stitch...
He's referring to his 15 years with the WDC. I'm not sure exactly what part of the company, but it's not my business. I'll say this....Corrus generally knows what he's talking about when it comes to Walt Disney World..............as for everything else.......:lookaroun

:D....kidding, of course.......;)

Victor

Alright, so for those of us who don't want to see the Three Caballeros in El Rio, let's discuss what we would like to see.

First of all, the screens with all the silly Aztec-rainbow-dancing have got to go. I get that the Aztecs are a deep part of the country's history, but perhaps leave only two of these screens to the Aztec stuff, and use the rest to depict some other important events in Mexican history, such as the Revolution and eventual independence.

The whole jump from aztec, to 'It's a small world' clone, to 80's travelogue is hardly cohesive. It's never been really clear to me what the dolls are all celebrating for, is it Dia de los Muertos? Not sure. But give this section a little more substance. Maybe make it Cinco de Mayo, hence some transition between videos of the Revolution to a celebration. Or just take the dolls and turn them into drunk American teenagers on spring break. :animwink:

The final videos should show off some more of Mexican culture, instead of just tourist spots. Show some soccer, show the wide variety of people and faces, show some dancing, landmarks, etc. Mexico is a big place, there is a lot to see. Just show some respect.

Is the last scene supposed to depict a Cinco de Mayo celebration? I'm also not sure about this. As far as the fireworks go, I kinda like them. But that horrid mirror wall has got to go.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom