Accident at Disneyland (CA)

Woody13

Originally posted by Fievel
I just read this ....erm....we'll call it an "article" for now.

Remember..just because it's posted on the internet, doesn't mean it's credible. The website as a whole has an anti-disney slant to it, so take it with a grain of salt. Amazing how this guy has all these "sources" but doesn't name names....just vague references.

If I believed everything I saw on the computer I would have already:

Won $250,000
Been in a foursome with young asian girls
Have genitals the size of a cadillac
Repair and fix mine, yours, and everybody's credit problems - all with the click of a button.

I'm not saying all the information is wrong...some of it may be very true. I've never heard of this as a reputable news source. And until such time that I do, I'll believe people that don't put their own spin on things.

Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by Woody13
Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Thanks for digging up a quote for me since you can't come up with an argument of your own.

You have anything to ADD to this conversation, or just being a jerk as usual?

Bagheera

Brad,

I agree with most of your interventions on this board. In this case, the Mouse Tales post was in response to people having trouble finding a book. If pointing them to MouseShoppe (which is not owned by MousePlanet, by the way) is against policy, I will gladly remove it. The news post was because we have a number of people "on the ground" at DL, as it were, and I thought that we might have some more info than the folks here. Also, since that's our news coverage, there's no need to weed through all of the petty bickering that seems to be running through this thread here. I know that the bickering has made you sensitive to people stepping out of bounds, but I honestly had no intention of violating terms of service here. If Steve or one of the other moderators could confirm that the posts are in violation, I will gladly remove them. If not, I thought that they would be helpful.

Mark

Bagheera

OK, we seem to have brought this thread to a screeching halt. I need to get to bed and won't be on again until tomorrow night. Steve (or any other moderator who may act on Brad's reporting of my posts), if you find that my posts are in violation of forum rules, please consider removing them (or editing them to blank) rather than banning me. If they are in violation, please clarify for me the rules between referring people to other sites (as I have done for WDWIG as much as MousePlanet) and advertising. I did not intend any violation, just helpful info. Thanks.

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by Fievel
Congratulations...your posts are now reporrted....

Have fun over at your website...it's the only one you'll be allowed to visit soon...
If every atom in the universe were a pixel they would not form a big enough :rolleyes: to express how I feel after reading your post.

niteobsrvr

We often times tend to forget that corporations conduct business in order to make a profit. We also fail to realize that in order to obtain this profit, management for the longterm has been replaced by an emphasis on short term goals.

The emphasis on short term goals is, to be more specific, the ability of an individual shareholder to profit from an increased share price due to earnings etc.

Please note, I did not use the term shareholder value. That term implies a concern for not only the current business period but also for a long term business plan that focuses on broader goals and measures besides quarterly income.

The situation at Disneyland is not different than that of most other corporate entities. With many of the American products in the mature stage of their lifecycles, it becomes harder and harder to maintain increased sales and profits. The short term solution is to cut costs by shifting jobs to lower paid workers in developing countries, reducing staff count while increasing productivity, and hiring more third party or contract organizations who have no vested interests in your wellbeing beyond the check that they receive for services.

The long term effects of this management scenario is that products lose a certain level of quality, workers spend less time handling more tasks with a greater margin of error, and customer service is nothing more than lipservice. I could write quite an essay on this situation but lets just suffice it to say that everytime we use a product we are placing ourselves at risk. Unfortunately, today this risk may be higher, not due to lack of ability to improve products or services, but because these things cost money that corporations arent prepared to part with and consumers aren't prepared to pay in the marketplace.

The Disneyland accident is very unfortunate. I hope that in the future we can get over the short-term management scenario and move back to providing products that are made with integrity every step of the way even if it sacrifices a few cents per share from time to time.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
*gives everyone a gourmet philly greasesteak with Filet and pepperjack...

followed by...

a 5 liter mini keg of Grolsch and a pack of Certs for afterwards*

dopey

Originally posted by DMC-12
Hey, :lol:

Flush your PM box.... its full rat ______________ :lol: ;)

I like to keep the PM box full just for times likes these. :lol:

I made an exception for you, though, Mr. Mestopholes of the Media! All clear.

GaryT977

The latest from CNN:

(CNN) -- Disneyland will offer counseling to all those who need it following an accident at the California theme park that left one man dead on Friday, according to a Disney spokesman.

The mid-morning accident on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster left 10 people injured. All of those hurt have been released from the hospital, officials in Anaheim, California, said Saturday.

The accident happened when the locomotive derailed and disconnected from the rest of the train, which contains the passenger cars. Officials said they were still unsure how it disconnected, and said that would be part of the investigation.

All six victims taken to UC-Irvine Medical Center were released by Saturday afternoon, spokeswoman Kim Pine said. Five had minor injuries and the sixth, Vicente Gutierrez, 22, had facial lacerations, bruises, and fractured ribs, she said.

Two people were taken to Western Medical Center, where they were treated and released Friday, a spokeswoman said. Another two were treated at the scene.

While Disneyland remains open to visitors, the attraction is closed while investigators try to determine the cause of the accident, Disney spokesman Bob Tucker said. The Anaheim Fire Department and the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) are in charge of the probe, he said.

"Now we're just in that kind of investigative period where we're letting the folks do their work," Tucker said. He said the cause of the accident was still unknown.

Tucker said no concerns about safety were voiced Saturday, but "we are providing counseling for anybody that requires it."

The man killed in the accident was not identified. He died at the scene.

At a park so proud of its safety record, the accident led Disney chief executive Michael Eisner to make a personal appearance Friday and assure guests and employees that their safety is the company's "top priority."

Disneyland's Web site says the cars of the train blast through makeshift mine shafts, bat caves, and caverns, past falling rocks and tumbling waterfalls. The ride includes plenty of twists and turns along the way, and passengers are warned to beware of falling rocks.

The ride was in full operation at the time of the accident, but authorities said they were unsure how many people were aboard. The ride can hold a maximum of 32 people.

Jay Rasulo, president of Walt Disney Theme Parks and Resorts, said all of its rides are tested every morning, and that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad had undergone its test Friday morning without any problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom