Accident at Disneyland (CA)

Shaman

Re: You Wonder

Originally posted by Roswellqueen13
You knew that Disney needed an accident of some sort to make them realize that they can't control every aspect of Disney.

Lets see if they learn from their mistakes. :lookaroun

I hope they have...;)

enough

I hear this morning that the fatality was of a 22 year old and that it was not due to a heart attack (which I originally heard it was). Does anyone know how the person died?

GaryT977

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by PurpleFigment
How about this...all the members of the media should just quit their jobs and no one will ever know anything.

I hate to say this, because I know politics are verboten on this site, but here's my problem with the American media:

70% of Americans polled think Saddam Hussien was responsible for 9/11.

It's a far cry from Watergate and the heyday of investigative journalism.

GaryT977

Re: Re: You Wonder

Originally posted by mkt
that's what I've been saying all along. Glad to see someone agrees with me. Great first post.. welcome to my buddy list on the boards.

Man, you're easy! :animwink:

strobe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by GaryT977
I hate to say this, because I know politics are verboten on this site, but here's my problem with the American media:

70% of Americans polled think Saddam Hussien was responsible for 9/11.

It's a far cry from Watergate and the heyday of investigative journalism.

My only comment, because politics are a big no no around here:

You cannot blame the media for the ignorance of the average person. The media has plenty to be blamed for, however, the igorance stems from the combination of LAZINESS and the ridiculous information being beamed out across the Internet non-stop.

People these days will believe anything they read or hear, and with all of the junk emails, chains, fake announcements, and conspiracy websites circling about, it's not even surprising that 70% would believe something so ridiculous.

That's not even addressing all of the misinformation that friends and relatives can spread to everyone they know in two seconds flat.

To me, blaming the ignorance of the general public solely on the media is equivalent to blaming McDonalds for being fat (which people are actually doing as well).

Clemster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by strobe
My only comment, because politics are a big no no around here:

You cannot blame the media for the ignorance of the average person. The media has plenty to be blamed for, however, the igorance stems from the combination of LAZINESS and the ridiculous information being beamed out across the Internet non-stop.

People these days will believe anything they read or hear, and with all of the junk emails, chains, fake announcements, and conspiracy websites circling about, it's not even surprising that 70% would believe something so ridiculous.

That's not even addressing all of the misinformation that friends and relatives can spread to everyone they know in two seconds flat.

To me, blaming the ignorance of the general public solely on the media is equivalent to blaming McDonalds for being fat (which people are actually doing as well).

:sohappy: very well said :D

Talking of how family and friends can spread misinformation recently someone started a rumor that a guy "pleasured" himself in a qtr pounder at my local McDonalds and someone had to goto hospital and the store was shut down for 2 days, that rumor spread like wild fire and traded dropped massively and within a week so many people all over town knew about it, the real funny thing everyone shared the same friend as so many different people all knew the person it happened it.
Of course it was a complete lie, I worked at the restaurant 3 years ago and these days use the office there once a week (as its close to my home) and of course the first the store heard of it was when people were phoning up constantly asking if it was true.

Did you know Burger King mix pieces of cheap horse into their meat to cut on costs and give that unique taste? :rolleyes:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by enough
I hear this morning that the fatality was of a 22 year old and that it was not due to a heart attack (which I originally heard it was). Does anyone know how the person died?

the heart attack was never true. There was a misunderstanding when someone was listening to a radio scanner. What was said was 'Total Arrest' (ie- dead), but was misunderstood for 'Cardiac Arrest' (ie- heart attack). The person was crushed to death

GaryT977

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by strobe
You cannot blame the media for the ignorance of the average person.

I can, however, blame the media for contributing to the ignorance of the general public.

GaryT977

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by Clemster
Did you know Burger King mix pieces of cheap horse into their meat to cut on costs and give that unique taste? :rolleyes:

That and the flame-broiling! :D

prberk

I had no access to the internet over the weekend, and the news in Virginia on this was scant. Can anyone please provide a concise overview on what they have disclosed so far. I had heard that the 22 died of cardiac arrest earlier, but MKT has corrected that above.

So, can you please tell me in short what we know so far on the following:
1. What exactly happened and how.
2. The injured.
3. How the company responded, and whether Disneyland reopened over the weekend.

Thank you

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by prberk
I had no access to the internet over the weekend, and the news in Virginia on this was scant. Can anyone please provide a concise overview on what they have disclosed so far. I had heard that the 22 died of cardiac arrest earlier, but MKT has corrected that above.

So, can you please tell me in short what we know so far on the following:
1. What exactly happened and how.
2. The injured.
3. How the company responded, and whether Disneyland reopened over the weekend.

Thank you

1- OSHA is still investigating... it will probably a few weeks before findings are announced.

2- 11 were injured, 2 were treated on the scene, 7 were minor, 1 was moderate (that was 22-year-old Vicente Gutierrez of Wilmington, CA who sustained facial injuries, rib fractures and a broken collarbone), 1 was fatal. 6 of the injured went to the UC Irvine Medical Center, 2 were treated at Western Medical Center in Anaheim,

3- The company responded as was expected. Giving the runaround.. yadda yadda. Disneyland reopened, but Big Thunder Mountain remains closed. The WDW BTM remains closed due to rehab, and the Tokyo/Paris clones reopened after it was determined they were different coasters (the Tokyo version was made by a Japanese firm and operates differently).

here were my sources... lol:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20030908a7.htm

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2003/09/08/investigators_probe_killer_disneyland_ride/

http://www.worldleisurejobs.com/newsdetail.cfm?codeID=5561

http://www.sanmateocountytimes.com/Stories/0,1413,87~11268~1618176,00.html

prberk

Thanks Rob.

I really will be interested in seeing what becomes the ultimate anwer to how and what exactly happened to the ride.

Paul

strobe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by GaryT977
I can, however, blame the media for contributing to the ignorance of the general public.

ABSOLUTELY - AGREED :lol:

Momx3

As a former ER nurse I just wanted to clear up something. Cardiac Arrest does not mean heart attack. A cardiac arrest happens when the heart stop beating. It can be caused by the blood loss from trauma, an irregular heart beat or a blocked artery (heart attack) or other things. In this case it sounds like trauma caused a cardiac arrest which is also called a complete arrest. Not trying to be picky but I thought that might help clear up some of the questions about what happened.

mkt

Premium Member
thanks for the update and clarification.. but the radio calls still said Total Arrest

Momx3

Total and complete are the same thing. There is a respiratory arrest and a cardiac arrest and when they both happen they call it a complete or total arrest. I'm not trying to nit pick, sometimes I can't help it the nurse in me wants to come out!:lol:

mkt

Premium Member
I trust you... i'm just going by what the spokesman said... he said in their definition it was death

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom