Accident at Disneyland (CA)

dopey

As a former reporter, I can assure you that the media is, indeed, quite evil.

Don't listen to DMC and PurpleFigment; they know the truth!

I got out of the news biz because I got tired of the blood sacrifices every morning. You know how hard it is to find quality sacrificial goats in Chicago?!!!

And some media companies -- not to name names or anything, but ah...ah...ahtribunechoo! -- are too cheap to provide clean robes every day. The dry cleaning bills were killing me and Beelzebub wasn't pitch(fork)ing in to help out.

Thankfully, I'm now in an honest profession: PR. :)

PurpleFigment

Dopey --

Sounds like you were in a pretty bad shop! I've been lucky to have worked in a great shop and our parent company is actually a dream to work for. I didn't think it was possible, but I did find a good one! My company gives us gift certificates around the holidays AND a hefty bonus the first part of the year. It can be tough at times, but overall, it's great! Way better than folding shirts at the mall or something. I worked in a blood-______________ shop here, too...I couldn't wait to get out of there and will never go back to their rather sleezy tactics. And I wouldn't touch the unnamed company with a 10-foot poll. No one is happy there!

I'd be back in PR, too...but unfortunately there are just 30 places in the world I can practice my PR specialty, and it's soooooooo hard to get back in.

We're not ALL evil...I promise!

Shaman

I'm exhausted from reading all these posts I left yesterday and the post were at page 12......maybe we should do away with this thread and start all over.....lets try to get along...after all the guy that died and his family got it way worst.

:wave: :)

PurpleFigment

It is hot here...mostly 'cause I'm frustrated that I can't find a single nightside story...maybe I should try that create-a-lead thing my competition is always doing! I'll call Beelze--err---my ND-- and see if what it will take to get something descent to air....

Scooter

I'm sitting here looking at the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Poster on my wall.

In the poster, it looks like the train is Derailing.:(

Kind of ironic isn't it?

They should change the poster now don't ya think?

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the man killed on this ride and to the familys of those injured and shaken up as well.

I hope this never happens again.
:cry:

The_CEO

Originally posted by Scooter
They should change the poster now don't ya think?

For one who owns the poster, yes it is coming off the track. It is Ironic. But considering these Attraction Posters were made way back when. I don't think the generic public cares if the poster is changed. They just want the ride to get the updates to prevent such a thing from happening in the future.:)

General Grizz

It's a modern thing, too...has nothing to do with "way back when..." i.e. the giant advertisment for Tower of Terror that shows the elevator falling down...disattached...right outside the MGM Studios.

The_CEO

But my point is, it's just a poster. No need to pull it off the market. When people died on Splash Mountain did they pull the poster. No. All the accidents on HM.. Didn't take that poster of the market either.

bgraham34

I would be on the ride today if it was open. I am not that worried about it happening again. I mean I flew a week after September 11th. To where, Disney World.

PhotoDave219

Now that y'all crucifying the media.... a bit of good news. In Today's Washington Post, they printed a 1 inch blurb on page A20 (back page) about the incident. Thats it.

As much as Dateline and the NYT is playing this up, apparently some news organizations arent going to over hype this just cuz it's Disney.

And FTR, The post went with the Bermuda Hurricane package as its dominant A1.

Sidenote... The Mouseplanet page alleged that Professional Photogs on the scene at BTMRR were threatened with confiscation of film or eviction. Now speaking as someone who has receievd such threats, they tend to go in one ear and out the other. Theyre generally ignored, BUT seeing as there havent been any pics surface that werent shot from a helicopter except those on MousePlanet (and they arent of the incident or triage area) i wonder if they were even allowed in the park.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
on today's Orlando Sentinel, the bottom quarter of the 3rd page went to this. What was on our front page? Football.

PurpleFigment

Ground video

SOMEONE must have pulled out their camcorder and gotten some shots of it. There's got to be some grainy, shaky home video of it out there. They just have to surface...or if they already have, they're probably trying to see which station will pay the most.

The_CEO

Re: Ground video

Originally posted by PurpleFigment
SOMEONE must have pulled out their camcorder and gotten some shots of it. There's got to be some grainy, shaky home video of it out there. They just have to surface...or if they already have, they're probably trying to see which station will pay the most.

Umm.. That would be the last thing someone would think about while they gather themselves..Trapped....:rolleyes:

mkt

Premium Member
Fox..:rolleyes:

for their new special, When stuff goes horribly wrong, but we're super stoked cause someone caught it on tape.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by mkt
on today's Orlando Sentinel, the bottom quarter of the 3rd page went to this. What was on our front page? Football.

It got front page down here, but a small note, and then a 1/4 page inside.

Now, I read on MousePlanet that the deceased's name is Marcello Torres. It sounds an awful lot like a Brazilian name. If he was indeed Brazilian, I can only imagine what the family is gonna be saying on the news on a few days and worse, the feast the papers down here will be having over this. :rolleyes:

mkt

Premium Member
From Newsday.com

Los Angeles - One man died and 10 other riders were hurt Friday when train cars filled with passengers broke loose from a locomotive in a dark tunnel on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride.
The accident occurred at the Anaheim park at about 11:20 a.m., 2:20 p.m. in New York, after the small red engine with its open-top cars sped through the faux desert landscape and uphill into a tunnel, where the cars separated and the locomotive derailed.
Moments after the accident, riders clambered from the cars and agitated park guests ran out, calling for help. "Someone is hurt bad. It's really serious. Get someone up here," cried two young men running away from the site of the accident, said John and Laurie Whims of Seattle, who were waiting at the head of the line to take the next train.
Authorities said passengers were trapped inside the cavern for up to an hour before firefighters and paramedics could get them out. Frontierland was quickly sealed off and park employees kept guests from entering the area.
The man who died, Marcello Torres, 22, was in the first car behind the locomotive, and paramedics extricated his body from inside a tunnel section of the ride, said city spokesman John Nicoletti.
Ten other riders, ranging in age from 9 to 47, were treated for moderate to minor injuries at local hospitals. Among the most severely hurt was Vicente Gutierrez, a 22-year-old Wilmington, Calif., man who suffered facial cuts and chest injuries, including possible broken ribs. He was listed in serious condition, said Marcida Dodson, a hospital spokeswoman.
The death, the 10th since the park opened in 1955, was the first fatality at the Anaheim theme park since 1998 when a cleat tore loose aboard the Columbia sailing ship and struck a visitor in the head.
"We are shocked and saddened by this," said Cynthia Harriss, president of the Disneyland Resort. "Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of the victim and all the people who were injured."
Later in the day, Michael Eisner, chief executive of the Walt Disney Co., attended a news conference at the park to express his condolences to the victims' families.
"For the last 50 years, the safety and well-being of our theme park, our guests and our employees has been and continues to be our top priority," Eisner said. Eisner and company officials declined to comment in detail, saying Anaheim police and the state's Division of Occupational Safety and Health are investigating the incident. They said the ride would remain closed until the inquiries are complete.

mkt

Premium Member
From the The Topeka Capital Journal/AP

Disneyland accident

An accident on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster Friday killed one man and injured 10 other riders, officials in Anaheim, Calif., said.The ride's locomotive separated from the train cars behind it, but officials didn't know whether that was the cause or an effect of the accident.
The man who died, Marcello Torres, 22, of Gardena, was in the first car behind the locomotive, and paramedics extricated his body from inside a tunnel section of the ride, said city spokesman John Nicoletti. The man wasn't immediately identified.
Eight of the injured, ranging in age from 9 to 47, were taken to the hospital, while two others were treated at the scene, Nicoletti said. One of those taken to the hospital had moderate injuries, while the other cases were considered minor, he said.
The roller coaster takes people on a twisting, turning ride aboard what is supposed to be a runaway train in the Old West. Riders zoom past falling rocks and tumbling waterfalls, occasionally entering tunnels that look like mine shafts and caverns.
The attraction, which opened in 1979, can carry as many as 32 people. The ride is computer-controlled, and the operator doesn't ride aboard the train.
The train cars remained on the tracks, and some passengers were able to evacuate on their own, so the total number of riders wasn't immediately known, Nicoletti said. It wasn't clear whether the locomotive had derailed.
"On behalf of the entire cast of the Disneyland Resort we are shocked and saddened," said Cynthia Harris, president of Disneyland Resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom