A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Cletus

Pandora, Rivers of Light, the Tree of Life show, Harambe Village, the Soarin 3rd theater, Frozen Ever After, Tron Track, the Toy Story 3rd track, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, the new Magic Kingdom Hub, massive road widening/rerouting projects resort wide, 3 parking lot expansions, 3 parking structures, the Disney Springs overhaul, the Grand Floridian Villas, the Polynesian overhaul/expansion, the Wilderness Lodge expansion, and the Art of Animation Resort are/were happening concurrently in addition to the resort wide MM+ which likely took as much time, money, R&D and resources as much of that other stuff combined. Billions upon billions in investment, several massive construction/creative projects happening at once. But I know, WDW has done nothing, take forever to do nothing, and when nothing opens they increase attendance and profit.

There's a massive difference between Disney not spending money on WDW and them not spending money on the things that you (or I) prefer them to invest in. The later is what's actually occurring.

On the horizon is half a billion being dumped into Hollywood Studios (on top of Toy Story/Star Wars Land), a similar budget for EPCOT that will probably double or triple in size (the budget, that is), Magic Kingdom should be announcing complete overhauls of two entire lands in the park that will happen over the next 5 years that will have 9 figure budgets as well. That is in addition to the 1.5+ billion dollars worth of projects already currently underway.
Really? We are bringing DVC, Hub expansions, road widening and parking structures into this? Well, then I guess Universal should count the new employee parking garage, a gate to keep peeps from crossing the road from Cabana to Sapphire falls, Cabana Bay expansion, Kong, Raptor Encounter, Hulk coaster reboot, new Hulk lockers, Volcano Bay, Sapphire Falls hotel, new Adventura (?) hotel, NBC Sprots Grill and Brew and the ridiculously awesome Toothsome Chocolate Factory into the mix. Oh, and they got some nifty new security cabanas at the Citywalk hotel entrances.

And then there is this diddy....

Mike S

Pandora, Rivers of Light, the Tree of Life show, Harambe Village, the Soarin 3rd theater, Frozen Ever After, Tron Track, the Toy Story 3rd track, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, the new Magic Kingdom Hub, massive road widening/rerouting projects resort wide, 3 parking lot expansions, 3 parking structures, the Disney Springs overhaul, the Grand Floridian Villas, the Polynesian overhaul/expansion, the Wilderness Lodge expansion, and the Art of Animation Resort are/were happening concurrently in addition to the resort wide MM+ which likely took as much time, money, R&D and resources as much of that other stuff combined. Billions upon billions in investment, several massive construction/creative projects happening at once. But I know, WDW has done nothing, take forever to do nothing, and when nothing opens they increase attendance and profit.

There's a massive difference between Disney not spending money on WDW and them not spending money on the things that you (or I) prefer them to invest in. The later is what's actually occurring.

On the horizon is half a billion being dumped into Hollywood Studios (on top of Toy Story/Star Wars Land), a similar budget for EPCOT that will probably double or triple in size (the budget, that is), Magic Kingdom should be announcing complete overhauls of two entire lands in the park that will happen over the next 5 years that will have 9 figure budgets as well. That is in addition to the 1.5+ billion dollars worth of projects already currently underway.
Wow. How could Universal ever compete with third theaters, tracks, road widenings, parking lots, new hubs, and a mall (however nice)? Here's a hint, for Universal I was only counting what's actually being added to the parks as well. You know, the attractions that attract people. Sorry if it offends you that that's what most people care about. Disney does seem to finally be getting out of their rut though starting with Pandora and they do have more and better night shows but where did you get that Magic Kingdom will be overhauling two lands in the next 5 years?

Either way I think I'm done here.
Really? We are bringing DVC, Hub expansions, road widening and parking structures into this? Well, then I guess Universal should count the new employee parking garage, a gate to keep peeps from crossing the road from Cabana to Sapphire falls, Cabana Bay expansion, Kong, Raptor Encounter, Hulk coaster reboot, new Hulk lockers, Volcano Bay, Sapphire Falls hotel, new Adventura (?) hotel, NBC Sprots Grill and Brew and the ridiculously awesome Toothsome Chocolate Factory into the mix. Oh, and they got some nifty new security cabanas at the Citywalk hotel entrances.

Don't forget other additions that have happened to City Walk. Apparently they count just as much as rides and other park expansion. Should we add the new Auntie Anne's in Marvel Superhero Island to the mix as well? ;)

DDLand

On the horizon is half a billion being dumped into Hollywood Studios (on top of Toy Story/Star Wars Land), a similar budget for EPCOT that will probably double or triple in size (the budget, that is), Magic Kingdom should be announcing complete overhauls of two entire lands in the park that will happen over the next 5 years that will have 9 figure budgets as well. Iger has also stated that they intend to bring a significant number of new resort rooms to WDW as well be it through expansions or new properties. That is in addition to the 1.5+ billion dollars worth of projects already currently underway.
Are you talking about the design phase included, or just construction?

It's easier for us to talk only about construction because it's harder to determine when projects stop and start behind the scenes. If you're talking only about concurrent construction, your list of projects is inaccurate. For example:

Test Track opened late 2012, Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land weren't announced until mid 2015 with construction even later. Obviously they were doing some planning at that point, but those ideas didn't pan out and ground was far from broken. Grand Floridian Villas were a 2013 project and Wilderness Lodge wasn't started until far later.

(if you're talking about design phase too, I can't really say)

You also might as well add the new World of Sports and Typhoon Lagoon additions too, along with the new convention center at YC.

You are correct that Disney gets a somewhat bad take on their construction speed, and it's not all deserved. Construction techniques have moved ever into the future, but so to have legal requirements, technological needs, and complexity and scale of design. This leaves build times as long or even longer than they were years ago. I also think that Disney Springs was initially underestimated; I personally had no idea how massive it was going to be.

Even with all these factors, I have to say Universal takes the cake for expansion. You have to remember Universal was adding all of it's expansions to just two parks, a handful of resorts, and a shopping district (while building new hotels and a water park) while Disney was spreading it's expansion out over 7 gated attractions, a shopping district, and over 20 resorts.

You kind of have to create a per-capita Park expansion list to really get a flavor for their aggressiveness. Disney's expansion should be greater than twice as much as Universal's, which it's not.

Also worth noting the RCID was funding the infrastructure/garages through longterm municipal bonds; whereas Universal was emptying their pockets to get the work done. They're hard to compare.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

On the horizon is half a billion being dumped into Hollywood Studios (on top of Toy Story/Star Wars Land), a similar budget for EPCOT that will probably double or triple in size (the budget, that is), Magic Kingdom should be announcing complete overhauls of two entire lands in the park that will happen over the next 5 years that will have 9 figure budgets as well. Iger has also stated that they intend to bring a significant number of new resort rooms to WDW as well be it through expansions or new properties. That is in addition to the 1.5+ billion dollars worth of projects already currently underway.
Nice list.

It has been over a decade since any of the four WDW parks opened a new E Ticket.

Just sayin'.

PizzaPlanet

Oh no! I love ET! Steven Spielberg is going to be pis*ed! :eek:
I rode ET this summer, and man was it in bad shape. The human AAs were barely moving, there was tons of garbage laying below the track on the alien planet, and ET's voice was so muffled you could barely make out your name. It is truly sad that they can't maintain their most classic attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I rode ET this summer, and man was it in bad shape. The human AAs were barely moving, there was tons of garbage laying below the track on the alien planet, and ET's voice was so muffled you could barely make out your name. It is truly sad that they can't maintain their most classic attraction.
ET has been a bone of contention on so many levels.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, that's just you. Seuss Landing was not cheap and it is not plastic. They developed a brand new building technique where each building facade is entirely hand carved styrofoam covered in stucco covered Kevlar.

Seussland is designed to evoke the non-Euclidean geometry shown in Ted Geisel's drawings so I'm not surprised that a new construction technique was needed as is there a straight line or linear curve in any Dr Seuss drawing?.

spacemt354

Chili's

I think the larger part of his point was overlooked.
People who are saying Disney doesn't spend money are wrong. They do spend money - it's just not on stuff they want, and that's an entirely different discussion.

PizzaPlanet

Ride based on one of the best platformers of all time, or ride based on dated movie? I was sad about rumours of ET going until I heard the replacement would be this. If true, I want to be the one that detonates it :happy:.
I'm sorry, but a Yoshi ride feels redundant if they are already building Mario and DK E-tickets, in addition to flat rides. I'm just worried Nintendo land will only consist of the Mario universe. I was hoping we would also get to visit Hyrule, but that may not be the case now.

Disneyhead'71

I think the larger part of his point was overlooked.

People who are saying Disney doesn't spend money are wrong. They do spend money - it's just not on stuff they want, and that's an entirely different discussion.
They bought those nice cabanas for Tomorrowland. Maybe some day Universal can raise themselves up to that level of sophistication.

Disneyhead'71

I'm sorry, but a Yoshi ride feels redundant if they are already building Mario and DK E-tickets, in addition to flat rides. I'm just worried Nintendo land will only consist of the Mario universe. I was hoping we would also get to visit Hyrule, but that may not be the case now.
Hyrule will come. Just not in phase one. Hyrule was rumored to take over the remainder of The Lost Continent in IOA. But has most likely been pushed to the 3rd/(4th) gate.

JediMasterMatt

I tune in to check the past days events and see a bunch of Universal vs. Disney debate all sparked from a simple Nintendo announcement. No matter how you want to spin this news, ultimately, Universal's play is another smart one in a long string of smart moves they've made in Orlando. I'm sure both resorts will benefit from this. The next five years will be really interesting in Orlando as we will see what TDO queues up behind SWL. Blue sky projects are great and all (EPCOT redos, Mouse attractions, etc, etc.); but, until bulldozers start moving earth, nothing is guaranteed beyond what is already in motion. More projects end up in coffee table books than what get funded at WDW. The same resort that mothballed growth after 9/11 with every intention of going back to business as usual once the crowds returned has yet to awaken from that slumber. This is the same resort that had to be strong armed by Burbank into taking the more expansive/expensive SW project they are getting now.

The problem isn't Disney as the ship has been mostly righted in Anaheim. SWL's location aside, the resort is back to being run in a consistently Disney Parks quality way.

The problem is still in Orlando. I haven't been back since summer 2015, so my return in less than 60 days will be telling. While I'll be happy to see projects moving forward, I am concerned by the continued general huckster vibe of upcharge announcements (more exclusive magical experiences with a premium charge attached), more diminished hours and services (I know I'll be getting back to the hotel early in January), more shuttered attractions, and of course... tents and parking lot refreshments.

So... the continued less for more routine we've been getting for well over a decade.

In all, it is an exciting time to watch and see what happens at both resorts in Florida. It harkens back to the old 16 bit console wars. I wonder if we will see something like the advertisement below in the future:

dont.jpg

Of course, who would've thought in 1990 that Disney would be Sega to Universal's Nintendo? When wandering around 1990's EPCOT Center.. why would they?

Pixie Dust huffers will be the first to remind us that WDW has Blast Processing[tm] on it's side.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sticking my nose in here, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train is not an E - many wish it was.

Yet it COULD have been if TDO had not significantly changed the ride from what WDI proposed, That's what sad about 7DMT is if the one originally pitched had been built it would have been a E-ticket for the ages, No NOT a thrill ride but an immersive E-ticket nonetheless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom