A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

The Empress Lilly

I can't help but laugh when I read this, but not for the reason you might think. Stiff Competition is the name of the first 'adult' film I ever watched. Really!

As to the rest, I'm sorry you have been converted to the dark side. It generally happens to thinking spirits no matter how much they detest my delivery, which seems to come off harsher here than when I say it to their faces in the real world. The power of the written word, I guess.

Curious, did you just visit the MK? I was at the park for parts of two or three (I can't even recall because the park is by far my least favorite castle park in the world) days this month as well.
I was at the MK one month ago, late September / early October. We probably walked right past each other! (Were you that person I kept driving into with my scooter? That guy wearing that Incredible Hulk shirt, pin lanyard with exclusive Chicken Little Fifth Anniversary pins, plus a '1st Visit' button you flashed at every CM?)

I did mean Stiff Competition, the movie. :cool:

Disneyson

^ Correct. Sunset, Hollywood Blvd. and Echo Lake represent "real places" in "Classic Hollywood". The rest of the park is split into miniature "studios", which is where the theming is meant to represent "backstage". "Pixar", "Disney", and "The Muppets" have their own "studios", and "Lucas Films" has kind of been created just off of Echo Lake. Unless Sunset becomes a sort of "Marvel Studios" area, the Guardians theme will not scan correctly into the park and will most likely be jarring.

DinoInstitute

It's doing exactly that, actually.
You can't quote half of my sentence and try to prove me "wrong". As I continued to say, it's not 'ruining' the theme that much more than other additions. Which includes Carsland, Bugs Land, scattered Little Mermaid stuff... How do you justify those to have not messed with the theme of the park. Or, as you reply to another poster its false that Hollywood Land is not a portrayal of a Hollywood studio, but rather classic Hollywood, why do you think Monsters Inc and Frozen fit better in Hollywood Land than GotG?

Travel Junkie

Erm, have you been to the Hollywood section of DCA? I'd hardly compare it to Sunset Boulevard... plus it's meant to represent a Hollywood studio, not an actual portrayal of classic Hollywood.

Not saying it's the right choice out west either, but the area it's in out there is certainly more flexible thematically.

Erm I own a Disneyland AP. That should answer your question as to whether I've been there or not. DCA's TOT is actually on Sunset Blvd haha. I disagree strongly with the premise that thematically DCA's TOT is expendable.

No doubt DHS's TOT is a better experience than DCA in pretty much all facets. As has been pointed out numerous times people would have an absolute fit if WDW re-themed the worst Pirates ride in existence. If you ignore one of them is better executed than the other, the similarities between the two towers is pretty striking in terms of what they mean to the themeing of the park they are in and their surroundings. The excuses given and the blase attitude about being ok with DCA's getting the axe while freaking out over the possibility of DHS has primarily to do with what resort you visit as opposed to actually looking at the issue.

DinoInstitute

^ Correct. Sunset, Hollywood Blvd. and Echo Lake represent "real places" in "Classic Hollywood". The rest of the park is split into miniature "studios", which is where the theming is meant to represent "backstage". "Pixar", "Disney", and "The Muppets" have their own "studios", and "Lucas Films" has kind of been created just off of Echo Lake. Unless Sunset becomes a sort of "Marvel Studios" area, the Guardians theme will not scan correctly into the park and will most likely be jarring.
He was referring to DCA

Travel Junkie

You can't quote half of my sentence and try to prove me "wrong". As I continued to say, it's not "ruining" the theme that much more than other additions. Which includes Carsland, Bugs Land, scattered Little Mermaid stuff... How do you justify those to have not messed with the theme of the park. Or, as you reply to another poster its false that Hollywood Land is not a portrayal of a Hollywood studio, but rather classic Hollywood, why do you think Monsters Inc and Frozen fit better in Hollywood Land than GotG?

Let's not pretend DHS is perfectly in theme throughout. Monster's Inc. is obviously a miss and I can find equal misses in DHS. The Little Mermaid Ride itself is not a good fit, even though yes there have been "mermaid sightings" throughout the years off the coast. The building the ride is in is a representation of a real building in San Francisco. Carsland is about route 66 and California is very Route 66. Carsland reminds me of California a lot. Bugsland is a stretch but it was originally put in as an extension of the part of the park that spotlighted California's massive farming industry. Frozen is a stage show that highlight's the large stage scene in LA. I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face a stage show doesn't belong in a land dedicated to Hollywood. It's full of stage shows.

Unless JPL sends a probe up to find Starlord, GOTG has nothing to do with California.

Edit: To add, my point is that in each of the other instances if you follow the logic behind how the decisions were made there was an attempt to fit them in, even if they were not perfect fits thematically. This is a pure IP dump for either coast. That is bad for all Disney fans.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Uhm, what exactly is it supposed to be themed to then? They did a pretty poor job if it's meant to be an idealized version of actual Hollywood... not to mention the fact that it was literally called Hollywood Pictures Backlot until recently.

The buildings are clearly facades and there's a giant fake sky at the end of the street, there's fake sound stages all over the place, etc. I would not have ever assumed that it's meant to be anything other than a studio. They simply renamed it and cheaped out on actually retheming anything other the entryway when DCA got its make over.

If you contend that it's actually supposed to be representative of a golden age of Hollywood, then it has to be one of the most poorly done area that has ever existed in a Disney park.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Then why are TOT and RnRC very clearly set in present day?

Castle Cake Apologist

Erm I own a Disneyland AP. That should answer your question as to whether I've been there or not. DCA's TOT is actually on Sunset Blvd haha. I disagree strongly with the premise that thematically DCA's TOT is expendable.

No doubt DHS's TOT is a better experience than DCA in pretty much all facets. As has been pointed out numerous times people would have an absolute fit if WDW re-themed the worst Pirates ride in existence. If you ignore one of them is better executed than the other, the similarities between the two towers is pretty striking in terms of what they mean to the themeing of the park they are in and their surroundings. The excuses given and the blase attitude about being ok with DCA's getting the axe while freaking out over the possibility of DHS has primarily to do with what resort you visit as opposed to actually looking at the issue.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I literally said I don't necessarily agree with it in California either in the very post you quoted. Just that an entire area wouldn't necessarily have to be completely torn down and redone if they do.

It's really only on Sunset Boulevard because there's a little street sign in front of it saying so. I'd hardly compare the two areas in any way.

Californian Elitist

I thought you were referring to DCA and not DHS in that post.

My bad!

Californian Elitist

You can't quote half of my sentence and try to prove me "wrong". As I continued to say, it's not 'ruining' the theme that much more than other additions. Which includes Carsland, Bugs Land, scattered Little Mermaid stuff... How do you justify those to have not messed with the theme of the park. Or, as you reply to another poster its false that Hollywood Land is not a portrayal of a Hollywood studio, but rather classic Hollywood, why do you think Monsters Inc and Frozen fit better in Hollywood Land than GotG?

That part was the only one that mattered, hence the reason I cut it short.

Radiator Springs may not take place in California, but at least it looks like it actually COULD take place somewhere in Southern California. Speaking of Cars Land, the original purpose for Car Land, before the move Cars was attached to the project, was to celebrate the car culture that is present in California, particularly Southern California.

A bug's land doesn't scream California in general, but there's nothing super imposing about a land themed to bugs in a park themed to California. Same goes for The Little Mermaid. Compare these two to Mission Breakout, a ride about space characters, one of them being a talking raccoon and a green female alien to name a few, that will be replacing another ride in which the land it sits in is supposed to represent 1930's/1940's Hollywood. How is that okay?

I agree Monsters doesn't fit. Frozen on the other hand is performed in the Hyperion, which is designed to look like the Los Angeles Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles, a movie palace that opened in 1931.

Over the years, Disney has taken time to come up with ways to combine California, albeit a romanticized California that's based around some truth, with Disney. There are multiple examples of this, and now a ride based on GotG is about to go in. Even when the Marvel area is built, it will still be far-fetched and it will be interesting to hear what the dummies at Disney will say to justify its placement in California Adventure.

Absimilliard

Over on a roller coaster fan forum, someone tried to pass this apologist puff piece as "balanced": https://pjmedia.com/parenting/2016/10/28/disneys-shocking-truth-exposed/?singlepage=true

Basically, it tries to rewrite history by claiming "Uncle Walt's Business model was unsustainable" and present bring a bunch of MBA's as a an improvement among other things. On that same forum, the owner of the forum and his members like to bash realistic Disney fans like me and many others here as Mr. Negative who can't feel the magic.

EPICOT

The difference between GOTG TOT and any other additions to DCA that were not thematically consistent is that this "new" ride can be seen from almost anywhere in the park. It will stick out like a horribly sore thumb. The fact this this ugly warehouse will be seen behind Carthy Circle should make any Disney fan outraged.

Attachments

• disney-california-adventure.jpg
    disney-california-adventure.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 99

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Ask for proof of money being allocated. Not that even that means anything these days ... but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this.

I doubt the Imagineers picking pieces of the DCA Tower show that will be used in O-Town was done just for the heck of it.

I sorta wish someone from Disney would say something. No, no one official ever would. But someone like Joe Rohde who isn't afraid to go all political (not shocking, but I agree with almost his views) on the Tweeter could end all the speculation, by saying flat out that either or both of these projects are not happening.

Yet, he doesn't.

Again, he doesn't have to confirm something to deny something else ... yet nothing.

Very telling.

I do not think both of these projects are happening. Do I think they may both be in development with only one getting the OK? Yes, I absolutely believe that is the case right now.

I've now heard variations from different people. The only consistency is GotG is one of them. The 3 strongest (with lots of "art") are the UoE, RnR and ToT. I am inclined to believe the Marvel direction of the IP park. It's weird when a media mouth piece talks about it as a fait-accompli. Strange things happen after a drink or 2 in California.

*1023*

Bairstow

The difference between GOTG TOT and any other additions to DCA that were not thematically consistent is that this "new" ride can be seen from almost anywhere in the park. It will stick out like a horribly sore thumb. The fact this this ugly warehouse will be seen behind Carthy Circle should make any Disney fan outraged.

Er, this wouldn't be the same Disney park with the giant steel roller-coaster and huge light up ferris wheel with a 50-foot tall mickey mouse face on the side of it, is it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom